Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: clueless - shell question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers clueless - shell question Post 40802 by dangral on Tuesday 23rd of September 2003 02:10:31 PM
Old 09-23-2003
if you are setting the JAVA_HOME in a script, You need to remove the # from the beginning of the line. It's commenting out whatever follows it on that line.

to see what a specific variable is defined as:
echo $VARIABLE

so in your case you would do:
echo $JAVA_HOME

if it comes out blank, it is not defined.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

clueless...advice please!

for more than 5 years i have used windows based operating systems and hardwear, but recently i have decided to venture into the world of unix systems. very recently infact- i dont own a unix system yet and was wondering about hardwear.. i was planning on buying a second hand system from ebay... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andyh411
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suggestion: Alternative OS for Windows - Totally Clueless on Unix/Linux OS

Can anyone tell me a good alternative to Windows? OS that can connect to a Windows domain and use for everyday (can use with Oracle). Easy to learn. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genesisX
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix on windows? clueless here

I'm trying to learn how to use unix by installing it on my windows xp without having to format anything. I got some advice to get vmware player and run unix on it. I got the player, but now I'm stuck on figuring out how to use it or even find the unix download that I can use with it. Anyone knows a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tnad
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Same ol "no acceptable cc found in $PATH" but I'm not clueless... just still a noob

Hey All, Let me start out w/ I have serched the forums and found this to be a typical problem. None of the threads have been able to help in my situation though. I know cc or gcc needs to be installed in ...bin]# (or lead the path of the app to wherever gcc is when compiling) so the app can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SloYerRoll
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Shell Question: how to print the shell script name ?

Suppose I have a script named "sc.sh" in the script how to print out its name "sc.sh"? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clueless about how to lookup and reverse lookup IP addresses under a file!!.pls help

Write a quick shell snippet to find all of the IPV4 IP addresses in any and all of the files under /var/lib/output/*, ignoring whatever else may be in those files. Perform a reverse lookup on each, and format the output neatly, like "IP=192.168.0.1, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: choco4202002
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Question

Hi All, I am having this problem and I can't find a decent answer anywere. I'am trying to perform multiple command in a shell script. For example mkdir test tar cvzf test.tar.gz test/ rmdir test The problem I get is that if I run this file as a cronjob, with a big "test" folder; the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dswz
4 Replies

8. Fedora

I need urgent help - Basic shell scripts but I'm clueless.

Hello. I am currently in a class dealing with shell scripts. I know some commands and get the basics of command line in Fedora 11. But the coding....I'm a bit lost. I was very ill for 2 weeks and missed a lot, much of which there are no notes provided. I'm not asking you to do my homework,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Feuyaer
1 Replies

9. Fedora

Clueless re Java: /opt vs. /usr/local

It seems this is a oft debated item, that's over my head. So here's what I've got: Java 7 set up at /opt/ but I really want it at /usr/local... What have I done? Have: Debian 7 (whezzy) with gnome, so what do I do to set things back where it should be? I guess this is a hot topic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sas
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)