Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux questions
Operating Systems Linux Linux questions Post 40140 by cbkihong on Tuesday 9th of September 2003 11:10:42 PM
Old 09-10-2003
1. I think you have to set a different umask in the shell startup file, e.g. .bashrc

umask 0022

See bash(1) manpage

3. Edit the corresponding entry in /etc/fstab and change from noauto to auto

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat linux questions??

1. is redhat linux 7.3 the latest version ?? 2. where can i find FREE documentation regarding it ?? installation , etc... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a place like this for LINUX questions?

Is there some place like this unix.com for linux questions? a forum like area to ask questions? I love this site, i've learned a lot (use unix - solaris, and linux - redhat). Unfortunately redhat.com has gotten rid of their support forums, everything is in a list type format and I don't want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
6 Replies

3. Linux

some questions about linux system.

Hi,i am a newbie in linux,l have some questions when i study unix system.Could you help me?thx. Q1:an linux file system is broken,it can not be mounted after system boot up .how to recover it? Q2:When the UNIX system shore memory is not enough,how to change the system paramenters? Q3:How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saneryee
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General Linux Questions

Hello :-) I am new to the world of UNIX/LINUX and I have just purchased my first Web Server. I have "root" access to the system and I have a few basic questions, they are: 1. How do you view all user names that have access to the system? 2. How do you add/delete or modify users? Anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: randy.moretz
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Questions about Unix/Linux

Hello all. Im a young lad with very limited experience with computers, even though I have been playing with them the past 5 years. I have the experience of the random World of Warcraft player that plays games all day. I have a huge interest in learning everything about computers and I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vallzi
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Lots of questions about linux.

I am about 2 months new to Linux, and have only limited experience with PCLinuxOS, (kde) and Redhat. I am installing the latest version of PClinuxOS on my wife's PC right now but running into a problem I dont understand. I have never seen it before so i thought i'd ask how I can get around it.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Methal
1 Replies

7. Linux

Few Questions on about Linux Servers.

1.On x86 Machines ( Pentium4 ), What is the maximum number of Services( sshd, ntpd,named ,samba, etc.) that can be installed.? Is there a rule of thumb to attain the best possible performence.? 2. Is there a systematic way to boot a remote Machine.? 3. Are there any problems of having two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanata
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few questions on unix/linux

Hi , please give few answers for this questions:confused::confused: ...thanks in advance What shell do you use when you log in to a UNIX/Linux host? What command will show you the shell you're using? Describe 5 things you can do in Linux/UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hecker007
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux questions

Sorry for the dumb question......I got my B.S. in computer science Amazing how I don't these answers).....I wrote mostly in the language C in my college career. I wrote all my programs using a windows application for writing C.....and then after testing it, I would upload it to a UNIX system and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bruuuuce78
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Internals Interview Questions

Can anyone list the interview questions on Linux Internals? Any link for the same will also be helpful. In a job requirement of say C, linux internals what is expected about linux internals? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies
PAM_UMASK(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_UMASK(8)

NAME
pam_umask - PAM module to set the file mode creation mask SYNOPSIS
pam_umask.so [debug] [silent] [usergroups] [umask=mask] DESCRIPTION
pam_umask is a PAM module to set the file mode creation mask of the current environment. The umask affects the default permissions assigned to newly created files. The PAM module tries to get the umask value from the following places in the following order: o umask= argument o umask= entry in the user's GECOS field o UMASK= entry from /etc/default/login o UMASK entry from /etc/login.defs The GECOS field is split on comma ',' characters. The module also in addition to the umask= entry recognizes pri= entry, which sets the nice priority value for the session, and ulimit= entry, which sets the maximum size of files the processes in the session can create. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. silent Don't print informative messages. usergroups If the user is not root and the username is the same as primary group name, the umask group bits are set to be the same as owner bits (examples: 022 -> 002, 077 -> 007). umask=mask Sets the calling process's file mode creation mask (umask) to mask & 0777. The value is interpreted as Octal. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The new umask was set successfully. PAM_SERVICE_ERR No username was given. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to set the user specific umask at login: session optional pam_umask.so umask=0022 SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_umask was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@thkukuk.de>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_UMASK(8)