Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Communication over firewall
Special Forums Cybersecurity Communication over firewall Post 38502 by ajnabi on Thursday 17th of July 2003 10:54:10 AM
Old 07-17-2003
thanks protologic
The information i was looking for is security concerns with this kind of settings .. since my system behind the firewall is open to the system outside the firewall, how safely can i do the remote display of one window from one system to other.

Moreover I want to minimize the traffic over the network while doing this, since I am using an existing network over the system which is used for some other purpose. Is there a way to program this settings so that traffic is minimal.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

serial communication

This isn't really a unix question, or even a programming question, but I hope you guys can help. I want to create a program to control the electricity on a model railway. I have created the program to that it sends characters over the serial cable, but now I need to do the switch that will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interprocess communication status

hello gurus, I was wondering if someone would help me shed more light on this command. What I know so far is ipcs - stands for inter-process communication status and it reports on the following types of system resources. 1) Message queues 2) Shared memory and 3) Semaphores Please explain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
4 Replies

3. Solaris

help on network communication

Hi, Can anyone suggest a Unix command or c-shell algorithm to simulate to behavior of "wall" command minus the "all users"? What I'm trying to do is to send a notice to just one particular user but i dont want other remotely-logged-on users to receive the message (on the pseudo-terminals). I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Communication Failures

HI ALL, I have been trying to install a particular software using remote linux server. some thing like this: rsh <host ID> /usr/sbin/swinstall -x autoreboot=true -s /tmp/<software> <Product name>. The problem is whenever I try to install the product through a shell script the installation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: barun agarwal
1 Replies

5. AIX

communication problems

hello i'v two aix servers 4.3. last night the goes down becuse electrical f problems. when the servers comes up i've notice that file /unix is gone. i've fix it and the problem fixed. after few hours the same crash becuse elctrical problems. file /unix is there , but now i've a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interprocess Communication

Hiya Everybody just joined, Not sure if this is the right section:o I require abit of an assistance with IPC! I know there are different types of IPC porcesses like signals, semaphores, mutexes, shared memory, message queues, pipes and sockets. Now say a system has a number of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.I.Joe
4 Replies
IPFW(4)                                                    BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                    IPFW(4)

NAME
ipfw -- IP packet filter and traffic accounting SYNOPSIS
To compile ipfw into the kernel, place the following option in the kernel configuration file: options IPFIREWALL Other kernel options related to ipfw which may also be useful are: options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100 To load ipfw as a module at boot time, add the following line into the loader.conf(5) file: ipfw_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The ipfw system facility allows filtering, redirecting, and other operations on IP packets travelling through network interfaces. The default behavior of ipfw is to block all incoming and outgoing traffic. This behavior can be modified, to allow all traffic through the ipfw firewall by default, by enabling the IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT kernel option. This option may be useful when configuring ipfw for the first time. If the default ipfw behavior is to allow everything, it is easier to cope with firewall-tuning mistakes which may acciden- tally block all traffic. To enable logging of packets passing through ipfw, enable the IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE kernel option. The IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT option will prevent syslogd(8) from flooding system logs or causing local Denial of Service. This option may be set to the number of packets which will be logged on a per-entry basis before the entry is rate-limited. Policy routing and transparent forwarding features of ipfw can be enabled by IPFIREWALL_FORWARD kernel option. The user interface for ipfw is implemented by the ipfw(8) utility, so please refer to the ipfw(8) manpage for a complete description of the ipfw capabilities and how to use it. SEE ALSO
setsockopt(2), divert(4), ip(4), ipfw(8), sysctl(8), syslogd(8), pfil(9) BSD September 1, 2006 BSD