Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Dual booting Linux and Solaris Post 41029 by AndroidI6 on Saturday 27th of September 2003 12:36:13 PM
Old 09-27-2003
Error Dual booting Linux and Solaris

Ok, so I'm a bit new to the whole Unix/Linux thing, but I'm no stranger to dual booting...

However, the problem that I am having is that I am unable to create a dual boot with Unix (in this case I's using Sun Solaris 9.0 x86) and for linux either RH 9 or Mandrake 9.1, but for the purpose of just getting it to work, I've been doing RH9

I'll breifly explain what I have tried and then any help/insights will be greatly appreicated!

Firstly, I have a 20Gb drive, so I have plently of space to work with on this... Next, I have tried two different approaches to this, I have tried both installing RH9 first, and then Solaris 9. That didn't work, so I tried installing Solaris 9 then RH9. No luck so far.

Two other tools I'm using in this process are Partition Magic 8 and Ranish. I boot up Ranish and it tells me that the different partitions have an "Inconsistant overlap", in red letters for both trys. I tried using Partition Magic this time, to create three empty partitions on the hard drive, one that is used to install the swap and what not, because Solaris likes to put that slice at the beginning of the drive, and the other two empty to install RH and Solaris.

The installiation of RH went perfect, and I was able to see it in partmagic and ranish without problems, no more inconsistance in the partition table, and I was able to see the empty space in the Solaris install. I then installed the Solaris. It seemed like everything was fine, it went through the entire install and looked like everything was going to work. Then when the machine rebooted, it didn't boot into either OS's, but instead gave me a screen with a "bad pbr" error.. Or atleast I'm pretty sure thats what it said.

A friend and I have been trying to get this to work for about a week now, and we are out of ideas... Ofcourse neither of us are experts in Unix/Linux, so I ask... Does anyone here have any ideas, or possible solutions?

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual booting :-)

I have some problems with LILO/Grub... When I try to start Linux it says> EBDA too big How can I fix this problem? //Nevsky (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nevsky
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about dual booting

question: 1. Which partioning wizard is better to use, System Commander V7.0, or Partition Magic V7.0? 2. Which version of linux is better to start with for beginners Mandrake, SuSe, or Corel? :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CmpKillr
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Dual boot (Booting Windows from Linux MBR)

Hi , I have two disk installed with Linux(disk 1) and WinXP(disk 2) .Now i am changing Hardisk jumbper manualy to get in to Linux/Windows .I want to configure my REDHAT linux boot manager to list Linux and WindowXP and wanna boot according to my choice . Here is what my fdisk -l shows (Only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishn
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Dual Booting with UNIX

Dear All, I want use Unix (Sun Solaris 10) in my PC, and now I'm using windows, can Unix intalled to My PC and make dual booting like linux?? any one have experienced about this..? please help me..? Thank you for your help Regards, Heru (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heru_90
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris/Linux Dual Boot

From googling around, I have found that dual booting isn't so hard... if you are installing both for the first time. However, I couldn't find anything on if I can preserve my Solaris 10 partition that is already installed. Any words of advice? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Booting

I first had windows xp 64-bit installed on my system, and then installed fedora 10 on a partition (partition was created while installing fedora). When installation was completed, I could not boot on Windows or Fedora, I keep on getting this disc error and system asking to press ctrl+alt+del to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucianvibz
0 Replies

7. SuSE

Dual booting suse 11.1 and XP

I'm running Tiny XP on my laptop and i'm wanting to dual boot it with OpenSUSE 11.1. can anyone guide me how to set it up or direct me to a site that could? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendanb
2 Replies

8. Linux

Problem in dual booting installation of linux on windows

Dear friends, I am experiencing the trouble while installing the Red Hat Linux 4 on top of windows XP, after booting its asking "What type of media contains the packages to be installed". Steps I followed: Step 1: left the free space as unpartitioned, (I also tried with the FAT32... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Dual Booting - Solaris image CD doesn't read in BIOS

I am trying to install solaris 10-x86 as second OS on top of Windows XP. I have downloaded iso image from Oracle website and burned into bootable cd. when I loaded into CD-drive and made changes in BIOS to boot from CD. Its not reading from CD drive. After restarting the system with CD(solaris... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunSolars_admin
8 Replies

10. Red Hat

Dual booting problem

Hi all, I have an problem with dual booting. I installed windows7 and i want to install redhat linux on same system. When i insert the cd and boot with the cd it is not showing the hard drive. If i boot with hard disk its booting with windows7. But, if i boot with cdrom it is showing an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
7 Replies
ISP(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    ISP(4)

NAME
isp -- Qlogic based SCSI and FibreChannel SCSI Host Adapters SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device scbus device isp Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): isp_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
This driver provides access to SCSI or FibreChannel devices. SCSI features include support for Ultra SCSI and wide mode transactions for SCSI, Ultra2 LVD (for the ISP1080 and ISP1280), and Ultra3 LVD (for the ISP12160). Fibre Channel support uses FCP SCSI profile for FibreChannel. and utilizes Class 3 and Class 2 connections (Qlogic 2100 is Class 3 only, minor patches to the Qlogic 2200 to force Class 2 mode). Support is available for Public and Private loops, and for point-to-point connec- tions (Qlogic 2200 only). The newer 2-Gigabit cards (2300, 2312, 2322) and 4-Gigabit (2422, 2432) are also supported. Command tagging is supported for all (in fact, FibreChannel requires tagging). Fabric support is enabled by default for other than 2100 cards. Fabric support for 2100 cards has been so problematic and these cards are so old now that it is just not worth your time to try it. FIRMWARE
Firmware is available if the ispfw(4) module is loaded during bootstrap (q.v.). It is strongly recommended that you use the firmware available from ispfw(4) as it is the most likely to have been tested with this driver. HARDWARE
Cards supported by the isp driver include: ISP1000 SBus Fast Wide, Ultra Fast Wide cards, Single Ended or Differential cards. ISP1020 Qlogic 1020 Fast Wide and Differential Fast Wide PCI cards. ISP1040 Qlogic 1040 Ultra Wide and Differential Ultra Wide PCI cards. Also known as the DEC KZPBA-CA (single ended) and KZPBA-CB (HVD differential). Qlogic 1240 Qlogic 1240 Dual Bus Ultra Wide and Differential Ultra Wide PCI cards. Qlogic 1020 Qlogic 1020 SCSI cards. Qlogic 1040 Qlogic 1040 Ultra SCSI cards. Qlogic 1080 Qlogic 1280 LVD Ultra2 Wide PCI cards. Qlogic 1280 Qlogic 1280 Dual Bus LVD Ultra2 Wide PCI cards. Qlogic 12160 Qlogic 12160 Dual Bus LVD Ultra3 Wide PCI cards. Qlogic 210X Qlogic 2100 and 2100A Copper and Optical Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (single, dual). Qlogic 220X Qlogic 2200 Copper and Optical Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop PCI cards (single, dual, quad). Qlogic 2300 Qlogic 2300 Optical Fibre Channel PCI cards. Qlogic 2312 Qlogic 2312 Optical Fibre Channel PCI cards. Qlogic 234X Qlogic 234X Optical Fibre Channel PCI cards (2312 chipset, single and dual attach). Qlogic 2322 Qlogic 2322 Optical Fibre Channel PCIe cards. Qlogic 200 Dell Branded version of the QLogic 2312 Fibre Channel PCI cards. Qlogic 2422 Qlogic 2422 Optical Fibre Channel PCI cards (4 Gigabit) Qlogic 2432 Qlogic 2432 Optical Fibre Channel PCIe cards (4 Gigabit) CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
Target mode support may be enabled with the options ISP_TARGET_MODE option. BOOT OPTIONS
The following options are switchable by setting values in /boot/device.hints. They are: hint.isp.0.disable A hint value to disable driver in kernel. hint.isp.0.fwload_disable A hint value to disable loading of firmware ispfw(4). hint.isp.0.prefer_memmap A hint value to use PCI memory space instead of I/O space access for. hint.isp.0.prefer_iomap A hint value to use PCI I/O space instead of Memory space access for. hint.isp.0.ignore_nvram A hint value to ignore board NVRAM settings for. Otherwise use NVRAM settings. hint.isp.0.fullduplex A hint value to set full duplex mode. hint.isp.0.topology A hint value to select topology of connection. Supported values are: lport Prefer loopback and fallback to point to point. nport Prefer point to point and fallback to loopback. lport-only Loopback only. nport-only Point to point only. hint.isp.0.portwwn This should be the full 64 bit World Wide Port Name you would like to use, overriding the value in NVRAM for the card. hint.isp.0.nodewwn This should be the full 64 bit World Wide Node Name you would like to use, overriding the value in NVRAM for the card. hint.isp.0.iid A hint to override or set the Initiator ID or Loop ID. For Fibre Channel cards in Local Loop topologies it is strongly recommended that you set this value to non-zero. hint.isp.0.role A hint to define default role for isp instance (target, initiator, both). hint.isp.0.debug A hint value for a driver debug level (see the file /usr/src/sys/dev/isp/ispvar.h for the values. SYSCTL OPTIONS
dev.isp.N.loop_down_limit This value says how long to wait in seconds after loop has gone down before giving up and expiring all of the devices that were visi- ble. The default is 300 seconds (5 minutes). A separate (nonadjustable) timeout is used when booting to not stop booting on lack of FC connectivity. dev.isp.N.gone_device_time This value says how long to wait for devices to reappear if they (temporarily) disappear due to loop or fabric events. While this timeout is running, I/O to those devices will simply be held. dev.isp.N.wwnn This is the readonly World Wide Node Name value for this port. dev.isp.N.wwpn This is the readonly World Wide Port Name value for this port. SEE ALSO
da(4), intro(4), ispfw(4), sa(4), scsi(4), gmultipath(8) AUTHORS
The isp driver was written by Matthew Jacob originally for NetBSD at NASA/Ames Research Center. BUGS
The driver currently ignores some NVRAM settings. Target mode support is not completely reliable yet. It works reasonably well for Fibre Channel, somewhat well for Qlogic 1040 cards, but does not yet work for the other cards (due to last minute unannounced changes in firmware interfaces). BSD
February 28, 2007 BSD