Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Books
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions New to Unix. Which books should I read? Unix Books Post 404 by PxT on Friday 1st of December 2000 10:10:36 AM
Old 12-01-2000
Another good one is The Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll. It details the true story of a sysadmin that discovers a $0.75 accounting error which leads him into a chase for an international spy ring. A must read for any sys-admin.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Books for Unix Scripting

Hi, I'm in a second year unix course at school, and we are really starting to get into the scripting aspect of it. I already own the "Unix in a Nutshell - O'Reilly", and the "Unix - Peachpit Press" books but these book really don't go into too much detail about scripting. So I was wondering if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Books

I'm just looking for really good unix book on programming in all shells, and system adminstrator books, and well as just all around really good books on unix. I know the "Unix Shell Programming" book that Neo recommends I recently purchased that it is very good. But when I heard that Neo has... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix admnistration books

where can i find unix admnistration books to be downloaded i an using SCO openserver 5.0.4 also where can i download freely unix programmimg tutorials (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsrawat
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Books on Unix

Hai All Iam looking for books in unix on shell scripting which has more stuff on how to run Oracle procedures or functions and the best methods to follow passing unix variables as parameters to Oracle. Thanks in advance Krishna (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnasai
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Good books for UNIX

Hello, I have just started working on UNIX and from the role i am playing, i am getting the hint that i will have to go to the extreme level. Can anybody suggest me some good UNIX books which start from the basics and goes to the top level including architecture and all. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Books on Unix

hi forum, i would like to learn Unix by myself and want to have some good knowlege ..is that possible ?which book can i follow?can anyone send me some book links ... Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vyra
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Books

Am new to this unix concept..i want to learn unix ..could anyone give link or free e-book to study and understand Unix fundamentals.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vyra
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix books from O'Relly

If there is anybody who doesn't know this old but useful books, I recommend it: url deleted (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Books for Beginner

Hi, I am a beginner and I want to learn Unix, so I want to buy a good unix books. Here's a few books that I think can be useful, but I nned you suggestion and comments. 1. Beginning UNIX by Wrox 2. Mastering Unix by Katherine Wrightson, Joseph Merlino, .. 3. Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wizzkid
1 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

UNIX reference books

Hi , Can any one send me the best unix book to start. Actually i know the very basic but i need to learn in depth. Please send me the pdf or link.It would be very helpful if you send ASAP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
2 Replies
acct(2) 							System Calls Manual							   acct(2)

Name
       acct - turn accounting on or off

Syntax
       acct(file)
       char *file;

Description
       The system is prepared to write a record in an accounting file for each process as it terminates.  This call, with a null-terminated string
       naming an existing file as argument, turns on accounting; records for each terminating process are appended to  file.   An  argument  of  0
       causes accounting to be turned off.

The accounting file format is given in

This  call  is  permitted  only to the superuser.  Accounting is automatically disabled when the file system the accounting file resides on
       runs out of space.  It is enabled when space once again becomes available.

Return Values
       On error, -1 is returned.  The file must exist and the call may be exercised only by the superuser.  It is erroneous  to  try  to  turn	on
       accounting when it is already on.  If successful, 0 is returned.

Diagnostics
       The system call will fail if one of the following is true:

[EPERM]	      The caller is not the superuser.

[ENOTDIR]      A component of the path prefix is not a directory.

[ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded 255 characters, or an entire pathname exceeded 1023 characters.

[ENOENT]       The named file does not exist.

[EACCES]       The path name is not a regular file.

[EROFS]	      The named file resides on a read-only file system.

[EFAULT]       The file points outside the process's allocated address space.

[ELOOP]	      Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname.

[EIO]	      An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system.

Restrictions
       No accounting is produced for programs running when a crash occurs.  In particular, nonterminating programs are never accounted for.

See Also
       acct(5), sa(8)

acct(2)