Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I need to delete the content out of a number of logs Post 41109 by Jbolin01 on Monday 29th of September 2003 03:46:10 PM
Old 09-29-2003
I need to delete the content out of a number of logs

I'm just starting out in scripting (taking online classes) but I need to know how to clean out (delete) the content of a number of logs. All of the files end in 'trc'. Does anyone have a script or command (SED or AWK) I can use?

Julie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete old logs

Hello All, We have a directory where we have old archived logs. They are numbered <logfile>.log.1 till <logfile>.log.100 or more. I just want to keep 10 log files and delete others through the script. Please advise. Thanks, Chiru (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete logs every 3 hours

Hi, I want to setup a cronjob that will delete logs every 2 hours. I have script that delete logs per day. but logging is too big and i want to run a conjob that will delete every 2 hours. this is my current command but it deletes on a per day basis. find . -name "*.log*" -o -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete logs or take backups under specific user

I have to write a shell script like this-- 1) Utility will be run under the directory owner. 2) This utility will clean files in ABC/logs. And following logs will be backed up or deleted. Dispatcher Logs Middle tier Logs Sage log Sage monitor log Sage db clean up result log Core files ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to archive logs older than 5 days & then delete them?

My code is tar -cvf logs.tar `find /usr/openv/logs/512*.log -mtime +2` && find *.log* -mtime +2 -exec rm {} \; this gives me output as: tar: Missing filenames:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timus1980
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete content in a file (delete content only)

Hi Friends I have a file called processLog.txt file processLog.txt --------------- echo "line starts "$LINE suppCode=${LINE:0:3} #gatewayArchive=`scp root@mrp-gateway:/usr/local/apache/data/PLAT/MIMUS/upload/PROD/archive/112042708173000.txt /home/krishnaveni/scripts/tempFolder` #echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete last 10 days logs

Hi Can u please tell me how to delete last 10 days logs .. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pb18798
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To delete logs older than 30 days

I want to write a shell script that deletes all log files in a directory that are older than 30 days except for 3 files: I am using the following command: find /tmp/logs -name "*.log" -mtime +30 -exec rm -f {} \;But this command deletes all the log files. How can i modify this script that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmunir
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Group/Sort logs by thread number

Hello Experts, For the following sample log, can you tell me how I can sort it or group it by thread number. To be specific, I just want to group them together so that its easy to analyize. Thanks. 2012-08-17 00:00:06,369 INFO ExecuteThread: '33' for queue:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samjna
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete logs older than 60 days

i am using HP-UX OS...... delete logs older than 60 days find -mtime +60 | grep -i '.*log' | xargs rm -mtime is nt available in HP-UX, pls tell me other option ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compress and delete the older logs

Hello Guys, Can you please help me with a script which zips the older log files(1-2 weeks) and delete them? I want to run the script manually instead of setting it up in a cron job. Appreciate your help. Regards, Kris (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriss.gv
6 Replies
DH_CLEAN(1)                                                          Debhelper                                                         DH_CLEAN(1)

NAME
dh_clean - clean up package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_clean [debhelperoptions] [-k] [-d] [-Xitem] [path...] DESCRIPTION
dh_clean is a debhelper program that is responsible for cleaning up after a package is built. It removes the package build directories, and removes some other files including debian/files, and any detritus left behind by other debhelper commands. It also removes common files that should not appear in a Debian diff: #*# *~ DEADJOE *.orig *.rej *.SUMS TAGS .deps/* *.P *-stamp It does not run "make clean" to clean up after the build process. Use dh_auto_clean(1) to do things like that. dh_clean should be the last debhelper command run in the clean target in debian/rules. FILES
debian/clean Can list other paths to be removed. Note that directories listed in this file must end with a trailing slash. Any content in these directories will be removed as well. OPTIONS
-k, --keep This is deprecated, use dh_prep(1) instead. The option is removed in compat 12. -d, --dirs-only Only clean the package build directories, do not clean up any other files at all. -Xitem --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being deleted, even if they would normally be deleted. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. path ... Delete these paths too. Note that directories passed as arguments must end with a trailing slash. Any content in these directories will be removed as well. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_CLEAN(1)