Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Create a Term & Run chars on this Term Post 39305 by Perderabo on Tuesday 12th of August 2003 09:18:31 PM
Old 08-12-2003
People often leave their terminal world writable. If you could do this to your terminal, you could do it to theirs as well. That would be quite a security problem. I'm sure that your intentions are noble. But we don't discuss ways to violate system security here. So I will close this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting TERM variable

Does anybody know how to give a default TERM variable while telnetting to Solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DPAI
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X-Term for Windows

Hi Everyone, I need some information from all of you guys. I generally work on a Solaris OS in my school and I had heard that I can download something called X-Term on a Windows system and still work on some of the graphical things on windows which generally work only on unix. This is what I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelamarthi
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff between $TERM & $DISPLAY

Can anybody pls explain me the diff between $TERM & $DISPLAY ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Venky
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with TERM script

I am trying to amend an existing TERM script to prompt the end user for a password - then take that password and add it to a specific part of an existing file. Here is what I have - BUT - I am confusing Unix with Term and my script does not like what I added b/c the script simply runs through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Surdeymon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term and output term in desired field

Hi All, I have an input_file below and i would like to use Perl to search for the term "aaa" and output the 3rd term in the same row as "aaa".For Example, i want to search for the term "ddd" and would want the code to ouput the 3rd term in the same row which is "fff". Can somebody help ? ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
28 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing for TERM type

There are times where I want to use putty(vt100 TERM) and hummingbird (XTERM) is there a way to test what terminal connection I am using in my .profile so I can set my commands like stty erase correctly. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

killproc -term

Hi, I am trying the function killproc -term and it seems to be doing something extra that kill <pid> doesn't do. My daemon cleanly terminates using kill, but not using killproc. I tried strace on killproc and then killproc works well. I read online that strace ignores SIGSTOP. does that mean... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fosfat
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk For a Specific Term

I'm having trouble pulling specific ROWS out of a very large file. I've been using an awk command in unix that looks like this: awk '{if ($16=="ACCEPTOR" || $16=="DONOR") print $0}' file1 > file2 However, it is not selecting all of the rows which include either acceptor or donor in them. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: infiniteabyss
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

qvt term with windows xp

I.m using qvt term to convert my windows xp laptop to work with sun ultra 5 unix system but i can't connect - my settings are off and i can't figure it out - i have a feeling it is my serial port # the porgramm is asking for. Can someone tell me where i can find this number. thanks Christine (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucenta tire
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Error term undefined

i keep getting this error when i ssh using my id - any idea (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tariq_m
2 Replies
secdef(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 secdef(3)

NAME
secdef: open_secdef(), close_secdef(), get_secdef_str(), get_secdef_int() - security defaults configuration file routines SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
opens the security configuration file This function must be called prior to calling or closes the security configuration file. and return the value of the specified parameter defined in the security configuration file. See the security(4) manpage. Programs using these routines must be compiled with APPLICATION USAGE
In a multithreaded application, these interfaces are thread-safe, but not async-cancel-safe. A cancellation point may occur when a thread is executing any of these interfaces. RETURN VALUE
returns a value of if the open completed successfully. Otherwise, it returns and leaves unchanged from the call. and return the follow- ing: The value of the specified parameter was successfully returned. The entry was not found, or the security configuration file was not opened. The format of the entry was incorrect. EXAMPLES
This example obtains the "path" from the parameter. FILES
Security defaults configuration file. SEE ALSO
security(4). secdef(3)