Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: scripting a ftp process
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting scripting a ftp process Post 40538 by gbernard on Wednesday 17th of September 2003 02:04:17 PM
Old 09-17-2003
scripting a ftp process

I am trying to automate a process in one of two ways:

1) ftp .txt files from a unix server to a Windows 2000 server. I want to do this in a script. Can I supply the login and password to the Windows server inside the script?

2) I tried this and failed: sftp .txt files from the unix server to a Windows 2000 server. The Authentication key will not allow me to sftp no password.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Greg

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Automate FTP / Scripting FTP Transfers

One of our most frequent questions is how to automate ftp transfers. There are several approaches. Since I'm writing this post, we will start with my favorite technique. :) In Automated FTP task I present a simple example of my ksh co-process technique. And note that later in this thread I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in scripting ftp

Good Morning, I just would like to know what is wrong with my script. I am trying to use a for loop on my ftp command but the part that pipes the ftp information is reported in unix as error. Here's my script : #!/bin/ksh # other parts of the script here.... # get all ORD* files... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: negixx
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP scripting

Hello, I'm sure this is an easy one for you UNIX pros. I would like to create and and automated an FTP process. The script should do this: 1. Log into a remote system 2. change to a specified directory 3. copy local files to the remote system 4. quit ftp 5. wait until the next schedule ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP-Shell scripting

Hi Everybody, I have come across a problem while doing FTP using shell scripting. So I request any of you can give some idea of how to go about solving the problem but i request you not to give the solution please. Because i'm a java developer newly into Unix shell progrmming and am very enthu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP scripting Help

Hi, I'm trying to do an FTP script that will read from a list of files and send only the files in that list. Would this work? Does anyone have anything simpler. ftp -nv <<EOF open server user username password get $(nawk -F_ -f bbb.awk Filelisting.txt) EOF (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need FTP scripting

Hi, Please can you tell me the script to transfer file from server A to Server B (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: e1994264
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting with FTP Process

Hi Guys, Good day ULF! I have a general "auto-ftp" code which looks something like this: #!/bin/sh cd $1 ftp -v -n $2 << EOF user $3 $4 prompt cd $5 bin mput $6 quit EOF This works pretty well, but I'm thinking of how can I make a code by maybe including on this code, for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP scripting issue

I dont have enough bits to post in emergency, but I have an urgent FTP issue. A client of ours wants us to pull files from his server onto our server at which point we can process it. I ask a friend what to do, but I was just give the things to do, not how to do it. I havent written a Unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MJCreations
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting errors for ftp process

Hi i am facing problem in shell scripting for ftp process getting following errors here is the script & result vi GtpTxnlogs_ftp.sh "GtpTxnlogs_ftp.sh" 40 lines, 921 characters #!/usr/bin/bash ###################################################################################### #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarmistha
4 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)