Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Crontab Mistake!!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Crontab Mistake!!! Post 38504 by cstovall on Thursday 17th of July 2003 11:51:29 AM
Old 07-17-2003
Thanks for your suggestions. I have corrected the problem
by recreating a root crontab file and placing it in the /usr/spool/crontabs directory.

Now when I type "crontab -l" I see the new crontab file I created; however, when I try to overwrite my exisiting crontab file with the command "crontab somefile."

I still get the following error:

crontab: error on previous line; unexpected character found in line

Also, when I try editting the file with the crontab -e command I can't save the file without the creating multiple text lines after pressing the escape key. I am using the vi editor.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Did a Mistake with HACMP

Hi, I needed space on a FS, and when I've added the space on the filesystem, I did it trough the regular smitty fs inteface and not with smitty cl_lvm. Can someone help me to repair the situat before a faileover happen ? Thanks for your help,:mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: azzed27
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any mistake in this code:

cat $1 | sort -n | uniq | $1 in other words, I sort the content of the file and put the ouput in the same file, is there any mistakes in this cshell code ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Takeeshe
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleted the scripts in Crontab by mistake

hi, instead of typing crontab -e i gave crontab -r and hit enter. So i lost all my scripts. Is there any way to restore the deleted scripts? Please help me out Thanks Ajay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Probably some stupid mistake...

Hi everyone ! I have a file wich look like this : >Sis01 > Sis02 ... >Sis44 I want to separe each paragraphe in a different file, so I decide to use the "FOR" loop + sed. for f in {01..44} do (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sluvah
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Changing Desktop Environment by mistake

Hi, I'm using fedora 15, my defualt DE is XFCE I once saw that there is a option in startup DE's that I can select and it was OPENBOX. I just wanted to test it. but after choosing it as my DE here I am. I have just access to terminal, firefox.. what's in my desktop. there is no panel here. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoseinit
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can anyone help me to spot my mistake?

Hi there can anyone help me to spot my mistake and please explain why it appears My code : #!/usr/bin/gawk -f BEGIN { bytes =0} { temp=$(grep "datafeed\.php" | cut -d" " -f8) bytes += temp} END { printf "Number of bytes: %d\n", bytes } when I am running ./q411 an411 an411: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange type mistake?!

Hi, I want to start MY_PROGRAM in a bash script with additional parameters given in the CONFIGURATION_ARRAY. IFS="'" CONFIGURATION_ARRAY=( '-N 0 -m 0' '-N 0 -m 1' ) for configuration in ${CONFIGURATION_ARRAY} do //DEBUG N=${configuration%-*} //-N 0 M=-${configuration##*-} //-m 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xraystorm
5 Replies

8. Programming

Archive script spot a mistake?

#!/bin/bash source=/to_be_archived dest=/archived echo "is this archive for an audio tar press (t) or an audio directory press (d)" read option case $option in d) cd "$source" echo "please specify full path to directory you want to be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition on shell not working , not sure what is the mistake I am doing?

I have a requirement to perform specific set of tasks based on server , So I want to have the condition(s) defined based on server. Here is the script I came up with and I have read multiple blogs and couldn`t find any mistake from my script. Can you guide on what I am overlooking here ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varja
2 Replies
bcrontab(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bcrontab(1)

NAME
bcrontab - Manage users crontab files SYNOPSIS
bcrontab [ -u user ] file bcrontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
bcrontab interfaces with the bcron-spool daemon to manage crontab files in the privileged spool directory. OPTIONS
-u user Tell bcron-spool that we are acting on behalf of the named user. bcron-spool will only accept the username if bcrontab is running as either root or the same user ID as the named user. -l List the cronab crontab to standard output. -r Remove the user's crontab. -e Edit the current crontab. ENVIRONMENT
VISUAL If this is set, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. EDITOR If $VISUAL is not set and this is, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. If neither are set, /bin/vi is used. BCRON_SOCKET The path to the named socket used to communicate with bcron-spool. Defaults to /var/run/bcron-spool. LOGNAME USER These two variables are used, in order, to determine the user name invoking the program. One must be set if the -u option is not used. FILES
bcrontab tries to writes a temporary file into the current directory, and then into /tmp if that fails, in order to edit the current crontab. SEE ALSO
bcron-spool(8), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Bruce Guenter <bruceg@em.ca> bcrontab(1)