Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers CTRL+H versus ^? versus BACKSPACE Post 38618 by Cameron on Monday 21st of July 2003 10:32:50 PM
Old 07-21-2003
I think it's stty erase=^H , give that a try - I'm not a 100% sure.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

<LF> versus <CR>/<LF>

Hello, Can someone explain how to distinguish a LF character and a CR/LF character in a text file from a shell script. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

2. AIX

AIX versus Networks

HI folks, Actually i have a network engineer having 2 and 1/2 years of experience in cisco having CCNA certification also. Now my company offering me to move to AIX field. I am new to AIX and do not know more about that field. So i want a suggestion from you peoples, that I have to join AIX or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rawatmohinder
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disable and Enable Backspace or Ctrl^H in vi

Could anybody tell me how I can disable or enable the backspace key in vi editor. I would like to feel the essence of the commands of vi editor but as I have the latest version and it is supporting the backspace key. I do it on promp using the command stty erase - This command stops the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cpio versus cp

I am copying a file system to another one. someone suggest me use find . -print |cpio -pdmv but I think cp -r should do the same thing. Am I right? In addition, by using " find . ", I got all the file names,, why do I have to use the -print option? Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fredao
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Versus Cut

Hello ALL, I am looking for a comparison in 2 commands using awk and cut that would replicate the following command below. This is completely for speed reasons checking apache logs for unique IPs. Contender #1 awk '{!a++}END{for(i in a) if ( a >10 ) print a,i }' access_log I need a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne sh versus bash

Hi All, I know difference between shell(s) we are using, ie. sh, bash etc. But while writing shell script, is there any difference which shell I am using. and if yes, what are they? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris versus Centos

hi guys In a few days I will be working in a new Job my new chief told I will be using Solaris and since I know Centos-Red Hat-Fedora I would like to know if Solaris is that different from Centos and my other linux Flavors... by the way any good solaris manual thanks a lot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

8. SCO

Printing via hpnpf versus lp

Hi, We have a Unix 3.2v5.0.5. I installed a printer via scoadmin, HP network printer manager with network peripheral name an ip-adress. This is the configuration file : Code: root@sco1 # cat configurationBanner: on:AlwaysContent types: simpleDevice: /dev/null Interface:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haezeban
2 Replies
SYSADMIN(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SYSADMIN(1)

NAME
sysadmin - responsible for everything imaginable that may or may not have to do with the system you're using. Contraction of "system" and "administrator" SYNOPSIS
sysadmin [-ab] [-cd] [-ef] etc...... DESCRIPTION
sysadmin takes care of everything, is generally harangued, must be supplied with coffee, chocolate, and alcohol in order to function prop- erly, cannot be exposed to direct sunlight, and must not be allowed to have a life. sysadmin is not intended as a user interface routine; other programs provide user-friendly front ends; sysadmin is used by everyone who can track him [her] down. With no flags, sysadmin reads its standard input up to an EOF, or a line which sysadmin wishes to parse, and then proceeds to ignore it entirely and read news all day. When invoked with the -w option, sysadmin reads standard input and responds according to terms of job description. OPTIONS
-bofh Go into Bastard Operator From Hell mode. This option causes sysadmin to use tools stored in the /usr/lib/bofh directory to parse the standard input and route user tasks appropriately. -cd causes sysadmin to become caffeine-deprived, resulting in system slowdowns. -b causes the sysadmin to function normally while augmenting the standard input with beer(5). Can be used with the -t option as well, depending upon which version of sysadmin you are running. -t causes the sysadmin to smoke tobacco, which can result in significant performance improvement, provided you are running the correct version of sysadmin. -Cfile Specify an alternate configuration file (sysadmin.cf is the standard). -dX set debuggin value to X. -fFullname Set the full name of the sysadmin. -Bf Create the sysadmin.cf configuration freeze file. -lname Sets the name of the "luser" person (that is, originator of a given request). -l can only be used by "trusted" users (who are listed in sysadmin.cf). NOTES
The -t option should not be used with a version of sysadmin which is not capable of parsing tobacco input. Though the functionality of this command may seem similar to the -b option, it should not be confused with that or the related -c option. 25 September 1995 SYSADMIN(1)