Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: set ip address
Special Forums IP Networking set ip address Post 3873 by htsubamoto on Thursday 12th of July 2001 06:19:04 PM
Old 07-12-2001
If you wanto to set ip address and keep this address after boot, edit your /etc/hostname.interface file, where interface is the interface you want to bind the address. If this file contains the hostname of your system you can also change the ip address in /etc/hosts file.
Note: if you have more than one NIC, there must be the same number of /etc/hostname.interface files as NICs you have. By default, solaris only creates the hostname.interface file for the first NIC in your system. If you want to bind an IP addres to another card, you must put the IP address in these files (/etc/hostname.interface)

Regards

HTT

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

set the source IP address to zero

Hi, does anybody know how to set the IP source address of an IP packet to be zero? The problem is that when you create a raw socket and set the IP_HDRINCL socket option, if you put the ip_src address to zero (INADDR_ANY) the kernel will automatically set the source address to the primary IP address... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: developer
2 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Email Address set up too late

I set up the email address for my account too late for it to be activated prior to the transmission of the activate message from unix.com. Can you resend that message? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Retson Retap
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set server's ip address, router, network mask and set if it is an internal or external ip?

Hello, I need to write a program which sets server's ip address, router, network mask. Program also should set if it is an internal or external ip. Maybe someone can help me ? Any information from u is very useful :b: I stopped at .. :( #!/bin/sh A=`hostname -i` echo "server ip address is $A"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zagaruika
4 Replies

5. Solaris

i want to set ip address to a virtual machine

hi all i want to set ip address to a vitrual machine i am using following command. but it is not ifconfig -a command output. what is wrong i dont know bash# ifconfig interfacename plumb bash# ifconfig interfacename auto-dhcp Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

Set default return address for all mails sent from mailx

Hi, I have a question about mailx in Red Hat: If I use 'mail userid@mydomain.com -- -f root@mydomain.com', the return mail address will be root@mydomain.com. How can I make all mails sent from this system use root@mydomain.com as return address by default? Thank you in advance! nz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Can you set the MAC address in a zone

Hello, On our Solaris 10 servers we have shared NIC interfaces. We have a program that is having issues talking to the all zones because they have the same MAC address. Is there a way with zonecfg or ifconfig to change the MAC on the zones? Other wise we need to rewire the servers and I don't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
4 Replies

8. Solaris

How to set gateway address to a particular interface?

How to set gateway address to a particular interface? waht are the files need to update to make it permanent? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

C program to detect duplicate ip address if any after assigning ip address to ethernet interface

Hi , Could someone let me know how to detect duplicate ip address after assigning ip address to ethernet interface using c program (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
3 Replies

10. Linux

Unable to set static ip address

Hi All, Am using centos 7 in my vmware workstatio with the bridged network. when run the ifconfig cmd its not at all showing the ip address and pls advise how to set static ip address in my linux box. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathkumar s
1 Replies
securenets(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						     securenets(4)

NAME
securenets - NIS map security file DESCRIPTION
The file defines networks and hosts that can access the NIS maps on a server. Each line in the file gives a network mask and a net address. For example: The format of the file is as follows: o Lines beginning with the character are treated as comments. o Lines that are not comment lines contain two fields separated by white space. The first field is a netmask, and the second field is a network. o The netmask field can be one of the following: o 255.255.255.255 (IPv4) o ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff (IPv6) o the string indicating that the second field is a specific host to be allowed access. The file can have any number of netmask/net pairs. When is started on the server, it checks for the existence of and reads its contents into memory if it exists. must be stopped and restarted for any changes in to take effect. Upon startup, the netmask and the net address are converted to binary format and logical ANDed. The result must equal the net address (the second address) to be legal. If the netmask is 255.255.255.255 (all 1's in binary), any address in the net address argument will match it. If any field in the netmask is 0, the corresponding field in the net address must be 0. When used in this way, the portion of the addresses given as 0 acts as a wild card. When a client attempts to bind to the server, checks the client's IP against those given in the file. Again, the address is converted to binary and logical ANDed with the netmask. The result must equal the net address given in the file. If the client address does not match any pairs in the file, the binding is refused with the message, "no such map in server's NIS domain". The file can be used to limit access to specific hosts or to subnets using the wildcard capability. If there are syntax errors in the file, messages are logged to the logging file (default and is not started. If a host has multiple interfaces, each interface address must be allowed in the securenets file for that host to have reliable NIS access. EXAMPLES
The following examples show entries for the file. Either of the following entries provides access only to the host with address 192.33.33.33: or The following entry allows access by any host on the 192.33.33 subnet: For broader access, such as an entire enterprise, the following entry allows any host whose address begins with "15" to be served: Either of the following entries allows access for an individual IPv6 address: or The following entry allows access for all IPv6 addresses starting with "fec0": SEE ALSO
ypserv(1M). securenets(4)