Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with variable type
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with variable type Post 39991 by Perderabo on Saturday 6th of September 2003 03:32:15 PM
Old 09-06-2003
For starters, expr only works with integers.

I'm not a csh expert, but your syntax looks wrong. I would have expected that you need to do something like:

set Xmin = `sort $OUTFILE | head -1 | awk '{printf("%10.3f\n", $1)};'`

Your algorithm is extremely inefficient. You should not sort the file at all. Initialize things by setting your min to a very large number and your max to a very small number (negative, but with a large absolute value). Then loop reading each value. If the value is less than the current min, it becomes the new min. If the value is larger than the current max, it becomes the new max. You should be able to get all 6 extrema with one pass of the unsorted file.

I would definately switch languages, probably to C. You really want a language with built in floating point support.

But you can do floating arithmetic by using bc. You need to echo in expressions and read the result. Try this command:
echo 1.5 + .5 | bc
to see what I mean.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get type of variable in perl

hello all how can i get the type of variable in perl like typeof(var); in javascript for instance ? to know if the variable is int or string ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting type of variable

Hello: Is there any way to tell the type of a passed or entered variable, if it is a string or integer,...etc. Thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stuck on a matching, copying type problem

Hi all, I am new to these forum and to scripting in general for that matter. i have been looking through the forums for something that could explain my problem. I have be come pretty familiar with sed and awk but I can not seem to figure this out... I am trying to match data from 3 files but every... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derek3131
4 Replies

4. Programming

Need help in storing command line argument argv[2] to a variable of int type

The following program takes two command line arguments. I want the second argument (fileCount) to be stored/printed as a int value. I tried my best to typecast the char to int (check the printf statement at last) but is not working...the output is some junk value. This program is in its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl variable type assessment

Hello experts, How we can find out,that what is type of a scalar variable? i.e a scalar var contain a number or a string. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with type-casting in awk

Hi I'm trying to write a script which takes an integer as input and checks for files with size > input and displays it on screen. The code I've tried : echo 'Enter the min file size expected' read filesize du -ah <folder name> | awk -F: '$1>int(filesize) {print $1,$2)' is always... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.bharadwaj
28 Replies

7. Programming

C++ type-casting a member variable in const methods

Is it permitted to type-cast a member variable passed in as a parameter in a member const method .. I am doing something like : in a return-type method () const { variable other = long(member variable) } this other assigned variable is not updating and I wonder if type-casting in such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriyer123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is a type of this variable?

I have a question about the type of this variable checkU= sudo cat /etc/passwd: grep $uname: wc -l I write a script to check the existent of username that get from the keyboard. If there is no username,it will create the username else it show the 'Duplicate name" message. The problem is it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thsecmaniac
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Type casting problem

hi guys, i m new to shell script.. i dont know how to type cast string into integers and i mention my problem below.. date="21091988" month=$((${date:2:2})) # extract the month from previous date variable temp=$(($month*23)) when i am trying to calculate the temp value i got the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raadhaakrishnan
5 Replies

10. Programming

Strange value of the double type variable: -nan(0x8000000000000)

I am confused by the value of "currdisk->currangle" after adding operation. Initially the value of "currdisk->currangle" is 0.77500000000000013, but after adding operation, it's changed to "-nan(0x8000000000000)", Can anyone explain ? Thanks! The following is the occasion of gdb debugging. 3338 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
8 Replies
float.h(3HEAD)							      Headers							    float.h(3HEAD)

NAME
float.h, float - floating types SYNOPSIS
#include <float.h> DESCRIPTION
The characteristics of floating types are defined in terms of a model that describes a representation of floating-point numbers and values that provide information about an implementation's floating-point arithmetic. The following parameters are used to define the model for each floating-point type: s sign (+-1) b base or radix of exponent representation (an integer >1) e exponent (an integer between a minimum e(min) and a maximum e(max)) p precision (the number of base-b digits in the significand) f(k) non-negative integers less than b (the significand digits) In addition to normalized floating-point numbers (f(1)>0 if x!=0), floating types might be able to contain other kinds of floating-point numbers, such as subnormal floating-point numbers (x!=0, e=e(min), f(1)=0) and unnormalized floating-point numbers (x!=0, e=e(min), f(1)=0), and values that are not floating-point numbers, such as infinities and NaNs. A NaN is an encoding signifying Not-a-Number. A quiet NaN propagates through almost every arithmetic operation without raising a floating-point exception; a signaling NaN generally raises a floating-point exception when occurring as an arithmetic operand. The accuracy of the library functions in math.h(3HEAD) and complex.h(3HEAD) that return floating-point results is defined on the libm(3LIB) manual page. All integer values in the <float.h> header, except FLT_ROUNDS, are constant expressions suitable for use in #if preprocessing directives; all floating values are constant expressions. All except DECIMAL_DIG, FLT_EVAL_METHOD, FLT_RADIX, and FLT_ROUNDS have separate names for all three floating-point types. The floating-point model representation is provided for all values except FLT_EVAL_METHOD and FLT_ROUNDS. The rounding mode for floating-point addition is characterized by the value of FLT_ROUNDS: -1 Indeterminable. 0 Toward zero. 1 To nearest. 2 Toward positive infinity. 3 Toward negative infinity. The values of operations with floating operands and values subject to the usual arithmetic conversions and of floating constants are evalu- ated to a format whose range and precision might be greater than required by the type. The use of evaluation formats is characterized by the architecture-dependent value of FLT_EVAL_METHOD: -1 Indeterminable. 0 Evaluate all operations and constants just to the range and precision of the type. 1 Evaluate operations and constants of type float and double to the range and precision of the double type; evaluate long double opera- tions and constants to the range and precision of the long double type. 2 Evaluate all operations and constants to the range and precision of the long double type. The values given in the following list are defined as constants. o Radix of exponent representation, b. FLT_RADIX o Number of base-FLT_RADIX digits in the floating-point significand, p. FLT_MANT_DIG DBL_MANT_DIG LDBL_MANT_DIG o Number of decimal digits, n, such that any floating-point number in the widest supported floating type with p(max) radix b dig- its can be rounded to a floating-point number with n decimal digits and back again without change to the value. DECIMAL_DIG o Number of decimal digits, q, such that any floating-point number with q decimal digits can be rounded into a floating-point num- ber with p radix b digits and back again without change to the q decimal digits. FLT_DIG DBL_DIG LDBL_DIG o Minimum negative integer such that FLT_RADIX raised to that power minus 1 is a normalized floating-point number, e(min). FLT_MIN_EXP DBL_MIN_EXP LDBL_MIN_EXP o Minimum negative integer such that 10 raised to that power is in the range of normalized floating-point numbers. FLT_MIN_10_EXP DBL_MIN_10_EXP LDBL_MIN_10_EXP o Maximum integer such that FLT_RADIX raised to that power minus 1 is a representable finite floating-point number, e(max). FLT_MAX_EXP DBL_MAX_EXP LDBL_MAX_EXP o Maximum integer such that 10 raised to that power is in the range of representable finite floating-point numbers. FLT_MAX_10_EXP DBL_MAX_10_EXP LDBL_MAX_10_EXP The values given in the following list are defined as constant expressions with values that are greater than or equal to those shown: o Maximum representable finite floating-point number. FLT_MAX DBL_MAX LDBL_MAX The values given in the following list are defined as constant expressions with implementation-defined (positive) values that are less than or equal to those shown: o The difference between 1 and the least value greater than 1 that is representable in the given floating-point type, b^1 - p. FLT_EPSILON DBL_EPSILON LDBL_EPSILON o Minimum normalized positive floating-point number, b^e(min)^-1. FLT_MIN DBL_MIN LDBL_MIN ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
complex.h(3HEAD), math.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 17 Dec 2003 float.h(3HEAD)