Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rcp without password prompt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rcp without password prompt Post 40406 by scottl on Monday 15th of September 2003 07:10:57 AM
Old 09-15-2003
rcp without password prompt

Hi,

i have a request about rcp.
is it possible to to make a rcp sessions for a normal user witch should have this option without a password prompt.

what are the important steps ....

add the host and user i the .rhosts
and
and

many thx

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Unable to get password prompt

Hi I am using a Solaris 2.5.1 and i am unable to logon on the console. When i key in say, root on the login prompt, it does not prompt me for password but instead return to the login prompt again. Please help. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: owls
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

any way to use SU command without prompt for password

Hi, First i want to tell you i am not a administrator and everytime to run a sqlscritpt i have to login as SU in a particular account to connect to sqlplus.. I want to write a script which can make me free by doin this .. since i am having the permission for SU i want to know if i can SUDO... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: myelvis
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Stopping password prompt

hi I have installed a new Linux machine and having another machine having Solaris on it. i want that when i log into my solaris machine using rlogin from Linux machine then no password prompt occurs... Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync without password prompt

Hi, I am tranfering the files from local machine to remote machine using rsync utility but it is prompting password. but i don't want to provide through prompt. how can i give in my shell script. can anyone suggest me.Thanks in advance rsync -rvcpogtl -e "ssh $LOCAL_PORT" $SOURCE_DIR... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

get around rsync password prompt

Hey there, I'm trying to do a very simple rsync to back up my computer to an external drive connected via usb every night, but it keeps asking for a password. I tried using the password file flag, but it looks like that is only a daemon. Does anyone have any ideas? This has eaten up a lot of my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarond
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing the password prompt

Is there any way I can change the prompt which asks for the password on a UNIX system? e.g. When I login using Telnet instead of "Password" I should get "Correct Password". Thanks, Vineet (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
3 Replies

7. Solaris

How to prompt for the new password during the first login

Hi All, I have created a new user. Using the below command I have created the user successfully. useradd -c "Test user" -d /tmp/test -g Testgroup -s /bin/ksh -u 601 Test I don't want to set the password using “passwd” command after creating a user. I want to prompt for the new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo -s without password prompt

hi, i have a requirement where i need to sudo to another user in the shell script.suppose consider user A and B, first user A calls a shell script and then i need to sudo to user B which executes another shell script inside the earlier one. also this needs to be automated like while sudo'ing to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krk
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sudo Password Prompt over SSH

I am not sure what I am missing here. I have the following identical entry in /etc/sudoers on multiple Red Hat 6.4 servers. icinga ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/yum --security --exclude\="kernel*" check-update On one server when I enter the command over SSH as follows it works fine. ssh -t -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
1 Replies
rcp(1c) 																   rcp(1c)

Name
       rcp - remote file copy

Syntax
       rcp [ -p ] file1 file2
       rcp [-r] [-p] file... directory

Description
       The command copies files between machines.  Each file or directory argument is either a remote file name of the form rhost:path, or a local
       file name.  Local file names do not contain colons (:) or backslashes () before colons.

Note that the command refuses to copy a file onto itself.

If path is not a full path name, it is interpreted relative to your login directory on rhost.  To ensure that the metacharacters are inter-
       preted  remotely,  a  remote  host's  path  can be quoted by either using a backslash () before a single character, or enclosing character
       strings in double (") or single (') quotes.

The command does not prompt for passwords; your current local user name must exist on rhost and allow remote command execution via

The command handles third party copies, where neither source nor target files are on the current machine.  Hostnames may also take the form
       rname@rhost  to	use rname rather than the current user name on the remote host.  The following example shows how to copy the file foo from
       user1@mach1 to user2@mach2:
	$ rcp user1@mach1:foo  user2@mach2:foo
       Note that the file .rhosts on mach2 in user2's account must include an entry for mach1 user1.  Also note that it may be necessary  for  the
       person implementing the command to be listed in the .rhosts file for mach1 user1.

By  default,  the mode and owner of file2 are preserved if file2 already exists.  Otherwise, the mode of the source file modified by on the
       destination host is used.

Options
       -p   Preserves the modification times and modes of the source files in its copies, ignoring the

-r   Copies files in all subdirectories recursively, if the file to be copied is a directory.  In this  case  the  destination  must  be  a
	    directory.

Restrictions
       The  command  is  confused by output generated by commands in a .cshrc file on the remote host.	In particular, `where are you?' and `stty:
       Can't assign requested address' are messages which can result if output is generated by the startup file.

See Also
       ftp(1c), rlogin(1c), rsh(1c)

rcp(1c)