Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using the sed command with variable subsitution??? Post 40588 by anthreedhr on Thursday 18th of September 2003 12:01:35 PM
Old 09-18-2003
Lightbulb

found it...

I was using the single quote (') instead of the double quote (")....

diff $e1file $e2file | sed -e "s/^</$e1nm /1" -e "s/^>/$e2nm /1" > $dfnm

Thanks!
Harold

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a sed command that uses variable

Hi , Seen some of wonderful posts. Please have look at my problem. I have a text file ketkee.txt , which look like below. GATES := apple mango banana XMLCHECK := red blue green pink My requiement is to find the line that has XMLCHECK in it. and append two variables followed by a space... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkeep
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed subsitution on loop output in shell script

I have a forloop which checks a log for a set of 6 static IP addresses and each IP found is logged to a file which is then mailed to me. After the forloop I always have a text file that may contain up to 6 IP addresses or may contain 0. What I want to do is substitute the IP addresses (if any)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to sed command

Hi guys, I wanted to pass a variable to the sed command which tells which line to be deleted. a=2; echo $a; sed '$ad' c.out it is throwing an error. sed: 0602-403 "$a"d is not a recognized function. I even tried "$a" and \$a.. but it is of no use. Can you please correct me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to take variable

I have file File1.txt in which i have to replace a text using sed command File1.txt contents EURAMOUNTTOBEREPLACED I have a AIX shell script for replacing the text AMOUNTTOBEREPLACED Contents of the shell script sum=27 sed 's/AMOUNTTOBEREPLACED/"$sum"/g' File1.txt >> temp mv temp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bk_12345
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command with variable

Hi, I want to insert some text in the begning of each line. But issue is the text that i want to insert is stored into one variable. so my command look like constr="`date | awk '{print $3"-"$2"-"$6}'`",MXGBTST1" " sed 's/^/\$constr/g' alert_temp.csv but sed command instead of taking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranvijaidba
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable in sed command

Hi All, Can I use a variable (using this variable as a counter) in sed cmd? something like below sed -n '${COUNT}p' But it's not working. Pls help. Thanks. Regards, Amee export COUNT=1 export COUNTER=`cat ${BINPATH}/$ALLOC_FILE.clean_1 | wc -l | tr -d " "` while ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amee5
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable in sed command

Hi All, How can i use a variable in a sed command ? I cant seem to get it to work as at present its just printing $i at the start of every line rather than the variable $1. sed -e "s/^/\$i,|/" Any help would be appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable in sed command

Hi All, Please help me with the below problem if then $a=" " fi echo "ABC1abc" | sed 's/a/'$a'/' The required output is : ABC abc But I am getting the below error: sed: -e expression #1, char 4: unterminated `s' command Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulsk
6 Replies
bdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  bdiff(1)

NAME
bdiff - Finds differences in large files SYNOPSIS
bdiff file1 file2 [number] [-s] bdiff - file2 [number] [-s] bdiff file1 - [number] [-s] The bdiff command compares file1 and file2 and writes information about their differing lines to standard output. If either filename is - (dash), bdiff reads standard input. OPTIONS
Suppresses error messages. (May either precede or follow the number argument if it is specified.) DESCRIPTION
The bdiff command uses diff to find lines that must be changed in two files to make them identical (see the diff command). Its primary purpose is to permit processing of files that are too large for diff. The bdiff command ignores lines common to the beginning of both files, splits the remainders into sections of number lines, and runs diff on the sections. The output is then processed to make it look as if diff had processed the files whole. If you do not specify number, a system default is used. In some cases, the number you specify or the default number may be too large for diff. If bdiff fails, specify a smaller value for number and try again. Note that because of file segmenting, bdiff does not necessarily find the smallest possible set of file differences. In general, although the output is similar, using bdiff is not the equivalent of using diff. NOTES
The diff command is executed by a child process, generated by forking, and communicates with bdiff through pipes. It should not normally be necessary to use this command, since diff can handle most large files. EXIT STATUS
No differences. Differences found. An error occurred. SEE ALSO
Commands: diff(1), diff3(1) bdiff(1)