Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating user ids on multiple systems simultaneously Post 39151 by thehoghunter on Thursday 7th of August 2003 03:22:48 PM
Old 08-07-2003
You could try cfengine to update your passwd (and shadow) files {not positive of what it uses to copy the files over} - as long as nfs home directories are being used since I doubt you could create home directories with it.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating IDs on HPUX 11.x

HPUX 11.0. Want to create a set of IDs (about 4 or them) for various teams to use to logon to the server. However, client does not want teams to logon directly to the server (via console, telnet etc) with these IDs. Rather, they want the teams to logon with their own ID then su to the new ID. IDs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
3 Replies

2. Programming

Creating a Unique ID on distributed systems

Hi, How do you actually create a unique ID on a distributed system. I looked at gethostid but the man page says that its not guaranteed to be unique. Also using the IP address does not seem to be a feasible solution. Is there a function call or mechanism by which this is possible when even the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pic
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple processes writing on the same file simultaneously

Hi All, I have encountered a problem,please help me. I have a script in which multiple processes are writing on to the same file . How should I stop this , I mean lock mechanism can be implemented or we can write the at different files and then concatenate the files. What would be a better... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sayantan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files simultaneously

Hi , I have a large no of files which all end in .asp.htm extension . But for proper navigation between the pages I need to rename all those files as .asp only . How can it be done ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nshailesh
4 Replies

5. AIX

Multiple IDs

Hello Guys, We've around 20 machines & I've root access for all of them. Also, we have around 4 different ID's in these machines. I have to change the passwords every month, I was wondering is there a way to change the password for multiple IDs at one shot? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AbhijithS
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I create symbolic links for multiple files simultaneously

Does anybody know how to make symbolic links for multiple files simultaneously? Often times I need make symbolic links for multiple files with some common pattern (just like "*.jpg"). Is there a way to avoid making symbolic link for each of them one by one... Thank you! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple ssh commands inside a shell simultaneously

I would like to execute a commands in four different servers through ssh at a single instance(simultaneously). Below are the details with examples, ssh user1@server1 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server2 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server3 "grep xxxx logs" Each statement will take some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amutha
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write bash script for creating user on multiple Linux hosts?

I wonder whether someone can help me with what I'm trying to achieve Basically, the objective is one script to create new user on more than 70 linux hosts if required. Everything works apart from the highlighted part. It gave me an output passwd: Unknown user name ''. when try to set... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugeulu
35 Replies
shmids(2)							   System Calls 							 shmids(2)

NAME
shmids - discover all shared memory identifiers SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/shm.h> int shmids(int *buf, uint_t nids, uint_t *pnids); DESCRIPTION
The shmids() function copies all active shared memory identifiers from the system into the user-defined buffer specified by buf, provided that the number of such identifiers is not greater than the number of integers the buffer can contain, as specified by nids. If the size of the buffer is insufficient to contain all of the active shared memory identifiers in the system, none are copied. Whether or not the size of the buffer is sufficient to contain all of them, the number of active shared memory identifiers in the system is copied into the unsigned integer pointed to by pnids. If nids is 0 or less than the number of active shared memory identifiers in the system, buf is ignored. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, shmids() returns 0. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The shmids() function will fail if: EFAULT The buf or pnids argument points to an illegal address. USAGE
The shmids() function returns a snapshot of all the active shared memory identifiers in the system. More may be added and some may be removed before they can be used by the caller. EXAMPLES
Example 1: shmids() example This is sample C code indicating how to use the shmids() function. void examine_shmids() { int *ids = NULL; uint_t nids = 0; uint_t n; int i; for (;;) { if (shmids(ids, nids, &n) != 0) { perror("shmids"); exit(1); } if (n <= nids) /* we got them all */ break; /* we need a bigger buffer */ ids = realloc(ids, (nids = n) * sizeof (int)); } for (i = 0; i < n; i++) process_shmid(ids[i]); free(ids); } ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ipcrm(1), ipcs(1), intro(2), shmctl(2), shmget(2), shmop(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 8 Mar 2000 shmids(2)