Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem w. case structure
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem w. case structure Post 38552 by Perderabo on Saturday 19th of July 2003 11:46:40 AM
Old 07-19-2003
No, that doesn't work. The 0-6 represents, well, 0 through 6. And then the final 0 represents just zero again. You will need to use an "if" statement of some kind. In ksh, I would do:

if ((answer >= 0 && answer <=60)) ; then

You have something else that doesn't work. You can't (generally) do:
read $answer
it should be
read answer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case structure

Hi, Can anyone help me with the following case structure? echo "Please enter the date for which you want the Report:\c" read dat d1=`echo $dat|cut -c7-8` m1=`echo $dat|cut -c5-6` y1=`echo $dat|cut -c1-4` yr=`expr "$d1" - 1` case "$yr" in 0) MONTH=`expr "$m1" - 1`... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamitsin
4 Replies

2. Programming

Search attributes in one structure using the values from another structure

Hello Groups I am trying to find out ways of comparing a value from a 'c' structure to a value in another 'C' structure. the 'C' structure can be a List or liked list as it contains lot many records. if we loop it in both the structures it is going to consume time. I am looking for a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with listing of directory structure

Hi When im listing (ls -al ) its listing directories without / at the end of directories dir1 dir2 dir3 and i need to list directories with dir1/ dir2/ dir3/ and this should not be made by command ls -F / should be embedded at the last since one of the scripts reads directories... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
1 Replies

4. Programming

Problem in static structure array in C

Hi, I have a following problem in C. I have a function A in which I used to call another function (function B) and pass an array of values through array variable by using below:- foo=functionB(array); In functionB, i used to just return some "values" (e.g return num;) in order to pass... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh case structure

Hello Experts, I ve been trying to build another shell where I am using the following code. transact="tv5cpc1" case "$transact" in "...cp..") xActType="" ;; "...de..") xActType="sp_dep" ;; "...ep..") xActType="sp_epa" ;; "....v.") ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fall through case structure

Hello Experts, I was wondering how can we get a fall trough case structure. Eg: If we have two cases A and B and a default; if I do not break after A, it should execute all the statements of A as well as B if I break after B else fall through even lower. I tried this: #!/bin/sh v1=1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

case structure in .sh file

Hi, while true do printf "$FBOLD\nPlease enter the minutes (0-59): $FREG" read MIN case "$MIN" in ||s) break 2;; *) echo "" echo "Invalid minutes, please try again.";; esac done In the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case structure combined with standard input

Hi folks, I am new to bash scripting so please excuse my question. Is there any chance to combine a case structure with the read command? Like case (read -p "" variable) in x) Thx! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haukee
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with structure of authlog in regard to an external log Auditing system.

Hello everyone, I hope I'm posting my question in the right section as it is not too easy to find the ideal spot for this one, especially for a brandspankingnew user of this forum. As this might be something simple I chose the Dummy section. By all means, feel free to move the post if not at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sjleegketting
4 Replies

10. Programming

Malloc problem with fread() to read file to structure in C

Hello, I am trying to read a text file into linked list, but always got the first and last records wrong. 1) The problem looks related to the initialization of the node temp with malloc(), but could not figure it out. No error/warning at compiling, though. 2) The output file is empty,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
10 Replies
QUIZ(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   QUIZ(6)

NAME
quiz -- random knowledge tests SYNOPSIS
quiz [-t] [-i file] [question answer] DESCRIPTION
The quiz utility tests your knowledge of random facts. It has a database of subjects from which you can choose. With no arguments, quiz displays the list of available subjects. The options are as follows: -t Use tutorial mode, in which questions are repeated later if you didn't get them right the first time, and new questions are presented less frequently to help you learn the older ones. -i Specify an alternative index file. Subjects are divided into categories. You can pick any two categories from the same subject. quiz will ask questions from the first cate- gory and it expects answers from the second category. For example, the command ``quiz victim killer'' asks questions which are the names of victims, and expects you to answer with the cause of their untimely demise, whereas the command ``quiz killer victim'' works the other way around. If you get the answer wrong, quiz lets you try again. To see the right answer, enter a blank line. Index and Data File Syntax The index and data files have a similar syntax. Lines in them consist of several categories separated by colons. The categories are regular expressions formed using the following meta-characters: pat|pat alternative patterns {pat} optional pattern [pat] delimiters, as in pat[pat|pat]pat In an index file, each line represents a subject. The first category in each subject is the pathname of the data file for the subject. The remaining categories are regular expressions for the titles of each category in the subject. In data files, each line represents a question/answer set. Each category is the information for the question/answer for that category. The backslash character (``'') is used to quote syntactically significant characters, or at the end of a line to signify that a continuation line follows. If either a question or its answer is empty, quiz will refrain from asking it. FILES
/usr/share/games/quiz The default index and data files. BUGS
quiz is pretty cynical about certain subjects. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD