Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to find a file in UNIX without find command? Post 40900 by bluo on Wednesday 24th of September 2003 11:47:07 PM
Old 09-25-2003
i hv work it out,thx

Last edited by bluo; 09-25-2003 at 03:09 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk Usage in GB and Unix command to find the biggest file/folder

Hi All, Please help me out 1) Command to find the disk usage in GB. I know that du -k will give in kilobites. 2) How to find the Biggest file/folder in a given set of files/folders. Thanks in advance Regards, Manas (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix find command

I need help with tweaking the unix find command. currently the find command searches all the directories under $div/users modified in the last 1 day. find $div/users -type d -mtime +1 I need this changed to find only subdirectories and sub-subdirectories modified in the last 1 day under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnnarendra
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

6. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix find command

This command is intended to compare two drives to see if all files are identical, can some one please decode what it is doing. find / -path /proc -prune -o -path /new-disk -prune -o -xtype f -exec cmp {} /new-disk{} \; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple string in one file using find command

Hi, I want find multiple string in one file using find coomand. And keeping it in one variable.grep is not working. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

wanted to find both link file and ordinary file using single find command

find . -type fl o/p is only the ordinary file. where in it wont give the link files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)