Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using cat command in a for loop Post 40318 by oombera on Friday 12th of September 2003 01:19:29 PM
Old 09-12-2003
Code:
while read I
do
 echo "$I"
done < data-file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

the CAT command

hi everybody, how do i open a txt file writen in unix on to a web page so when i want to view the txt file that was generated from a shell program, that file is open on a web page do i use the cat > filename.html command to do this, or is there another way many thanks :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexd
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat and loop

Hi I have a simple code that I want to execute. out=out.txt for f in `cat list.txt | head -1`; do echo $f >> $out echo "sleep 5" >> $out done cat list.txt | head -1 wget -q -O - 'http://test.com:15100/cgi-bin/search cat out.txt wget sleep 5 -q sleep 5 -O (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: soemac
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple for loop/cat issue

ok.. so problem is: I have a file that reads: cat 123 1 and 2 3 and 4 5 and 6 I was using for loops to run through this information. Code: for i in `cat 123` do echo $i done shouldn't the output come as 1 and 2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: foal_11
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need some help on using cat command

I have a file "sample.txt" with the content as below: Hi This is a Sample Text. I need a single command using cat which serve the following purpose. 1.display the contents of sample.txt 2.append some text to it 3. and then exit But, all should be served by a sinle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through hosts file - cat /etc/resolv.conf

Hello... I am trying to loop through my hosts file that contains 100+ servers to check or update the nameservers on them... My while loop is breaking after the first server responds... #!/bin/bash while read line; do a=( $(echo $line | tr " " "\n") ) if }" != "" ] && }" != "#" ] &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CompSCI
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop with whole line using cat

Hi all, I need to create loop script to read full line and append a variable to each line. cat file I need the output like below 10.0.0.1,136 1 24 048800 id N4 No_Light 10.0.0.1,137 1 25 048900 id N4 No_Light 10.0.0.1,140 1 28 048c00 id N4 No_Light 10.0.0.1,262 1 38 048e80... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while displaying(cat) file content inside telnet loop .

Hi Team, Not getting the file output inside my email which i am sending from unix box. . Please refer the below code : #!/bin/sh { sleep 5 echo ehlo 10.56.185.13 sleep 3 echo mail from: oraairtel@CNDBMUREAPZP02.localdomain sleep 3 echo rcpt to: saurabhtripathi@anniksystems.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tripathi1990
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with cat command on a for loop

Good day to all, I'd like to ask for your advice with regards to this. Scenario : I have here a file named TEST.tmp wherein the value inside is below; "ONE|TWO|FIVE|THREE|FOUR|SIX~SEVEN~EIGHT" "NINE" But when I'm trying to use this in a simple command like; for TESTING in $(cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfghjkl
4 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory SYNOPSIS
fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the -path argument. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume. Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. EXAMPLES
The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and "fs3.abc.com": % fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHEREIS(1)