Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Sytem 5, release 3
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX Sytem 5, release 3 Post 3919 by samklyle on Friday 13th of July 2001 03:59:54 PM
Old 07-13-2001
MySQL Thanks, Neo

Well, it's currently running on Intel 486's so I guess you're saying the bus size doesn't matter. What we currently do is back up the entire system to a tape drive in case the hard drive crashes then we can boot to and restore from the tape drive. I'm hoping to save the system to the tape drive then move it to a new Pentium and boot from and restore from the tape drive. I don't know how to get the new Pentium to boot from the SCSI tape drive. What do you think?
thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sco unix 5.0.5 call sytem() function question!please help me!

i want to know the return value of calling system function in the sco unix 5.0.5.what is the meaning of the return value? ............ int ret; char cmd; strcpy(cmd,"compress -F -c file >file.Z"); ret = system(cmd); ............. i want to know how to judge whether the file's compress is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hit
4 Replies

2. AIX

created sytem from mksysb

Hi, Whats are the changes I need if I have created the system from production server? I restore if from mksysb. I know I need to change the /etc/hosts and ip address. What else? Thanks in advance, Itik (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with UNIX System V Release 4.0?

Hello, I'm a COMPLETELY new to Unix and was interested in learning C Programming by following the book "The C Programming Language (ANSI C) " by Dennis Ritchie, and in the book the authors use UNIX... Now I have an old Compaq Armada 4120 laptop that I've wiped completely clean by "fdisking" the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NJenkins
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to intercept sytem calls

I would like to port a small utility from Linux to AIX and, lacking any software development knowledge for AIX, need some help: I have a library called Snoopy. Basically it intercepts the execv() and execve() system calls and logs them to the syslog-facility AUTHPRIV then passes control over to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix system v release 3.2 (sco-unix?)

another unix printing issue. our client based pc's used to print some form's to our hp printer. as of the moment they can not print. i have checked & did the ff: #lpstat -r (scheduler is running) i dunno if i need to restart the whole unix box via shutdown or just checking at... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedimaster
15 Replies

6. AIX

How to trace file sytem size change?

I need write a script to trace filesystem size change, such as /home will increase some size and then release some space. I don't know when increase happen. I want to get the size before increase and the size after release. How to write this script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Package release on UNIX environment

Hi, Can some one tell what is Package release on UNIX environment. Thanks, Nag (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory usage per user,percent usage,sytem time in ksh

Let's say i have 20 users logged on Server. How can I know how much memory percent used each of them is using with system time in each user? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To determine the File Sytem Usage on Multiple UNIX server

Hello All :) I want to write a shell script to find the file system usage on multiple UNIX servers. Commands: df -g fsJCAPS Below script works fine and it displays results on terminal/console. I want to store /redirect output on to local server from where I'm running the script. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammad Nawaz
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error UNIX: UNIX SCO release 5.05 system does not boot

UNIX sco release 5.05 system does not boot:cannot open device hd(40)/boot stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/bootWhat to do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joaoalpande
2 Replies
MT(1)							      General Commands Manual							     MT(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape control SYNOPSIS
mt [-f device] [count] DESCRIPTION
Mt is a user interface to the magnetic tape commands described in mtio(4). It allows one to space a tape forwards or backwards, write end of file markers, etc. With the -f option a tape device can be named, otherwise the environment variable TAPE is used if set, otherwise the default device /dev/nrst4 is assumed. Standard input is used if the tape name is a dash (-). The count argument is used to tell how many blocks or files to space or how many file markers to write. It may be a C-style decimal, octal or hexadecimal constant, by default "1". Command is the action to perform, it may be one of the following, or any unambiguous prefix (like st for status): eof, weof Write count end-of-file markers. fsf Forward space count file markers. fsr Forward space count records. (The size of a record depends on the tape, and may even be variable, depending on the size of the writes.) bsf Backwards space count files. The count may be zero to backspace to the start of the current file. (A tape device need not support backwards movement, or may be very slow doing it. Rewinding and forward spacing may be better.) bsr Backwards space count records. The tape is positioned after the last block of the previous file if you hit a filemark when spacing backwards. The block count is set to -1 to indicate that the driver has no idea where it is on the previous file. eom Forward space to the end of media. rewind Rewind the tape. offline, rewoffl Rewind and take offline. This may cause some drives to eject the tape. status Shows the status of the drive, the sense key of the last SCSI error, current file number, current record number, residual count if the last command that encountered end-of-file, and the current block size. retension Removes tape tension by winding and rewinding the tape completely. erase Erases the tape completely and rewinds it. density Sets the density code to read or write the tape to count. Density codes supported depend on the drive. This command need not be used if the drive senses the proper density on read and can only write one density. blksize, blocksize Sets the block size used to read or write the tape to count. This command may be used to select a fixed block size for a variable block size tape. This will speed up I/O for small block sizes. Use a zero count to use variable sized blocks again. ENVIRONMENT
TAPE Tape drive to use if set. FILES
/dev/nrst4 Default tape device. SEE ALSO
mtio(4), st(4). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) MT(1)