Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The biggest newb ever...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The biggest newb ever... Post 38623 by davidg on Tuesday 22nd of July 2003 01:29:52 AM
Old 07-22-2003
Hi,

Why are you posting here ?
It's because you're interested in Unix, right ? Now that's the reason to have Unix installed.

It's the strenght of your own knowledge to learn multiple OS'es.
I think ones you have seen Unix/Linux you know it's going to be your next job or not. Let's say Unix is flexible, you get free downloads everywhere for the OS itself or software for your OS.

If I where you I'dd at least tried it for ones, it won't hurt, will it ?
Better go to a shop and get the books in as well for those few 60 Euro's. I prefer Sun, but for intel Mandrake should do, of course RedHat, etc are ok as well. Try to strick with a GUI based one as your first try. It will be hard to understand all command's the first time.

@yourservice
David

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

top biggest files

hi all, is there any way how i can output the top 10-30 biggest files for all filesystem? using du -sh * is quite tedious since i have to move from 1 directory at a time. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3rr0r_3rr0r
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding biggest number

I think my script is working but i am trying to understand while I am tracing to see if it's realli working.. can somebody please comment.. also. is there different way to write this in shell? sh -x findbiggestnum 1 2 3 + big=0 + big=1 + big=2 + big=3 + echo 3 3 big=0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort biggest most recent files

if i am in /tmp file, and i have a few DIRs under /tmp. i want to find the biggest and most recent files (from 7 days ago) in /tmp and subfolders. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top 5 biggest file

Hi , I need to get a list of name and size , of the the top 5 biggest file under the current directory , in decending order Thank You (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Biggest files on FS /

Hi! I'm using Unix HP I'm looking for a command which find the 20 (less or more) biggest files on / but which exclude every other files system Thanks;) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List biggest files (Not Directories)

Hello, can you please help me writing a command that would output the biggest files on my system from biggest to smallest? I want this to print only the files, not the directories. I have tried du -a ~ | sort -nr | head -10 However, this also prints out all the directories - which I do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonydaniels1980
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to get the biggest partition with awk

# fdisk -l /dev/sda Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes Disk... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep 5 biggest column

please help, file1.txt id,week,ict,outgoing_call,blackberry_problem,gprs_problem,sms_problem,flash_problem,sinyal_lemah,blankspot,incoming_call,mms_problem,kualitas_suara,drop_call,data_probl em,cross_connect,connect_no_voice,vas_problem ,1,sumbagsel,96,127,52,70,28,29,21,18,18,8,5,3,0,0,3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: radius
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find biggest word in a file....?

With any cmd like sed grep ask etc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sidpatil
1 Replies
LINUX-VERSION(1)					      General Commands Manual						  LINUX-VERSION(1)

NAME
linux-version - operate on Linux kernel version strings SYNOPSIS
linux-version compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 linux-version sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] linux-version list [--paths] DESCRIPTION
linux-version operates on Linux kernel version strings as reported by uname -r and used in file and directory names. These version strings do not follow the same rules as Debian package version strings and should not be compared as such or as arbitrary strings. compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 Compare version strings, where OP is a binary operator. linux-version returns success (zero result) if the specified condition is satisfied, and failure (nonzero result) otherwise. The valid operators are: lt le eq ne ge gt sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] Sort the given version strings and print them in order from lowest to highest. If the --reverse option is used, print them in order from highest to lowest. If no version strings are given as arguments, the version strings will instead be read from standard input, one per line. They may be suffixed by arbitrary text after a space, which will be included in the output. This means that, for example: linux-version list --paths | linux-version sort --reverse will list the installed versions and corresponding paths in order from highest to lowest version. list [--paths] List kernel versions installed in the customary location. If the --paths option, show the corresponding path for each version. AUTHOR
linux-version and this manual page were written by Ben Hutchings as part of the Debian linux-base package. 30 March 2011 LINUX-VERSION(1)