Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting threads - concurrent processing Post 39994 by siva_jm on Saturday 6th of September 2003 04:05:47 PM
Old 09-06-2003
thank you, thats what i need to know.

writing and reading form files to communicate between each other right..

just one more thing, there are around 100 tables, so i am assuming creating that many processes won't affect any runtime etc.

thank you

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

No concurrent login

Hi, I notice in my Sun Solaris 8 sparc workstatin, I am able to login concurrently using a same user ID. Is there a way to disallow this? That is, at anyone time, the user can have only 1 login session. How can it be done? Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

concurrent processes

We have a very large text file..contains almost 100K lines. We want to process this file to generate another text file as per our data requirement. As for now the parsing of data takes 20-25 mins each , for 100K lines. the current script uses : While Read Each Line do parsing.. Done ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amruta Pitkar
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make parallel processing rather than serial processing ??

Hello everybody, I have a little problem with one of my program. I made a plugin for collectd (a stats collector for my servers) but I have a problem to make it run in parallel. My program gathers stats from logs, so it needs to run in background waiting for any new lines added in the log... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samb95
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concurrent execution

Hi all, I have a folder with sql files that need to be inserted in a DB with SQL*Plus. The thing is that it takes too long to insert them all one by one, so I want to insert them five at a time. Currently what I use is this: for $FILENAME in *.sql do sqlplus -s $DBUSER@$SID << EOF ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tr0cken
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concurrent Processing in Perl Scripting

We are trying to scp files from machine A to machine B. We want to copy the files in the rate using the file original timestamps. Sometimes files have the same time stamp. So we want to start scp for all files with the same time stamp at the same time. I like to get some opinion on using... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meixingzhao
0 Replies

6. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

7. AIX

Difference between concurrent and enhanced concurrent VG

Hi, What are the differences between concurrent and enhanced concurrent VGs.? Any advantages of enhanced concurrent VG over normal concurrent vg Regards, Siva (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
2 Replies
FIFO(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FIFO(7)

NAME
fifo - first-in first-out special file, named pipe DESCRIPTION
A FIFO special file (a named pipe) is similar to a pipe, except that it is accessed as part of the file system. It can be opened by multi- ple processes for reading or writing. When processes are exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all data internally without writ- ing it to the file system. Thus, the FIFO special file has no contents on the file system; the file system entry merely serves as a refer- ence point so that processes can access the pipe using a name in the file system. The kernel maintains exactly one pipe object for each FIFO special file that is opened by at least one process. The FIFO must be opened on both ends (reading and writing) before data can be passed. Normally, opening the FIFO blocks until the other end is opened also. A process can open a FIFO in nonblocking mode. In this case, opening for read only will succeed even if no-one has opened on the write side yet, opening for write only will fail with ENXIO (no such device or address) unless the other end has already been opened. Under Linux, opening a FIFO for read and write will succeed both in blocking and nonblocking mode. POSIX leaves this behavior undefined. This can be used to open a FIFO for writing while there are no readers available. A process that uses both ends of the connection in order to communicate with itself should be very careful to avoid deadlocks. NOTES
When a process tries to write to a FIFO that is not opened for read on the other side, the process is sent a SIGPIPE signal. FIFO special files can be created by mkfifo(3), and are indicated by ls -l with the file type 'p'. SEE ALSO
mkfifo(1), open(2), pipe(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), socketpair(2), mkfifo(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 FIFO(7)