Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .netrc refuses password
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers .netrc refuses password Post 40756 by w33man on Tuesday 23rd of September 2003 04:45:31 AM
Old 09-23-2003
Computer

Thanks lads as I said at the start Perdo just trying to get my head round this Unix stuff, but you two have helped a great deal. Any books forums or other paraphenalia you could recommend would be greatly appreciated, especially with regard to programming in Unix.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

netrc file encrypted password

Hi, I do not want the plaintext password to appear in the netrc file. So I want to encrypt the password. Is there a way to encrypt the password and still make ftp to use the netrc ? Thanks in advance. -Gow:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggowrish
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab refuses to save changes!

I'm trying to create a new crontab entry for a user on a debian box but whenever I do a crontab -e or crontab -u username -e then edit the crontab (with vim as my default editor) and :wq. I get the error message: no crontab for username - using an empty one crontab: no changes made to crontab... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: fire>ant>
18 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to encript password in .netrc file

hi, I am using .netrc file WITH OUT encripting the password Code in .netrc file: ------------------- machine $SYSTEM NAME login FTFOA001 password 1Q2W3E4R how to encript password in .netrc file.(i should not use "1Q2W3E4R" as password). after encripting i should able to connect with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: getgopu25
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script to generate hyperlinks refuses to work

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and not a programmer, but I'm writing a bash script to preprocess definitions of technical terms by inserting hyperlinks pointing to other pages in the glossary before the pages are posted to our server, using a standard naming convention for the pages. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markfgilliland
3 Replies

5. Debian

Postfix refuses POP clients after mysqlizing back end

Hello, I have attempted to mysqlize the backend of my postfix config. Since doing that I have not been able to connect to my server via pop clients. I am using courier as my pop server. I am suffering authentication failures even though the correct username and password are supplied. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluethundr
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Virtual CDROM refuses to quit

Good day. I have a Sun Netra X4200 M2 server with AMI BIOS. When I performed a iostat -En, I noticed that the AMI Virtual CDROM had taken device id c0t0d0, however, I need c0t0d0 for the real CD/DVD device. So, I disabled the Virtual CDROM in the BIOS and rebooted. Lo and behold, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BRH
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Sendmail refuses to send via relay

Hi I have two realtively identical Solaris zones. They both appear to have the same config in relation to sendmail. But, when I send a test email using mailx the first one sends via a mail relay and the other sends via localhost. I need them both to use the relay but can't figure out what is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregb
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have firewall rules to open ports, why telnet refuses connection?

Alright... this question comes from the fact that I'm trying to setup postfix to relay messages to Office 365 SMTP but its giving me connection refused... I read that if you have doubts if your port is open or not you should telnet to them so thats what I did. This is a Red Hat 6.3 box. My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A function that refuses to run anywhere else but main()

Hi. I have some code, that for some reason, I could not post it here in this post. Here's the address for it: #if 0 shc Version 4.0.1, Generic Shell Script Compiler GNU GPL Version 3 Md - Pastebin.com First off, I used "shc" to convert the code from shell script to C. And The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
6 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)