Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to parameterize multiple search patterns and generate a new file Post 38910 by augustinep on Wednesday 30th of July 2003 08:50:16 AM
Old 07-30-2003
Thank you very much Perderabo. I was able to automate the report process.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Match a line with multiple search patterns

Hi I'm not very good with the serach patterns and I'd need a sample how to find a line that has multiple patterns. Say I want to find a line that has "abd", "123" and "QWERTY" and there can be any characters or numbers between the serach patterns, I have a file that has thousands of lines and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - How to search a text file with multiple patterns?

Good day, great gurus, I'm new to Perl, and programming in general. I'm trying to retrieve a column of data from my text file which spans a non-specific number of lines. So I did a regexp that will pick out the columns. However,my pattern would vary. I tried using a foreach loop unsuccessfully.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sp3ck
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search multiple patterns in multiple files

Hi, I have to write one script that has to search a list of numbers in certain zipped files. For eg. one file file1.txt contains the numbers. File1.txt contains 5,00,000 numbers and I have to search each number in zipped files(The number of zipped files are around 1000 each file is 5 MB) I have... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search multiple patterns

I have two lists in a file that look like a b b a e f c d f e d c I would like a final list a b c d e f I've tried multiple grep and awk but can't get it to work (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzilla07
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: Multiple search patterns & print in an one liner

I would like to print result of multiple search pattern invoked from an one liner. The code looks like this but won't work gawk -F '{{if ($0 ~ /pattern1/) pat1=$1 && if ($0 ~ /pattern2/) pat2=$2} ; print pat1, pat2}' Can anybody help getting the right code? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search Multiple patterns in unix

Hi, I tried to search multiple pattern using awk trans=1234 reason=LN MISMATCH rec=`awk '/$trans/ && /'"$reason"'/' file` whenevr i tried to run on command promt it is executing but when i tried to implment same logic in shell script,it is failing i.e $rec is empty ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ns64110
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search multiple patterns and remove lines from a file?

Hi, I have a file content as below. Table : PAYR Displayed fields: 15 of 15 Fixed columns: 4 List width 0999... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirdi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search patterns in multiple logs parallelly.

Hi All, I am starting a service which will redirect its out put into 2 logs say A and B. Now for succesful startup of the service i need to search pattern1 in log A and pattern2 in log B which are writen continuosly. Now my requirement is to find the patterns in the increasing logs A and B... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace multiple patterns in a particular column only - efficient script

Hi Bigshots, I have a pattern file with two columns. I have another data file. If column 1 in the pattern file appears as the 4th column in the data file, I need to replace it (4th column of data file) with column 2 of the pattern file. If the pattern is found in any other column, it should not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss112233
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Multiple patterns and display

Hi, I have scenario like below and need to search for multiple patterns Eg: Test Time Started= secs Time Ended = secc Green test Test Time Started= secs Time Ended = secc Green test Output: I need to display the text starting with Test and starting with Time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
2 Replies
MSGCHK(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								 MSGCHK(1)

NAME
msgchk - check for messages SYNOPSIS
msgchk [-date | -nodate] [-notify all/mail/nomail ] [-nonotify all/mail/nomail ] [-host hostname] [-user username] [-sasl] [-saslmech mech- anism] [-snoop] [users ... ] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
The msgchk program checks all known mail drops for mail waiting for you. For those drops which have mail for you, msgchk will indicate if it believes that you have seen the mail in question before. The -notify type switch indicates under what circumstances msgchk should produce a message. The default is -notify all which says that msgchk should always report the status of the users maildrop. Other values for `type' include `mail' which says that msgchk should report the status of waiting mail; and, `nomail' which says that msgchk should report the status of empty maildrops. The -nonotify type switch has the inverted sense, so -nonotify all directs msgchk to never report the status of maildrops. This is useful if the user wishes to check msgchk's exit status. A non-zero exit status indicates that mail was not waiting for at least one of the indicated users. If msgchk produces output, then the -date switch directs msgchk to print out the last date mail was read, if this can be determined. Using POP msgchk will normally check all the local mail drops, but if the option "pophost:" is set in the mts configuration file "mts.conf", or if the -host hostname switch is given, msgchk will query this POP service host as to the status of mail waiting. The default is for msgchk to assume that your account name on the POP server is the same as your current username. To specify a different username, use the `-user username' switch. When using POP, you will normally need to type the password for your account on the POP server, in order to retrieve your messages. It is possible to automate this process by creating a ".netrc" file containing your login account information for this POP server. For each POP server, this file should have a line of the following form. Replace the words mypopserver, mylogin, and mypassword with your own account information. machine mypopserver login mylogin password mypassword This ".netrc" file should be owned and readable only by you. For debugging purposes, there is also a switch -snoop, which will allow you to watch the POP transaction take place between you and the POP server. If nmh has been compiled with SASL support, the -sasl switch will enable the use of SASL authentication. Depending on the SASL mechanism used, this may require an additional password prompt from the user (but the ".netrc" file can be used to store this password). The -saslmech switch can be used to select a particular SASL mechanism. If SASL authentication is successful, inc will attempt to negotiate a security layer for session encryption. Encrypted traffic is labelled with `(encrypted)' and `(decrypted)' when viewing the POP transaction with the -snoop switch. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mts.conf nmh mts configuration file /var/mail/$USER Location of mail drop PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
inc(1) DEFAULTS
`user' defaults to the current user `-date' `-notify all' CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MSGCHK(1)