Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dual Boot a good idea?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dual Boot a good idea? Post 3937 by LivinFree on Saturday 14th of July 2001 03:07:42 AM
Old 07-14-2001

Better yet, it should be included in one of the disks with RH7.1. I know it's in 7.0. Be sure to browse throught the /mnt/cdrom/Redhat/RPMS/* directories on all of your disks, after you install. I find new stuff all the time that I have wanted to install, but not download due to my slow modem, and I've had it all along!

Good ol' RedHat...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot no more

Ok I had a windows and RH dual boot system and have now converted over completly to the linux system. How do I regain the other half of my drive? I cannot see it in the disk manager. what do I do to format so that i can mount it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. BSD

dual boot

I have recently installed free bsd on my windows xp laptop so that now it is a dual boot system. It worked fine for the first couple of days, but now whenever I try to boot into windows it hangs, giving the message WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys, bsd however, loads fine. I was wondering either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elfhat
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitations of awk? Good idea? Bad idea?

Keeping in mind that I'm relatively comfortable with programming in general but very new to unix and korn/bourne shell scripts.. I'm using awk on a CSV file, and then performing calculations and operations on specific fields within specific records. The CSV file I'm working with has about 600... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

any good idea on this?

txt file like this, 1 2 3 4456 a bb c d 3 f e 1 k 32 d m f e 123 m 2 k every line contains 3 or more columns, all the columns are separated by space, and every column includes 1 to 3 character. what I wanna do is deleting the first three columns, and keep the rest no matter how long... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

5. Linux

Dual-boot help

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a dual-boot machine with Linux (RH FC 5) and Unix (Solaris 10)? I currently have one OS (Linux RH FC 5) on one drive (master) and another OS (Unix - Solaris 10) on the other drive (slave). I am a little unsure of what to modify the grub.config file with,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trmn8r
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches a good idea?

Hi folks. I work with several production servers, and I have seen in some Kernel Cache using most of the memory. See this pic: http://i51.tinypic.com/301nb6c.jpg Do you think this is a smart choice? Remember these are productions servers and it is extremely necesary this does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: erick_tuk
6 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dual boot

Hi, I am having 1 TB hard disk and in that I have to install windows,linux 64 bit and linux 32 bit total 3 operating systems I need to install, how could I do that please help. I am having 64 bit machine h/w Thanks, Trimurtulu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compact script with array - Good idea?

Hi, I have a shell script where a lot of the code is repeated. I wanted to make the code much more compact so I spoke to a guy and he suggested using arrays, like follows: #!/bin/bash readonly -a nginx=('nginx' '--prefix=/opt' '-j 4' 'http://nginx.org/download/nginx-1.2.2.tar.gz' )... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spadez
2 Replies
vxdiskadd(1M)															     vxdiskadd(1M)

NAME
vxdiskadd - add one or more disks for use with Veritas Volume Manager SYNOPSIS
vxdiskadd disk_address_pattern_list DESCRIPTION
The vxdiskadd utility configures disks for use by Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM). Disks must already have been formatted. vxdiskadd prompts the user for a disk group name and disk name for the disks. If no disk group name specified, the disks will be left as unassigned replacement disks for future use. A new disk group may be created that will become the disks' disk group. If a disk group is specified for the disks, the user is prompted for whether the disks should be designated as spares for the disk group. For new disks, all space on the disk becomes free space in the disk's disk group. vxdiskadd interactively allows initialization to be done for all the disks specified or allows the user to ask to make the decision for each disk individually. One or more disks may be specified with a disk_address_pattern_list. The basic form of a disk address is c#t#d#. Any leading portion of this address may be specified to indicate that all disks that match that leading portion should be used. For example c2t0 may be used to specify all disks on controller 2, target 0. More than one disk address or address pattern may be specified on the command line. In case of enclosure-based names, the disk address will be of the form enclosurename_diskno. The enclosurename indicates that all disks in the specified enclosure are used. For example, emc1_ is used to specify all disks in the enclosure emc1. The word all may be used to specify all disks on the system. Disk address names relate directly to device node names in the /dev/dmp and /dev/rdmp directories. Here are more examples: all: all disks c3 c4t2: all disks on controller 3 and controller 4, target 2 c3t4d2: a single disk (in the c#t#d# naming scheme) xyz_0 : a single disk (in the enclosure based naming scheme) xyz_ : all disks on the enclosure whose name is xyz The files /etc/vx/cntrls.exclude, /etc/vx/disks.exclude and /etc/vx/enclr.exclude may be used to exclude controllers or disks from use by vxdiskadd. Each line of cntrls.exclude specifies the address of a controller to exclude, for example, c2. Each line of disks.exclude spec- ifies a disk to exclude, for example, c0t3d0. Each line of enclr.exclude specifies the name of an enclosure to exclude, for example, enc0. All courses of action that do not involve clear failure conditions require prompts from the user, with defaults supplied as appropriate. Help is made available at every prompt. Entering ? in response to a prompt displays a context-sensitive help message. OPERATIONS
Reconnecting a drive that was temporarily inaccessible This situation is detected automatically by noting that the specified drive has a disk ID that matches a disk media record with no currently associated physical disk. After reconnection, any stale plexes referring the disk are reattached, and any stopped volumes referring the disk are restarted. This reattach action is performed by calling the vxrecover utility. Initialization of a disk with reserved regions Initialization of the disk is performed by calling vxdisksetup. Adding a disk to an existing disk group This operation can be performed independently of the initialization of the disk drive. The operation adds the disk to the group so that its storage is added to the free space pool in that disk group. The vxassist utility can subsequently allocate from that free space. Creation of new disk groups in which to import a new disk If disks are added that are required to be put into a disk group that does not exist, the option of creating the disk group is offered. Hardware-Specific Note Some environments provide guidelines to optimize VxVM's interaction with intelligent storage systems. If these guidelines are present, VxVM follows the guidelines when adding disks to disk groups. If the operation fails due to these guideline(s), you are prompted to use the force option. The force option ignores any such storage-specific guidelines. FILES
/etc/vx/cntrls.exclude Specifies the address of controllers to exclude from vxdiskadd operations. /etc/vx/disks.exclude Specifies the address of disks to exclude from vxdiskadd operations. /etc/vx/enclr.exclude Specifies the address of enclosures to exclude from vxdiskadd operations. NOTES
EFI disks cannot be added to a disk group that is compatible with the Cross-platform Data Sharing (CDS) feature, nor can they be formatted as CDS disks. SEE ALSO
vxassist(1M), vxdisk(1M), vxdiskadm(1M), vxdisksetup(1M), vxintro(1M), vxrecover(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxdiskadd(1M)