Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Deleting a file I don't own
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleting a file I don't own Post 40618 by kumachan on Friday 19th of September 2003 10:03:56 AM
Old 09-19-2003
When I run ls -la I get:

drwxr-xr-x seiko group .
drwxr-xr-x seiko group ..
drwx------ 22866 difgroup not_my_dir

I want to remove the directory not_my_dir (and contained files, which I can't even see). While I may have ownership of the containing directory, I have no permissions for the directory I want to kill, therefore I can't just use "rm - rf not_my_dir".

Any other suggestions?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a file if I don't know its exact original name?

Hi everyone, I will be downloading a file every day with the name in this format SCA20060303_17514_IN.TXT And I need to rename it to SCA20060303_IN.TXT Where "20060303" is the current date, and the "_17514" part will always be a 5-digit number that I will NOT know beforehand. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: propel
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compress/decompress don't take you back to the same file

Hi there, I have a file system.tgz. I want to make changes inside this archive but before that, I want to be sure I recompress it in the exact same format. So I did the following: me:~# # Duplicate the archive --------------------------------- me:~# cp system.tgz system.01.tgz me:~# ls -l... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the last file when you don't know the all name

I have to ftp a file from a directory in Windows, I need to be able to ftp the last file that was put in the directory, the only thing I know about that file is that the 4 first digits are always the same (3520) then it is a _5(more digits), random digits, so it will be something like this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rechever
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files that don't contain particular text strings / more than one instance of a string

Hi all, I have a directory containing many subdirectories each named like KOG#### where # represents any digit 0-9. There are several files in each KOG#### folder but the one I care about is named like KOG####_final.fasta. I am trying to write a script to copy all of the KOG####_final.fasta... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy specific files when you don't know the file name?

I hope this isn't as silly as it sounds from the title of the thread. I have software that outputs files where the name starts with a real number followed by underscore as a prefix to an input file name. These will list in the directory with the file with the smallest real number prefix as the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Don't find file from foxbase 2.1.2d

Hi there, finally i'm installed Sco Foxbase 2.1.2d over my Sco Open Server 5.0.7v server. Well at this point almost is working fine, but, when i Run mi application i receive the next error: "sh: the_name_of_file": does not exist". I checked it over the Hard Disk and the file exist, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danilosevilla
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Don't display file name

Hi I have a directory where i have 10 -12 files, i want to store word count in seperate file without any file name. i have written the logic which needs to be corrected filename.txt for i in /backup/temp/rajesh/12Apr2012_South *.LOG do #echo "File size of $i is" wc -l $i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why I don't see the time in some file/directory?

Hi all, When doing an ls -l, why is it that I have the date and time on some of the files and directory, while others don't? :wall: Is there a way to show the date and time using a different command? OS is Linux and Solaris. Any response much appreciated. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

In the script I get additional file, which I don't expect do get

I have the following script #!/bin/sh Usage () { echo "Usage: $0 <config_file>" echo "Example: ./sftp_ondemand_daily.sh /export/data/mbsesb/config/ond emand.cfg /export/data/mbsesb/config/filename.lst" exit 1 } if then Usage fi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
6 Replies
ST_SNAPSHOT(1)							      systraq							    ST_SNAPSHOT(1)

NAME
st_snapshot - calculate checksum and stat ownership and permissions of files SYNOPSIS
ST_SUM=sha256sum st_snapshot patterns homepatterns DESCRIPTION
st_snapshot calculates checksums and stats ownership and permissions of critical system files. This script is typically run in either root-mode or public-mode. Running this script in root-mode requires root priviliges. One is adviced to set up a dedicated user account for running this script in public mode. In root-mode, the files snapshot_root.list and snapshot_root.homelist are typically passed as arguments. These pattern files are read by the script and contain names of files and directories; listing a directory in such a pattern file is equivalent to listing all files which live in the directorytree with this directory as root. snapshot_root.list could e.g. read # snapshot_root.list - files and directories we wanna get # monitored: we wanna get a note once these files, or any file # under these directories, gets created, gets rm-ed, gets # permissions or contents changed. these notices will not # include the possibly secret contents of these files # # this file gets read by st_systraq /etc/group /etc/gshadow /etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny /etc/hosts.equiv /etc/lilo.conf /etc/passwd /etc/postfix/server.pem /etc/shadow /etc/skel /etc/ssh Equivalent files snapshot_pub.list and snapshot_pub.homelist should be on the system. These files should contain all worldreadable to be monitored files. This allows for running this script as root only in those cases where it's needed: when reading files, readable for root only. The homelist files contain files and directories which should get monitored for every homedirectory on the system. snapshot_pub.homelist could e.g. contain: .profile .cshrc .tcshrc .login .logout .bash_profile .bashrc .exrc .nexrc As a special case, when the environment variable ST_OPHOMES is set to a non-empty string (typically when running in public mode), we stat the permissions on all homedirectories themselves. The produced snapshot is printed to stdout. The output when running in public mode could look like: # ownership and permissions of homedirs drwxr-xr-x root root /bin drwxr-xr-x root root /dev drwxr-sr-x root staff /home drwxr-sr-x joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb drwxr-xr-x root root /usr/sbin drwxr-xr-x root root /var # sha256sum of critical pub files 4d3cd13d6dbc10e2e3ccb9477cbc9eb9b76302454c276d5771ae0b10a5fbb4d2 /home/joostvb/.ssh/id_rsa.pub eb8d83e0246f761a21bdfb13a03fac634ed7c3b7dde4c2efddd7b2838d32596f /var/qmail/alias/.bashrc 4e371f9a11f5a2464d3d5c952e58e24f73b377d33767ed93b2082fcb59a647fe /etc/zlogin # ownership and permissions of critical pub files -rw-rw-r-- joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb/.ssh/id_rsa.pub -rw-r--r-- joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb/.ssh/authorized_keys ENVIRONMENT
ST_OPHOMES - non-empty in case permissions on all homedirectories should be printed ST_SUM - command for calculating file checksums. E.g. sha256sum, sha512sum, sha384sum, sha224sum or sha1sum. SEE ALSO
The systraq manual. VERSION
This manpage: $Id: st_snapshot.pod 374 2008-12-14 08:47:32Z joostvb $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008 Joost van Baal This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html or write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA. AUTHOR
Joost van Baal <joostvb-systraq-20041015@mdcc.cx> 20081217 2008-12-15 ST_SNAPSHOT(1)