Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat file problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cat file problem Post 40985 by bensky on Friday 26th of September 2003 09:50:43 AM
Old 09-26-2003
Hi,

although its not so nice to convert the * to a - its a solution.
Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with cat

On Solaris 5.8 in ksh, I have a sample.txt with contents A 105 305 B 205 405 C 100 198 ....................... when I do a cat sample.txt the O/P is exactly as above but when I do a echo `cat sample.txt` the O/P changes to A 105 305 B 205 405 C 100 198........... Everything is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macrulez
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat problem

Hello again; I have a file in this format ./this is/first/1 ./this is/second/2 ./this is/third/3 and i am using this file in a for loop with cat command like this for i in `cat directory.txt` do .......... done Bu there is a problem because my directory is "this is" but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: redbeard_06
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with cat with PERL Substitute

system("cat FILENAME | perl -e 'while(<>) { print $_;}'"); system("cat FILENAME | perl -e 'while(<>) { $_ =~ s/XXX/YYY/g; print $_;}'"); First command works fine but second command gives the following error: syntax error at -e line 1, near "{ =~" syntax error at -e line 1, near ";}"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me with a little problem with command cat

Hi I am having a little trouble understanding how to use this cat command. My question is the following: write a command to create a file called catFiles that contains three copies of the file catFile. If you can help me to understand how to create this, I would be very greatful. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rushhour
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using CAT command in PERL

Hi All, I was trying to run the cat command using perl SCRIPT for my daily reports. However cat command is not working in PERL. please help me. cat FILE1.txt |cut -d "|" -f1 >INPUT1.txt cat FILE2.txt|wc -l *9111*|>INPUT2.txt paste INPUT1,INPUT2 >OUTPUT.txt Thanks in advance ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adaleru
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with cat

I am trying to use the following code: cat *.txt > OutPutFile.txt Using files with a expression in one single line that always end with " ; " something like this: Block1.txt Block2.txt Block3.txt The expected result should be something like this: OutPutFile.txt: My code works OK in this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with cat

Hey all this is probably something simple but not sure why I am getting this error. Any help is appreciated. Expected output: $ ./ex_01.ksh word1 word2 word3 word4 arguments: word1 word2 word3 word4 Number of arguments: 4 what I am getting: ./ex_01.ksh word1 word2 word3 word4 cat:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxn00b
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with egrep and cat

Hello, I want to find some keywords in a dd image. I have created a keyword file (1.txt) and search the dd image using, cat /media/sdb1/test/c.dd.001 | strings | egrep -i --color -f 1.txt It works, But how can I get the file name and path? Many thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yzy9951
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while displaying(cat) file content inside telnet loop .

Hi Team, Not getting the file output inside my email which i am sending from unix box. . Please refer the below code : #!/bin/sh { sleep 5 echo ehlo 10.56.185.13 sleep 3 echo mail from: oraairtel@CNDBMUREAPZP02.localdomain sleep 3 echo rcpt to: saurabhtripathi@anniksystems.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tripathi1990
1 Replies
SYSTEMD-CAT(1)							    systemd-cat 						    SYSTEMD-CAT(1)

NAME
systemd-cat - Connect a pipeline or program's output with the journal SYNOPSIS
systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] [COMMAND] [ARGUMENTS...] systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-cat may be used to connect STDOUT and STDERR of a process with the journal, or as a filter tool in a shell pipeline to pass the output the previous pipeline element generates to the journal. If no parameter is passed, systemd-cat will write everything it reads from standard input (STDIN) to the journal. If parameters are passed, they are executed as command line with standard output (STDOUT) and standard error output (STDERR) connected to the journal, so that all it writes is stored in the journal. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Prints a short help text and exits. --version Prints a short version string and exits. -t, --identifier= Specify a short string that is used to identify the logging tool. If not specified, no identification string is written to the journal. -p, --priority= Specify the default priority level for the logged messages. Pass one of "emerg", "alert", "crit", "err", "warning", "notice", "info", "debug", or a value between 0 and 7 (corresponding to the same named levels). These priority values are the same as defined by syslog(3). Defaults to "info". Note that this simply controls the default, individual lines may be logged with different levels if they are prefixed accordingly. For details see --level-prefix= below. --level-prefix= Controls whether lines read are parsed for syslog priority level prefixes. If enabled (the default), a line prefixed with a priority prefix such as "<5>" is logged at priority 5 ("notice"), and similar for the other priority levels. Takes a boolean argument. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example 1. Invoke a program This calls /bin/ls with STDOUT/STDERR connected to the journal: # systemd-cat ls Example 2. Usage in a shell pipeline This builds a shell pipeline also invoking /bin/ls and writes the output it generates to the journal: # ls | systemd-cat Even though the two examples have very similar effects the first is preferable since only one process is running at a time, and both STDOUT and STDERR are captured while in the second example only STDOUT is captured. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), logger(1) systemd 208 SYSTEMD-CAT(1)