Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Discussion of homework rule
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Discussion of homework rule Post 40355 by kowrip on Saturday 13th of September 2003 03:20:35 AM
Old 09-13-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Perderabo
These posts were originally in this thread.

kowrip, Neo makes the rules. I don't agree with all of his rules either. But this one is on the money.

I have taught quite a few programming classes and I tell you that it crucial that I keep myself apprised of exactly what each student is capable of. I never give a student an assignment unless I am sure that the student can handle it. If I'm wrong, I need to know that. If I'm mislead, I will move ahead, leaving the student further behind.

What's more, the ability to locate bugs is one of the most valuable skills that a programmer can possess. If we point out bugs in a student's code, the student will never develop that skill. There are quite a few programmers who never make it there. These forums are full of them. Debugging skills are a separate fish that the student must learn to catch. You are ensuring that debugging is a fish that the student will never know how to catch. That is the harm that you find to be so very invisible.
In my academic experience, professors taught the concepts and very rarely got into the guts of the code. Learning the actual syntax and pitfalls of the specific programming code was the students' duty. Being that I didn't have much guidance in this area, I found it very helpful for somebody to point out an obvious problem in my code. As long as I understood what the mistake was, it was very beneficial to me.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

vb 3.0 Upgrade Discussion

Please discuss vB 3.0 upgrade or ask questions here. Neo (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
27 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Discussion culture

I want to start a small thread about discussion culture. From the past experience in different fora, I have little hope that any will come out of it. But I'll try it anyway, hoping to contributing to an improvement on the topic. I do not want to discuss a specific technical question, but only... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
5 Replies
Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Under(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Under(3pm)

NAME
Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Under - rules under a predicate SYNOPSIS
my $ticket = Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Tokens->new( tokens => [ 'ticket' ], prefix => 1, ); my $create = Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Tokens->new( tokens => [ 'create' ], block => sub { create_ticket() }, ); my $delete = Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Tokens->new( tokens => [ 'delete', qr/^d+$/ ], block => sub { delete_ticket(shift->pos(2)) }, ); my $rule = Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Under->new( predicate => $ticket, rules => [ $create, $delete ], ); $rule->match("ticket create"); $rule->match("ticket delete 3"); DESCRIPTION
Rules of this class have two-phase matching: if the predicate is matched, then the contained rules are matched. The benefit of this is less repetition of the predicate, both in terms of code and in matching it. ATTRIBUTES
predicate A rule (which must match prefixes) whose match determines whether the contained rules are considered. The leftover path of the predicate is used as the path for the contained rules. rules A list of rules that will be try to be matched only if the predicate is matched. perl v5.12.4 2011-08-30 Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Under(3pm)