Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File types help needed
Operating Systems Linux File types help needed Post 40022 by brady9953 on Sunday 7th of September 2003 07:02:25 AM
Old 09-07-2003
Thanks for the response! WINDOWS! Huh!Smilie

Anyway, I think I will have to use a floppy as the Windows partition is NTFS and if I'm correct I think this means that Linux will not be able to access my Windows filestore...?

This shouldn't be a problem though, just as long as I now know that windows isn't 'modifying' the filetype. Smilie

Cheers

Brady

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What file types does unix support?

Hello, I've search this site many times and ave not been able to find my answer. So I'm going to post my question....(duh) Ok. I'm wanting to know what file types does unix support. if you can try and list them like this: php, .php or somthing like that. plus don't forget that I said I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgames
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

associated file types

I have a file of type .for extension .In a guui based unix environment like solaris if I double click on that file a specific program designed by me has to run which takes this file as the parameter and exceutes the program. Can anyone help me? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhk_srd
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a file that contains 2 types of delimeters

Now that I have a file that looks something like this; 20050926 Unknown 20050926 MUREXFO 20050926 MUREXFO 20050926 MUREXFO 20050926 Unknown 20050926 KADDUSS 20050926 KADDUSS 20050926 KADDUSS 20050926 MUREXFO Is there a way in vi that I can search the file and remove any line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: morgadoa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

flexible sed command needed to handle multiple input types

Hello, I need a smart sed command that can take any of the following two as an input and give below mentioned output. As you can see, I am trying to convert some C code INPUT: struct abc_sample1 { char myString; UINT16 myValue1; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SiftinDotCom
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search two file types within a for loop

I need to search for a csv and a dat file within a for loop then output them to a log table. I can do it individually but I want them together. See below code: check csv count=0 for file in $(ls *.csv) ; do count=`expr $count + 1` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Types of File in a directory

Hello, I have several thousand files with different extensions in a directory. Is there a single command to get what the various extensions are with a single command. Thanks for your help! Best, Guss (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Copy certain file types recursively while maintaining file structure on destination?

Hi guys, I have just been bothered by a fairly small issue for some time now. I am trying to search (using find -name) for some .jpg files recursively. This is a Redhat environment with bash. I get this job done though I need to copy ALL of them and put them in a separate folder BUT I also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does linux recognize file types?

Hey , I was wondering how does Linux recognize file types if he doesn't use extensions to determine the file type ? It's just a question not for a script or something else. thnx:o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eclecticaa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp -r except certain file types

the following excludes certain directories successfully cp -r probe/!(dir) /destination I want to exclude certain file types and tried unsuccessfully cp -r probe/!(*.avi) /destination (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List file types

Hello everyone - I have a task of listing files from a directory together with their type. I tried using ls -l | file -b or different versions of that but that did not work. I will need this to be in a C shell script that will list the file name, size and type from a directory. I can do... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrianvas12
12 Replies
NTFSFIX(8)						      System Manager's Manual							NTFSFIX(8)

NAME
ntfsfix - fix common errors and force Windows to check NTFS SYNOPSIS
ntfsfix [options] device DESCRIPTION
ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for the first boot into Windows. You may run ntfsfix on an NTFS volume if you think it was damaged by Windows or some other way and it cannot be mounted. OPTIONS
Below is a summary of all the options that ntfsfix accepts. Nearly all options have two equivalent names. The short name is preceded by - and the long name is preceded by --. Any single letter options, that don't take an argument, can be combined into a single command, e.g. -fv is equivalent to -f -v. Long named options can be abbreviated to any unique prefix of their name. -b, --clear-bad-sectors Clear the list of bad sectors. This is useful after cloning an old disk with bad sectors to a new disk. -d, --clear-dirty Clear the volume dirty flag if the volume can be fixed and mounted. If the option is not present or the volume cannot be fixed, the dirty volume flag is set to request a volume checking at next mount. -h, --help Show a list of options with a brief description of each one. -n, --do-nothing Do not write anything, just show what would have been done. -V, --version Show the version number, copyright and license BUGS
There are no known problems with ntfsfix. If you find a bug please send an email describing the problem to the development team: ntfs-3g-devel@lists.sf.net AUTHORS
ntfsfix was written by Anton Altaparmakov, with contributions from Szabolcs Szakacsits. It was ported to ntfs-3g by Erik Larsson and Jean- Pierre Andre. AVAILABILITY
ntfsfix is part of the ntfs-3g package and is available from: http://www.tuxera.com/community/ SEE ALSO
mkntfs(8), ntfsprogs(8) ntfs-3g 2012.1.15AR.5 January 2006 NTFSFIX(8)