Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SunOS - root's .profile
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SunOS - root's .profile Post 39141 by xadamz23 on Thursday 7th of August 2003 02:12:52 PM
Old 08-07-2003
SunOS - root's .profile

There is no .profile file for the root user. It should reside in "/". Can I just copy a .profile file into "/"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS version 5.7 root password recovery?

I just received a Sun microsystem ultra 5 for a auction, it is running sunOS version 5.7, when it boots it asks for user login and password, I dont have either, is there a way to login in as root user with out the password or is there a way to recover the password so I can get in to my system? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mscav219
1 Replies

2. Solaris

root rlogin on sunos 5.9

Hi folks, Lately, i was asked to install some software on a sunos 5.9. The problem is that i cannot setup the r services for the installation to work properly : rlogin/rsh root without password. It keeps on bumping me login incorrect when i try to rlogin/rsh it with root ... I wonder why... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
3 Replies

3. Solaris

.profile for root ?

Hi friends, On a Solaris system is the .profile executed for the user root also as it is for any normal user ? if i have to change the PATH variable can i add it to the .profile? and by default ther .profile is not found in the / directory. i can see it in /etc as /etc/profile. Should i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sveera
1 Replies

4. Solaris

sunOS 4.x.x root login

I have an old (I mean "dinosaur old") server that is running SunOS 4.1xxx. I need to allow root login ONLY on the console. I've looked in /etc/default for the login file for the "console=/dev/console" parameter is, but there's no 'default" dir in /etc. Can someone help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change root's .profile settings

As a regular (non-root) user on Unix servers I'm accustomed to changing my .profile file to set paths that I frequently use, etc. I am trying to learn unix and set up a test server running SunOS 5.8. When I login as root I don't see a .profile file that belongs to root wherein I could change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

6. Solaris

sshd (openssh) on SunOS without root privileges

Hi, I've just managed to install openssh in my home directory on a server I have access to by using --prefix=$HOME/local after ./configure. Another thing I was having trouble with without root access was privilege separation, so I disabled that in my sshd_config. However, when I run... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
10 Replies

7. Solaris

trying to add .profile for root

I am trying to add a .profile for root I cd to / do vi .profile and get /var/tmp/ExGXaaqa Read only file system... What does this mean? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: liven
4 Replies

8. AIX

Ho to copy root profile?

Does anybody know how to copy/mirror root profile in AIX 5.2? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fraydey
1 Replies

9. AIX

aix 6.1 root .profile not found

hello all i just installed my 1rst 6.1 machine and it's working fine but i can't find the root .profile ????? can any one help BEst Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: islam.said
1 Replies

10. Solaris

.profile initial values in hp ux vs SunOS

Hi, Does .profile file have any intial values by default. I m presently migrating an application from HP UX to SUN OS. Please share the precautions needs to be taken during migration of .profile file. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
1 Replies
remove profile(1m)														remove profile(1m)

NAME
remove profile - Removes all profile elements and the profile from the specified name service entry SYNOPSIS
rpccp remove profile profile-entry-name [-s syntax] OPTIONS
Indicates the name syntax of the entry name (optional). The only value for this option is the dce name syntax, which is the default name syntax. Until an alternative name syntax becomes available, specifying the -s option is unnecessary. ARGUMENTS
Indicates the name of the target profile. For an entry in the local cell, you can omit the cell name and specify only the cell-relative name. DESCRIPTION
The remove profile command removes a profile (and all of its elements) from the name service database. The entry name of the profile is required. Privilege Required You need write permission to the CDS object entry (the target profile entry). NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLES
The following commands run RPCCP and remove the profile named /.:/LandS/anthro/molly_o_profile: $ rpccp rpccp> remove profile /.:/LandS/anthro/molly_o_profile RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: add element(1m), remove element(1m), show profile(1m) remove profile(1m)