Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE your thoughts on the KDE desktop environmt Post 39760 by slipmode on Friday 29th of August 2003 02:11:57 PM
Old 08-29-2003
KDE is a pig of a desktop. To many features all over to accomodate everyone. Some may say that is good and I am glad that they enjoy it but there are other Window managers that have complete functionality to get things done. It just depends on the type of nix user you are. People that want a desktop like Windows can choose KDE. People that want a desktop that runs and is functional without all the bloatedness can run many other window managers that I think can do the job. For one Gnome. Also fluxbox, xfce, Suns new Mad Hatter and a few others. Also who needs all the bloated features of KDE if your using nix to its max by using the shell. Just my opinion.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

how to uninstall KDE desktop in fedora 11

please i would like to uninstall the KDE desktop in my fedora 11,previously i was using the default gnome desktop,i want to revert to gnome desktop (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redhat_9ja
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kde Desktop Effect won't work after installing OpenBox

I recently installed OpenBox to work with KDE in replacing the Kwin Session manager. A lot of things did seem to use less processing and memory, but it seems I've lost my KDE Desktop Effects. I managed to track down this in /home/user/.xsession-errors after trying to re-enable them: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
0 Replies

3. Linux

Load kde desktop, fedora server 21

can not load fedora 21 server kde desktop after install yum -y install @kde-desktop reboot (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaja
0 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

KDE Desktop

I installed KDE with Debian. The KDE desktop never appears. Much searching w/ Google and no help. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meow613
1 Replies
KBUILDSYCOCA4(8)						 KDE User's Manual						  KBUILDSYCOCA4(8)

NAME
kbuildsycoca4 - Rebuilds the system configuration cache. SYNOPSIS
kbuildsycoca4 [--nosignal | --noincremental | --checkstamps | --nocheckfiles | --global | --menutest | --track menu-id | --help | --help-qt | --help-kde | --help-all | --author | -v, --version | --license] DESCRIPTION
kbuildsycoca4, as part of the KDE command line tools ensures the proper operation of KDE by reading in all the .desktop, .xml, and .proto- col files to construct a binary database. KDE itself accesses this database during operation to provide configuration information a program needs to run. This tool is part of ksycoca4, which stands for KDE System Configuration Cache OPTIONS
--nosignal Do not signal applications to update --noincremental Disable incremental update, re-read everything --checkstamps Check file timestamps --nocheckfiles Disable checking files (dangerous) --global Create global database --menutest Perform menu generation test run only --track menu-id Track menu id for debug purposes --help Show help about options --help-qt Show Qt specific options --help-kde Show KDE specific options --help-all Show all options --author Show author information -v , --version Show version information --license Show license information USAGE
A standard way to run this program is by simply specifying the following command at the prompt kbuildsycoca4 FILES
/var/tmp/kde-$USER/ksycoca4 The default directory where the cache files are stored. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
$KDEDIRS Specifies which directories are part of the KDE installations SEE ALSO
kdeinit4 BUGS
There are probably tons of bugs. Use bugs.kde.org: http://bugs.kde.org to report them. AUTHOR
Darian Lanx <content@openprojects.net>. 2010-01-04 KBUILDSYCOCA4(8)