Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: making use of a Semaphore
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting making use of a Semaphore Post 38908 by FDavid on Wednesday 30th of July 2003 06:29:31 AM
Old 07-30-2003
Java An example

i have a c menu script in csh that has the following functions: sort, grep, append. two of these are my client files. i have a data server file that these client files can perform their functions on. The semaphore must ensure mutual exclusion when both clients attempt to perform a function at the same time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

semaphore

hi, is there any command where we can monitor semaphores? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yls177
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Semaphore

Hi, I'm new to UNIX. I need to know what's a semaphore Do reply. Thanks VJ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjsony
3 Replies

3. Programming

Example for use of kernel semaphore

Hi friends I'm doing a project and in that I need to use kernel semaphore but I'm not very clear about how to use it. I've used system V semaphore. What I find difficult to understand is that in system V semaphore, a semaphore set is registered to the system (the semid returned from semget call... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Semaphore

Hi, I am looking to use a semaphore for the first time in one of my scripts. I am just wondering if there are any simple examples or tutorials around? I am a beginner so the simpler the better :) Thanks -Jaken (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaken
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

semaphore

what is semaphore? can any body explain it in a more simple way than the manual ?? replies appreciated Regards raguram R (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
7 Replies

6. Programming

Semaphore

In my server code there is a thread per client... The server call accept() and after that start the thread. So there is a thread for client that save in RAM the client's message, that will be send to other clients. Now in RAM I have created a shared memory in which thread read and write(save)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: italian_boy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

semaphore

Control two exclusively shared resources(semaphore). The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gokult
0 Replies

8. Programming

Semaphore

If I create a semaphore and then I fork a number of child processes then all the child process use that same semaphore. Since the process address spaces are different rfom each other then how all the child process are able to access the same semaphore? I understand that semaphore/mutex is at os... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Semaphore

Can anyone tell me abt the Semaphore concept and what is semaphore??? is semaphore id is associated in terms as in resources like semaphore id 1 indicates cpu share unit is given and semaphore id 2 will indicate abt the memore or semaphore id 3 will tell us the i/o components (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aarjun07
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Semaphore

I was asked to add this piece of code to a c program which I will execute through the shell: for(long i = 0; i < NITER; i++) { sem_wait( &sema); count++; sem_post( &sema); } I didn't get it, which is the critical section ? if it's "count++" how would a thread wake up in order to enter it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uniran
1 Replies
ris(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    ris(8)

Name
       ris - remote installation services utility

Syntax
       /etc/ris

Description
       The  utility performs remote installation services which install system software to a client machine through the TCP/IP local network.  The
       client machine can be a VAX or a RISC machine.

The server on which the remote installation services area is located can be either a VAX or a RISC machine.

The remote installation services utility uses the directory as a base.  When you install the first product to the utility creates a  remote
       installation services area.  The area is called either or

The  area contains one or more ULTRIX software products.  Each product contains the subsets of the kits that can be installed to clients on
       a network.  Clients registered for an area install software over the network to their processor.

The utility performs the following functions:

a -  Add client

r -  Remove client

s -  Show products in remote installation environments

m -  Modify client

i -  Install software

You must use the utility interactively to set up a remote installation services area.  After you have set up a remote installation services
       area on the server, you can use the utility either interactively or from the command line to manage clients.

The directory also holds a subdirectory, This directory contains a database file, that you can use to manage multiple clients.

Examples
       The example that follows invokes the utility interactively:
       # /etc/ris

A menu appears from which you can select options to perform functions.

The examples that follow manage the client using the command line.

The syntax of the command to add a client follows:
       /etc/ris -a <clientname> -h <Ethernet_address> -p path,product[,product]

The following command adds client and allows that client to install a product over the network:
       # /etc/ris -a bergal -h 08-00-2B-03-05-8B -p ris0.mips,product_1

The syntax of the command to modify a client follows:
       /etc/ris -a <clientname> [-h <Ethernet_address>] [-p <path,product,product>]

The following command modifies client and allows that client to install a product over the network:
       # /etc/ris -m bergal -p ris0.mips,product_2

The syntax of the command to remove a client follows:
       /etc/ris -r <clientname>

The following command removes client
       # /etc/ris -r bergal

Files
See Also
       setld(8)
       Guide to the Remote Installation Services
       Guide to Server Setup

ris(8)