Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remote shell with Win 2000
Special Forums Cybersecurity Remote shell with Win 2000 Post 4113 by Neo on Wednesday 18th of July 2001 08:17:25 PM
Old 07-18-2001
I recommend that you use Kerberos V5 is the W2K environment and then Kerberize your rsh environment on UNIX OR:

Run SSH client on W2K and SSHD services on UNIX.

Normally, without these security extras, I disable r-commands.

Perhaps someone else has a better answer to your question ?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

ftp a file from remote pc of win 2000

Hello. I am programming in C on HP-UNIX system,i want ftp a file from remote pc which is window 2000 system,i donot how config my HP-UNIX and pc, i donot how program in C or in shell. Thank you for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdyjm
3 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

win 2000

Dear user sorry if the subject is not for that fourm .. but I get mad .. I wana solve that problem.. I started my new semster .. and last semster.. and there I use the net under a very huge list of restriction .. no msn massenger .. no yahoo massenger .. no underground site .. no fourms (I am ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RuDe_BuT_CoOoL
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Samba to join a win 2000 Domain

I am trying to set samba up to join my windows 2000 domain and I am having troubles If anyone if familiar with this help would be greatly appreciated I issue the following command # ./smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r DOMAINCONTROLER And the following gets returned load_client_codepage: filename... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gennaro
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freebsd and win 2000 working 2gether?

Hi Brothers, Please, I've just purchased a new PC and I would like to have both win 2000 and freebsd in the same hard drive, ( 40GB and 128Mb ) can you please help how to set up my new hard drive , please! Thank you..... aka Polymorphous (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Polymorphous
2 Replies

5. Programming

A C++ programing Shell on Win

Hello I need to translade the power of unix command shell (grep, sed, awk, wc, etc..) to windows. In my work every day I administrate 15 unix server ans 18 windows server, and I have the problem the absolutly limitation of windows shell. I´m a system administrator but I know programming. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dalmus
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote access from Windows 2000 into Solaris 8

All, I am looking for the easiest solution that will let me remote access from a Windows 2000 client into a Solaris 8 server. Any suggestions? Thanks Kevin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin1166
3 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

shell and vImproved for win env

i have pleasure in using shell scripts and vi editor. VI Improved on Linux is also good. Is there a way that allows using shell as command interpretor and VIm as editor to work on windows? (not vi.exe) any help....... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paresh n doshi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a shell script in UNIX m/c from win 7 using ksh

I need to run a shell script on unix machine from windows 7. I used the "RSH" command in win XP successfully for this, But on win 7 it is not working. Can any body tell me how to run RSH on win 7 or any other command for similar use. I use the command as below rsh <unix m/c> -l <username>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arup1980
1 Replies
rsh(1c) 																   rsh(1c)

Name
       rsh - remote shell

Syntax
       rsh host [-l username] [-n] command
       host [-l username] [-n] command

Description
       The  command  connects to the specified host, and executes the specified command.  The command copies its standard input to the remote com-
       mand, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error.
       Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command.  The command normally terminates when the remote command does.

The  remote  username  used is the same as your local username, unless you specify a different remote name with the -l option.  This remote
       name must be equivalent, in the sense of to the originating account.  No provision is made for specifying a password with a command.

If you omit command, then instead of executing a single command, you are logged in on the remote host using

Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted  metacharacters  are  interpreted  on  the  remote
       machine.  Thus the command

rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile

appends the remote file remotefile to the localfile localfile, while

rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" otherremotefile

appends remotefile to otherremotefile.

Host  names are given in the file Each host has one standard name (the first name given in the file), which is rather long and unambiguous,
       and optionally one or more nicknames.  The host names for local machines are also commands in the directory If you put  this  directory	in
       your search path then the can be omitted.

Options
       -l username	   Logs you in as the specified user, not as your user login name.

-n		   Redirects all command input to

Restrictions
       The  command  is  confused by output generated by commands in a .cshrc file on the remote host.	In particular, `where are you?' and `stty:
       Can't assign requested address' are messages which can result if output is generated by the startup file.

If you are using and put a in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it blocks even if no reads are posted by
       the remote command.  If no input is desired you should redirect the input of to using the -n option.

You cannot run an interactive command like Use

Stop signals stop the local process only.

Files
       /etc/hosts
       /usr/hosts/*

See Also
       rlogin(1c)

rsh(1c)