Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Validating $1 and $2 before using Post 40465 by butterfm on Tuesday 16th of September 2003 05:08:18 AM
Old 09-16-2003
I may be wrong but I don't think

if [ $1 = 44* ]; then

Will work with wildcards

You may need to use the ksh version

[[ $1 = 44* ]] && ....

Matt.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating dates

This is what I have to check date entries in an interactive script with the end users... I use this to build control cards for a reporting utility supplied by a software vendor. I also want to check to make sure its a valid day based on the month (ie 30days has sept, april, june and Nov..)... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
2 Replies

2. Programming

validating input

how do i validate y script so that it only accepts values between 1 and 3 and against any character input, cause at the moment i can only validate against numbers outside 1 and 3 but not characters cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruffenator
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

validating userid

What's wrong with this syntax? It's part of my 'if' statement but it doesn't seem to pass and it keeps going to the 'else' part. I thought it says that userid must start with a non-numeric character and is between 6 and 10 characters long (alphanumeric). $userid|grep -Eq '^?\{6,10\}+$' if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating 10. IP address any way possible

HELP: validating IP addresses any way possible -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am trying to validate input from the user in a script. I thought is was easy to do using regular expressions but I can't figure out how to use REs in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nrodolfich
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating data

I have a file like the following aaaaa00005bbbbb aaaaa00108bbbbb The code "00005" and "00108" need to be validated and the list of valid codes are stored in a database. While I loop through the file, should call a sql statement for every records to do the validation? or is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joanneho
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating IP address.

Hi All, This is a small snippet that I am using to validate the format of IP address.This is working fine. Since this is not elegant, please let me know if anyone has a better working code than the one below. Also I am planning to ping the ip address given by the user and check the $?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating commandline argument

Hi, I am calling a script script2.shl from script1.shl as below script2.shl "TABLE_NAME" -r 10 In that I have to validate the parameter 4. i.e : it should be only 10 20 30 40 50 I know that I can do it by checking like below if ]; then echo "TRUE" else echo "FALSE" fi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validating a file

Pardon my ignorance but I am lost on how to do this I have a file called "Sample.txt", it is pipe delimited, it should have 13 fields. But some of the records do not, I would like to set up a shell script where I can pass in a parameter "Sample.txt" and it would split the file into records... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgeehot
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for validating

HI, I am trying to write a validation script as below awk '($1=="ABC"&&$2="XYZ" ,then check the value in $8,$10 these columns should not be null. so their should be some corresponding value n the $8 and $10 column,if their is no value the script has to give error saying that at a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating the file

Hello All, I have the following file. The first column is Type. Always the file will have one H and one T type in between all D type reocrds. Need todo some validations. H|ABCD D|TAB N0003107809CD2013-11-14|RYAN|FRY|7 DR|RICHMOND HILL|GA|32431|X|C95|000009999|000000001|TAB||C0001 D|TAB... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)