Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to add numbers?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add numbers? Post 40139 by pnxi on Tuesday 9th of September 2003 11:00:20 PM
Old 09-10-2003
Bug How to add numbers?

Smilie
I have plain text file "tmp" which include a range of numbers(bytes), say like:
Code:

How can I add them and display out.
should I use AWK, then how?
I am a newer in Bourne shell, please give me a hand, thanks a lot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add some numbers!

im using this command to return the number of links in my directory, grep -c -i -h "href" *html */*html *htm *shtml is there a way of adding these to get the total? Cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TalkShowHost
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do you to add numbers incrementally?

I've refined the filesystem size using awk and directed to a file name. eg, here's the content in a file called "numbers" $cat numbers 345 543 23423456 44435 546 . . how do you write a script to all these numbers to get the total? thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiem
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add line numbers

Hello.. I have got one file ... I want to add line numbers with space form starting to ending.. for example...if the file is -------------------------- sand sorcd 2345 345 recds 234 234 5687 yeres 568 988 erfg4 67 -------------------------- I need the output ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add a list of numbers

I need to add a list of numbers contained in a file. For example, the file would look like this: 10 290 342 5409 I need to get a total sum of all the numbers in the list. Any ideas? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add numbers

Hello. I new to Shell Scripting. I have a file and here is the output of the file. 1.1M 1.1M 3.3M 149K 61K 75K 144K 135K 82K 170K 327K 2.0M 219K 165K (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: email-lalit
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add numbers in a column

Hi All thanks a lot for your previous replies. I need some help here. I am writing a script to test a machine for a thereshold. It is genrating the list of number that have to be added but not displaying the added value. The script is like this #!/bin/sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asirohi
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i add two numbers

hi, i am having one file which looks like the one below: ABC1 *** 1 4 ABC2 *** 7 12 ABC3 *** 0 34 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add up numbers for each day

Hi guys, Is there an easy way I can add up the numbers in column $4 when the day of the week in column $1 is equal? So in the end I want an aggregate total for each day. e.g. 01,12,2009 00000000032000 01,12,2009,0000000000002094 02,12,2009,0000000000002128 03,12,2009,0000000000002117... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk to Add Numbers

echo "0.1 2.0 0.4 2.0 4.3 1.0 6.0 9.0" | awk 'BEGIN {total=0} {total += $1} END {print total}' I want to add the above output from the echo command, but i can't figure this out. The output above always spits out inaccurate numbers. can someone please provide me with a one liner similar to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add numbers in a file

Hello, How to add numbers that are read from a file /tmp/test The content of the file look like 1234 234 432 1235 123 I read the file content in a for loop f=/tmp/test for i in `cat $f` do . . done Santhosh (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvsanthosh
11 Replies
resize(1X)							     MIT X11R4								resize(1X)

Name
       resize - utility to set TERMCAP and terminal settings to current window size

Syntax
       resize [-u] [-s [row col]]

Description
       The  uitility  prints  a  shell command for setting the TERM and TERMCAP environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window
       from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command  line  (usually  done
       with  a	shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the
       following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc:

% alias rs 'set noglob; `eval resize`'

After resizing the window, the user would type:

% rs

Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that do not have command functions will need to send the output to a  tem-
       porary file and the read it back in with the ``.'' command:

$ resize >/tmp/out
	   $ . /tmp/out

Options
       The following options may be used with resize:

-u      This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell is not /bin/sh.

-c      This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell is not /bin/csh.

-s [rows columns]
	       This option indicates that the Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the special xterm escape code. If rows and col-
	       umns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change.

Restrictions
       The -u or -c must appear to the left of -s if both are specified.

There should be some global notion of display size; termcap and terminfo need to be rethought in the context of window systems.	(Fixed	in
       4.3BSD, and ULTRIX-32 1.2)

Files
       For the base termcap entry to modify.

User's alias for the command.

See Also
       csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1X)

resize(1X)