Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /var/log/boot.msg
Operating Systems Linux SuSE /var/log/boot.msg Post 40721 by Jody on Monday 22nd of September 2003 09:51:58 AM
Old 09-22-2003
/var/log/boot.msg

I have a Dell Latitude c840 that runs SuSE 8.0 Enterprise server that hangs on bootup on trying to create /var/log/boot.msg. It boots in rescue mode just fine. I've tried deleting the old boot.msg file that was in there, but that did no good.

Does anyone have any advice/know of a website with the answer?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-direct the error msg to log file

Hi All, I have an expression as follows:- a=`expr ${i} + ${j}` >> $log_file 2>&1 Here, if any of the values i or j or both happens to be empty then the "expr" returns error as "expr: 0402-050 Syntax error." My problem is I am not able to re-direct this error to the log file. Its is getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rony_daniel
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help interpreting var/log/messages log

I'm using RHEL and my var/log/messages file is filled with "FTP session opened/closed" lines that happen all day: Aug 2 04:04:38 web proftpd: 74.125.56.10 (142.231.76.249) - FTP session closed. Aug 2 04:05:11 web proftpd: 74.125.56.10 (142.231.88.123) - FTP session opened.Is this normal? We... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaspol
2 Replies

3. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/var/adm/messages vs /var/log/messages

The /var/adm/messages in Solaris seem to log more system messages/errors compared to /var/log/messages in Linux. I checked the log level in Linux and they seem OK. Is there any other log file that contains the messages or is it just that Linux doesn't log great many things? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

/var/log/wtmp SuSE log permission rollback

Hello All, On my SuSE system, I have wtmp log this log file permission is 644 but every reboot the file permission rollback to 664. In the logrotate.conf and logrotate.d/wtmp files the wtmp logrotate set to 644. I would like to know, which "file" or "script" modify the wtmp log to rollback to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalaso
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Script to monitor /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log file

AM in need of some plugin/script that can monitor HP-UX file "/var/opt/resmon/log/event.log" . Have written a scrip in sh shell that is working fine for syslog.log and mail.log as having standard format, have interrogated that to Nagios and is working as I required . But same script failed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog

I have been searching and reading about syslog. I would like to know how to Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog. tail -f /var/log/messages dblogger: msg_to_dbrow: no logtype using missing dblogger: msg_to_dbrow_str: val ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
lsmsad(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 lsmsad(8)

NAME
lsmsad - Starts the Storage Administrator (SA) daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/lsmsad DESCRIPTION
The SA daemon, lsmsad, is a process required by lsmsa, the SA graphical user interface (GUI). The daemon issues commands and obtains system information on behalf of SA. The SA daemon runs on a Tru64 UNIX system on which LSM is initialized and running. The SA client runs on any machine that supports the Java Runtime Environment. The SA daemon is automatically started at boot time. Under normal conditions, the daemon does not need to be run manually. If SA does not start during the boot process, enter: /sbin/init.d/lsmsa stop To restart SA, enter: /sbin/init.d/lsmsa start Only one SA daemon can be running on a system at a given time. If a second SA daemon attempts to start, it will fail. RESTRICTIONS
You must be root user to run lsmsad. FILES
The script that starts lsmsad at boot time. The command log file that tracks SA tasks. The access log file that tracks login to SA. The server log file that tracks server startup information and server errors. The log maintenance shell script that saves and compresses log files. SEE ALSO
lsmsa(8), volintro(8) lsmsad(8)