Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple Question ever asked
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple Question ever asked Post 41002 by RTM on Friday 26th of September 2003 01:34:10 PM
Old 09-26-2003
Ahh, I see said the blind man.

You setup a file called .plan in your home directory. Then when you use the finger command it will show info under plan.

$ cat .plan
who knows
$ finger myaccount
Login name: myaccount In real life: William Gates
Directory: /export/home/unixops Shell: /bin/ksh
On since Sep 26 09:02:40 on pts/0 from casqfe3.mycom.com
12 seconds Idle Time
No unread mail
Plan:
who knows
$

There is also a .project file that can be used. See the man page for finger.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Hi All, I am new to UNIX Shell Scripting. I want to know what is the difference between the following two statements. if and if Thanks & Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvkamesh
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

a simple question

I have a problem, why should root access only be provided from a login on the console, and why should a user be forced to use "su" command to perform system maintenance, rather than logging in? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnxi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I thought I asked the question before but I haven't sorry

:D could any one answer my previous question... just looked through logg and found no such question that I had asked.. please any input would help \.. :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

asked question about script before missed ansewr..

linux fedora core2 :) i am trying to write a script to clear, date, pwd and tty a linux termnal or konsole.. when I test the tty against $0 i am, getting a premission denied on the terminal that I am trying to printf to.. I tried using an awk command, test condition, an if then fi clause, but... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hopefully simple question

When i type cd etc/shadow it says that file or directory doesnt exist? Is there a way to show this or am i typing something wrong? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

7. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Question

If given some output such as: "I'm having a senior moment" How do you print the last six characters to the screen? I'm thinking with awk or sed but can't remember how. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stepnkev
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
finger(1)						      General Commands Manual							 finger(1)

NAME
finger, f - Displays user information SYNOPSIS
finger [-bfhilmpqsw] [user...] The finger command displays information about the users in the passwd file. OPTIONS
Produces a briefer version of long format output. Suppresses display of header line (the first line that defines the displayed fields). Suppresses printing of files in long and brief long formats. Produces a quick listing with idle times. Forces long output format. Assumes user specified is an account name, not a given name or surname. Suppresses printing of files in long and brief long formats. Pro- duces a quick listing, including only login name, terminal name, and login time. Forces short output format. Forces narrow, short format listing. DESCRIPTION
By default, information for each user on the host is listed. This information includes the login name, terminal name and write status (an * (asterisk)) before the terminal name appears (if write permission is denied), and login time. The finger command uses a longer output format when you specify a user or a list of users. You can use account name, given name, or sur- name (as listed in /etc/passwd) to specify users. This multiline format includes the information described previously, as well as full name, office number, and phone number (if known); the user's home directory and login shell; idle time; any plan that the user has placed in the file in the user's home directory; and the project on which the user is working from the file in the home directory. (Idle time is minutes if it is a single integer, hours and minutes if a : (colon) is present, or days and hours if a d is present.) If a host is not specified, the information is for users on the local host; otherwise, the information is for users at the specified host. You can specify a user on a remote host by using the form user@host; if you specify @host alone, the standard format listing is provided on the remote system. If a long format printout is to be produced, the -l option is passed to the remote finger daemon. No other options are honored for remote finger queries. The finger command displays user information only if the specified host has a fingerd server running or inetd is configured to start fin- gerd. If fingerd is not running, the command returns a "Connection refused" error message. (For more information on setting up this server for your host, see the fingerd(8) daemon reference page.) If you want to make information available to other users who run finger on your user ID, you can create the following files in your home directory: A file that contains plans. The file can contain more than one line. A file that states what project you are currently working on. The file can contain only one line. The f command is a supported alias for the finger command. EXAMPLES
To get information about user frankel at host1, enter: $ finger frankel@host1 Login name: frankel In real life: Sam Frankel Office: 3D08 ext5555 Home phone: 555-9982 Directory: /u/frankel Shell: /usr/bin/sh Last login Thu Jun 28 10:37 on tty56 from venus.abc.org No plan. To get information about user chen at host1, when chen has both a and a file in his home direc- tory, enter: $ finger chen@host1 Login name: chen In real life: A. B. Chen Office: 3D10 ext5322 Home phone: 210-9876 Directory: /u/chen Shell: /usr/bin/sh On since May 16 11:06 on tty3 1 minute 2 seconds Idle Time Project: aquatic entomology Plan: Complete Phase 1 research by end of second quarter. Produce draft report by end of year. To get information about all users logged in to the host host1, enter: $ finger @host1 FILES
Contains user and accounting information. Contains user information. Contains last login times. Contains a user's plan. (Optional file) Contains one-line description of a user's project assignment. (Optional file) SEE ALSO
Commands: fingerd(8), hostname(1), inetd(8), rwho(1), users(1) finger(1)