Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cp options
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cp options Post 3857 by milage on Thursday 12th of July 2001 11:43:51 AM
Old 07-12-2001
cp options

Hello again,

Is there an option for the cp command to overwrite existing files in the destination directory?

Cheers

Rob

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

options

I am just beginning to learn unix and I was wondering if there was a list of all the options somewhere on the net or hidden in the man pages? Also do options always have - and then a letter, or can it be - and a number as well? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terms5
1 Replies

2. AIX

no options

Hi All, I have a situation here that's very fun... I have a system with AIX and iPlanet (sunOne) installed, when occurs an unknown event on the network the WebServer shows a thousand of CLOSE_WAIT connections and this number grows and grows until the webserver crashs. I read some documents... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nascimento.rp
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

uniq options

Hi I am currently using uniq -u and uniq -d option in my program to get uniq and duplicate lines from file. What i doing is uniq -c file1>file_u uniq -d file1>file_d cat file_u file_d > file_fiinal Since i am procesing a larger files the I/O operations is costly affair. Hence I would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep options

Hi Team, I have a list of 12000 files and i am need to search for the names of the file which has long version numbers (say more than 5 decimals).. With the below instance u~15.1.4.1.2.1.5.1.5.1.24.1.24.1.5 lk-l~22.1.3.1.9.1.7.1.24.1.23 YDFVALLN.CPY~1 YEUPCASE.CPY~1 YFPRSTID.CPY~1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Further nslookup options if any !!

Hi , I have a requirement to find the aliases by doing an nslookup on the Cname. If i do an nslookup on the alias name i get the Cname , but i need the cname from alias name. eg: Hostname = acb.example.com Virtual name= abcvirtual.example.com nslookup abcvirtual.example.com will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpics66
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping options in HP-UX

Hi All, Wanted to know is there any option in HP-UX like "ping -c" in AIX. As I am using ping in a script and on the basis of its return value will perform some actions. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Socket options

Hi everyone, Question for gurus: Is there a way for us to determine the options used by a socket? I basically want to know if SO_KEEPALIVE is enabled on a socket to know if the tcp_keepalive_abort_interval parameter will be used by that connection. Was I clear enough? :confused: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Kernel boot options removed by fault, no boot options

Hello Everyone, First of all, I highly appreciate all Linux forum members and whole Linux community. http://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif. I wish you the best for all of you ! I will try to be short and concise: I am using Linux Mint 10 for 2 months on 2 ws, and all went... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdt
3 Replies
MV(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     MV(1)

NAME
mv -- move files SYNOPSIS
mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source target mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source ... directory DESCRIPTION
In its first form, the mv utility renames the file named by the source operand to the destination path named by the target operand. This form is assumed when the last operand does not name an already existing directory. In its second form, mv moves each file named by a source operand to a destination file in the existing directory named by the directory oper- and. The destination path for each operand is the pathname produced by the concatenation of the last operand, a slash, and the final path- name component of the named file. The following options are available: -f Do not prompt for confirmation before overwriting the destination path. (The -f option overrides any previous -i or -n options.) -i Cause mv to write a prompt to standard error before moving a file that would overwrite an existing file. If the response from the standard input begins with the character 'y' or 'Y', the move is attempted. (The -i option overrides any previous -f or -n options.) -n Do not overwrite an existing file. (The -n option overrides any previous -f or -i options.) -v Cause mv to be verbose, showing files after they are moved. It is an error for either the source operand or the destination path to specify a directory unless both do. If the destination path does not have a mode which permits writing, mv prompts the user for confirmation as specified for the -i option. As the rename(2) call does not work across file systems, mv uses cp(1) and rm(1) to accomplish the move. The effect is equivalent to: rm -f destination_path && cp -pRP source_file destination && rm -rf source_file DIAGNOSTICS
The mv utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. The command "mv dir/afile dir" will abort with an error message. LEGACY DIAGNOSTICS
In legacy mode, the command "mv dir/afile dir" will fail silently, returning an exit code of 0. For more information about legacy mode, see compat(5). SEE ALSO
cp(1), rm(1), symlink(7) COMPATIBILITY
The -n and -v options are non-standard and their use in scripts is not recommended. The mv utility now supports HFS+ Finder and Extended Attributes and resource forks. The mv utility will no longer strip resource forks off of HFS files. For an alternative method, refer to cp(1). STANDARDS
The mv utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A mv command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
July 9, 2002 BSD