Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: generating timer
Top Forums Programming generating timer Post 40434 by mbb on Monday 15th of September 2003 12:56:52 PM
Old 09-15-2003
Further to what Perderabo said, I use a form of printf to debug my programs.

Rather than displaying messages to screen, I would write those same messages to a log file.

This could obviously mean a very large file, which will mean a performance degredation, so the logging (or tracing) is conditional on a configuration setting being activiated e.g. an environment variable or in an configuration (or ini) file or a flag on a database table.

A trace level could also be defined e.g. 9 for most detailed to 1 for the least detail.

Although creating a mechanism to log to a file will require more programming effort, it will be invaluable to you if you have developed your program and delivered it to a 'live' system where your development tools won't be available. You may not be able to predict when your fault is going to happen either, especially with background or daemon processes.

After you have put in the effort to create your new logging functions, you may want to encapsulate them into a library for use in future projects. To this end I believe many Unix systems will provide standard functions to allow you to write messages to the system log if you prefer.

Whether you are logging to a file or the screen or even using a debugger I would recommend you track the following features of your program:

1. When a function is called
2. When a function exits.
3. The input values, or paramters to functions
4. The return values, or parameters of functions
5. When a variable is first assigned.
6 When a variable changes

(Be sure to display all strings within quotes so you can see any whitespace in the string)

This should allow you to tackle most faults in your program.

MBB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

reply timer

Neo, can u please shorten the reply timer to like 1 min or so. It is prolly just me but i end up passing on replying to posts due to i hate waiting for my timer to reset w/ a 2.5 mins wait. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

2. AIX

how to implement timer

anyone can help me how to implement the timer on AIX? I tried with 'setitimer' and its related functions, but it does not work correctly,the program exited each time. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing a timer

Hi!, My shell script takes a quite a long time to execute.. Nothing appears on the screen during this period.. User are left guessing... whats going on???????????? Any ideas on how to create a small timer script which print a word on screen say " wait.. Program running" after every 10 seconds... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

timer

Hi all, Wanted to a create a shell script ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 1) which when called will start a timer and wait for 48 hours. after 48 hours it will call some function(say XYZ) 2) Whenever this shell script is called (can be called... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_oops9
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

VNC Timer

Hello fellows, I am new in this forum, i would appreciate your assistance. I need a timming system for my vnc desktops (Cybercafe timer stuff). Each unix user login to my server only with vnc, and i want to write a program that can generate timer tickets and have control on the time used for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: foweja
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timer for VNC

Hello fellows, I am new in this forum, i would appreciate your assistance. I need a timming system for my vnc desktops (Cybercafe timer stuff). Each unix user login to my server only with vnc, and i want to write a program that can generate timer tickets and have control on the time used for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foweja
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

timer interrupt

hello all since a process running in kernel mode cannnot be preempted by any other process what would be the status of Timer interrupt that occurs when the time quantum of a process is elapsed? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timer

Is there a way to make a timer? E.g Please give the seconds... ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aekaramg20
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timer

is there a timer function in unix without using C? for example i want to display a message after 5 seconds how do i do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timer as output

How do you set timer as output to the command line so that you get an output like Has been waiting for 5 seconds Has been waiting for 6 seconds ... Where only the number changes. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies
eurephia-auth(7)														  eurephia-auth(7)

NAME
eurephia-auth - The eurephia OpenVPN authentication plug-in DESCRIPTION
The eurephia-auth.so is a plug-in for OpenVPN. It is loaded by providing the --plugin option in the OpenVPN configuration. The syntax for OpenVPN and eurephia-auth is: plugin eurephia-auth.so "<plugin args> -- <DB args>" Please notice the quotes and the double dash. They are important markers so that the eurephia-auth module receives all arguments (the quotes) and that it knows when to pass on the rest of the arguments to the defined database driver, separated by the double dash. This manual page will only look at the <plugin args> options. For the <DB args> options, refer to the corresponding database driver you are using. OPTIONS
--log-destination | -l This defines how eurephia will do its logging. It can take a filename to log to a file. If the string is openvpn: it will pass the log data over to OpenVPN, which will combine the OpenVPN and eurephia logs. You can also log via syslog, by indicating syslog:. The last possible special value is none: which will disable logging completely. With syslog: you can also define which syslog facility the logging will go to. The default is to log to the user facility. Other supported facilities are authpriv, daemon and local0 to local7. To send log data to the daemon the --log-destination argument need to be --log-destination syslog:daemon --log-level | -L This defines how verbose the eurephia logging will be. The required argument to this option must be a numeric value, where 0 indi- cates as little logging as possible - only giving informative messages, or a high value like 50 to give really verbose logging. In general a log level less than 4 should be more than enough under normal circumstances. NOTICE: The highest log level is 10, unless the eurephia-auth modules have been compiled with debug features. --database-interface | -i This argument must have a full path to the eurephia database driver module. This defines which database interface eurephia will use. OPENVPN CLIENTS
The only change the OpenVPN clients needs to do is to add auth-user-pass to their configuration file. This instructs the OpenVPN client to ask for user name and password when starting the connection. SEE ALSO
eurephia-sqlite(8), eurephia_init(8) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2008-2010 David Sommerseth <dazo@users.sourceforge.net> David Sommerseth July 2010 eurephia-auth(7)