Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to find a file in UNIX without find command? Post 40875 by Perderabo on Wednesday 24th of September 2003 01:37:10 PM
Old 09-24-2003
I must agree with google, when you intentionally ignore an obvious solution to your problem, you make this seem like it might be homework. Posting a homework question is against our rules.

Why do you need to find a file without using the find command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk Usage in GB and Unix command to find the biggest file/folder

Hi All, Please help me out 1) Command to find the disk usage in GB. I know that du -k will give in kilobites. 2) How to find the Biggest file/folder in a given set of files/folders. Thanks in advance Regards, Manas (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix find command

I need help with tweaking the unix find command. currently the find command searches all the directories under $div/users modified in the last 1 day. find $div/users -type d -mtime +1 I need this changed to find only subdirectories and sub-subdirectories modified in the last 1 day under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnnarendra
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

6. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix find command

This command is intended to compare two drives to see if all files are identical, can some one please decode what it is doing. find / -path /proc -prune -o -path /new-disk -prune -o -xtype f -exec cmp {} /new-disk{} \; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple string in one file using find command

Hi, I want find multiple string in one file using find coomand. And keeping it in one variable.grep is not working. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

wanted to find both link file and ordinary file using single find command

find . -type fl o/p is only the ordinary file. where in it wont give the link files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies
praliases(1)						      General Commands Manual						      praliases(1)

NAME
praliases - display system mail aliases SYNOPSIS
praliases [-f filename] [--] [alias_name...] OPTIONS
Displays the aliases using the specified dbm file instead of the system aliases file. OPERANDS
The alias name to find. If no aliases are given, then the entire contents of the dbm file are displayed. DESCRIPTION
The praliases command displays system aliases used by the sendmail(8) program. If no arguments are given, the praliases command displays all of the system aliases contained in the file /var/adm/sendmail/aliases. An alternative file can be specified using the -f option. Specific aliases can be displayed by specifying one or more alias names. [Tru64 UNIX] Aliases can be created either with or without the terminating null character ('') considered to be part of the name. Under Tru64 UNIX, an attempt is made to find either version; other vendor's implementations may check only for the key with an embedded NULL. [Tru64 UNIX] The system aliases file under Tru64 UNIX is stored under the /var/adm/sendmail directory. Other vendor's implementations may expect the file to exist under the /etc directory. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned as defined in /usr/include/sysexits.h: No errors occurred. An invalid argument was specified. The specified dbm file does not exists. EXAMPLES
To display all of the system aliases, enter: praliases To display a mailing list called foo, enter: praliases foo To display the contents of a dbm file my_list, enter: praliases -f my_list SEE ALSO
Commands: makemap(8) Files: aliases(4) praliases(1)