Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash shell script Post 38990 by norsk hedensk on Saturday 2nd of August 2003 01:48:57 AM
Old 08-02-2003
bash shell script

im trying to teach my self bash shell scripting. i want to include command line arguments in my script i am writing for practice. when i run my script it dosnt make a difference what arguments there are, it just out puts the error message as if there were none. here is the check_opts () function in my script, can someone tell me whats wrong here ?

Code:
check_ops () # lets see what happens ...
{
NO_ARGS=0
E_OPTERROR=65

if [ $# -eq "$NO_ARGS" ] # should check for no arguments
then
	echo "Usage: `basename $0` <OPTIONS> -s <HOSTNAME> "
	echo "Try './serverstatus -h' for more information."
	exit $E_OPTERROR
fi

while getopts ":invhs:" Option
do
	case $Option in
		i )
			interactivemode_func
		;;

n )
			non_interactivemode_func
		;;

v )
			version_func
		;;

h )
			help_func
		;;

s )
			echo "will take hostname" # dunno how to do this hold on
		;;

* )
			echo "Unimplemented option chosen"
		;;
	esac
done

shift $(($OPTIND - 1))
}

this is called by a main () function that is ran before anything. thanks !

edit: for option -s i will be setting the hostname that will be portscanned. usage would look like this:

./serverstatus -s hostname

if that is the only option i will want it to default to non interactive mode. i can post more of my script if someone needs to see what i am doing. it is all very simple, i run nmap <hostname> and set the output to $a

right now that is the first thing that is done with my server address right in the script. then all i do is grep $a for corresponding ports and echo if that service is running or not.

Last edited by norsk hedensk; 08-02-2003 at 12:17 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with bash shell script

Hi guys! I have just started with shell programming!! I am having pronblem with variable subsitutuion. when i do egrep "*" marks this will give me the pattern match. but how can i catch the output of that result in a variable. if i say result = egrep "*" marks it gives me syntax... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmtailor
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash shell script

Hi Guys, I am trying to alter a script for my company. I need the start of it to go something like this. User is asked to input 8 numbers 8 numbers are written to a txt file ***** ***** ***** txt file is read ***** ***** The text file gets read in between other files represented by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: outthere_3
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell script--need help

Hi all, i am beginner to unix and trying out a shell script which does the following. i have to calculate a persons salary. his salary is read from the keyboard. he has two types of deductions. 40% as dearness allowance and 20% as house rent. i have to print the gross salary. here is the code... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script- help

I need to invoke a program on remote server using ssh in a shell script. In addition i would like to capture date/time and if there is any errors , then script should write to log file. can someone please help me out? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam101
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with bash shell script

Hi, I have a file in which records contains non ascii characters. The records are comma delimited and quoted. The non ascii characters are found in a particular column. Example records "YY","AK000021","Ã","IO","PP" "Y1","AK000022","Ã","PO","PP" "Y2","AK000022","Ã","PO","PP" I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshu.agni
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell Script

HELP!My program ends after entering one choice---need help making it take multiple inputs,instead of terminating after displaying just one #!/bin/bash# Crude address databaseclear # Clear the screen.echo " Contact List"echo " ------- ----"echo "Choose one of the following... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: help123
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with bash shell script

I need to create digit day script that takes a single numeric argument and then it should print out the day of the week using the number modulo 7 formula e.g: 0 - Sunday 6- Saturday 131 - Friday I am fairly new to unix so I don't know how to use the number modulo 7 formula. Does the script need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lukefrost96
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
getoptcvt(1)							   User Commands						      getoptcvt(1)

NAME
getoptcvt - convert to getopts to parse command options SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/getoptcvt [-b] filename /usr/lib/getoptcvt DESCRIPTION
/usr/lib/getoptcvt reads the shell script in filename, converts it to use getopts instead of getopt, and writes the results on the standard output. getopts is a built-in Bourne shell command used to parse positional parameters and to check for valid options. See sh(1). It supports all applicable rules of the command syntax standard (see Rules 3-10, intro(1)). It should be used in place of the getopt command. (See the NOTES section below.) The syntax for the shell's built-in getopts command is: getopts optstring name [ argument...] optstring must contain the option letters the command using getopts will recognize; if a letter is followed by a colon (:), the option is expected to have an argument, or group of arguments, which must be separated from it by white space. Each time it is invoked, getopts places the next option in the shell variable name and the index of the next argument to be processed in the shell variable OPTIND. Whenever the shell or a shell script is invoked, OPTIND is initialized to 1. When an option requires an option-argument, getopts places it in the shell variable OPTARG. If an illegal option is encountered, ? will be placed in name. When the end of options is encountered, getopts exits with a non-zero exit status. The special option -- may be used to delimit the end of the options. By default, getopts parses the positional parameters. If extra arguments (argument ...) are given on the getopts command line, getopts parses them instead. So that all new commands will adhere to the command syntax standard described in intro(1), they should use getopts or getopt to parse posi- tional parameters and check for options that are valid for that command (see the NOTES section below). OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -b Makes the converted script portable to earlier releases of the UNIX system. /usr/lib/getoptcvt modifies the shell script in file- name so that when the resulting shell script is executed, it determines at run time whether to invoke getopts or getopt. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Processing the arguments for a command The following fragment of a shell program shows how one might process the arguments for a command that can take the options -a or -b, as well as the option -o, which requires an option-argument: while getopts abo: c do case $c in a | b) FLAG=$c;; o) OARG=$OPTARG;; ?) echo $USAGE exit 2;; esac done shift `expr $OPTIND - 1` Example 2: Equivalent code expressions This code accepts any of the following as equivalent: cmd -a -b -o "xxx z yy" filename cmd -a -b -o "xxx z yy" -filename cmd -ab -o xxx,z,yy filename cmd -ab -o "xxx z yy" filename cmd -o xxx,z,yy b a filename ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of getopts: LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. OPTIND This variable is used by getoptcvt as the index of the next argument to be processed. OPTARG This variable is used by getoptcvt to store the argument if an option is using arguments. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 An option, specified or unspecified by optstring, was found. >0 The end of options was encountered or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(1), getopts(1), sh(1), shell_builtins(1), getopt(3C), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
getopts prints an error message on the standard error when it encounters an option letter not included in optstring. NOTES
Although the following command syntax rule (see intro(1)) relaxations are permitted under the current implementation, they should not be used because they may not be supported in future releases of the system. As in the EXAMPLES section above, -a and -b are options, and the option -o requires an option-argument. The following example violates Rule 5: options with option-arguments must not be grouped with other options: example% cmd -aboxxx filename The following example violates Rule 6: there must be white space after an option that takes an option-argument: example% cmd -ab oxxx filename Changing the value of the shell variable OPTIND or parsing different sets of arguments may lead to unexpected results. SunOS 5.10 7 Jan 2000 getoptcvt(1)