Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with the strlen function in ksh Post 38712 by steiner on Thursday 24th of July 2003 06:16:59 AM
Old 07-24-2003
Problem with the strlen function in ksh

Hello,

Just a little problem with the ksh function in this program

while read line ; do
TOTO=$line
TOTONB=strlen ($TOTO)
echo $TOTONB
echo $line
done

So i have no value return in TOTONB , so i think that strlen don't work correctly . The doc don't give me any explications to avance in my problem.

I also test with the following lines :

TOTONB=$(strlen($TOTO)) --> don't work
TOTONB=strlen[$TOTO] --> don't work

Have anyone the good syntax or a explication for this problem

Thanks a lot...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problems with Strlen

hello, i have a problem with strlen. I have written this: for(y=13,z=0; cInBuf!=' ';y++) { cBuf=cInBuf; z++; } len = strlen(cBuf); out=len/2; fprintf(outfile,"F%i",out); If strlen is e.g. 22, it write F22. I want to write F2F2. How can i do this?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ACeD
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh built-in function

Does anyone know why the following expression return an error ] while the following one not ?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solea
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: can you use getopts in a function?

I wrote a script that uses getopts and it works fine. However, I would like to put the function in that script in a startup file (.kshrc or .profile). I took the "main" portion of the script and made it a function in the startup script. I source the startup script but it doesn't seem to parse... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

5. Programming

'strlen' of a constant string

In a declaration, I have: const char comment_begin = "<!--"; const char comment_end = "-->"; const int comment_begin_len = strlen(comment_begin); const int comment_end_len = strlen(comment_end); When I compile, I get the warnings: emhttpc.c:64: warning: initializer element is not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh has function -x as ksh ?

Dear All, Normally, I use ksh to code script but I got a new assignment to check the error code of csh so I want to know csh has fuction -x(/bin/ksh -x) as ksh or not? If csh has, which mode? Another way, how can I check it my code is correctly? Thank in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing values to function in Ksh

Hi, I'm trying to work on the script given below #!/bin/ksh -x pfile() { echo "$1" } touch smp19 echo "Hi" > smp19 result=$(pfile $smp19) echo $result As highlighted , when i pass $smp19 as parameter ,it does not display the output.However when i try giving "Hi" instead... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheema
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Function in KSH

I have a script with 2 functions 1) show_menu 2) create Ths show_menu function works fine....... Sort of.... When I select option 2 of the menu the code does a few commands and then calls another function called create. It's at this point that I get "create: not found"..... However,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxman
2 Replies

9. Programming

strlen for UTF-8

My OS (Debian) and gcc use the UTF-8 locale. This code says that the char size is 1 byte but the size of 'a' is really 4 bytes. int main(void) { setlocale(LC_ALL, "en_US.UTF-8"); printf("Char size: %i\nSize of char 'a': %i\nSize of Euro sign '€': %i\nLength of Euro sign: %i\n",... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - different syntax for function

Hi, I wanted to know what's the difference between the below two syntax used for writing ksh function: e.g. 1 ------ function fn1 { echo "Hello World" } e.g. 2 ------ fn1 () { echo "Hello World" } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
4 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)