Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Looking Out from Behind a Firewall Post 38432 by mntamago on Wednesday 16th of July 2003 10:11:35 AM
Old 07-16-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by thehoghunter
Is system B the firewall or something else? Normally you can restrict access for one IP in or out but you would have to post what type of systems, firewall, versions...
I believe I have used some inappropriate wording.

Both system A and system B are PCs. The users of these PC have to access the internet many times a day to obtain information about various things. Both A and B enter out into the internet through the same gateway point.

While user B has no problem retreiving internet pages, user A is almost completely unable to retreive information from the internet. However, A has no trouble retreiving pages located on our intranet.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

What Firewall do you use?

Just out of curiosity, I see a lot of people here use Linux IPTables as their firewall. Anyone here use something else like OpenBSD PF or *BSD IPF, IPFW? I'm quite fond of OpenBSD and their Packet Filters. I find their syntax much easier to manage and from my personal experience, I find them... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarballed
5 Replies

2. IP Networking

Linux Firewall

ON A LINUX NETWORK, HOW DO I ASSIGN IP ADDRESSES TO OTHER TERMINALS AND AFTER THAT HOW I CAN DENY/GRANT ACCESS TO TERMINALS ON A LAN TO MY TERMINAL.PLEASE SPECIFY THE EXACT COMMANDS.kINDLY HELP ME (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameya_shaligram
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

routing and firewall

I have a PC with KUBUNTU installed on it and with 2NIC's on it (two PCI network 100Mbit cards). I want to use it as a server packet router and firewall between two computers with windows installed on them, each of this computer being connected to one different card on the KUBUNTU server. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meorfi
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

help with firewall

hi everyone I am a newbee to firewall scripting. cannot understand how to write rules per host. in ip6tables. anyone plz:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xecutioner
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

firewall query

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: produce a report containing an iptable firewall definition for a system requproduce a report containing an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boabbyrab
0 Replies

6. AIX

Firewall

:b:Hi,, How do configure firewall in aix.. similar to linux iptable. Rgards, k.sumathi. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
3 Replies

7. SuSE

Firewall

Is there a command line interface to the firewall? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
4 Replies

8. Linux

Firewall?

Dear All I have put my windows machine behind my centos firewall server with just one NIC. At now, the windows machine can ping 192.9.9.3 but cannot resolve valid url (like www.google.com). I have set DNS for it as well. Can you please let me know what is the missing step? Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Firewall

Hey Guys, I am looking for a good firewall software to implement in medium/large office, with at least 150 users. I was hopping you guys could help me on this one. Regards, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrevicente
4 Replies
inet(7F)																  inet(7F)

NAME
inet - Internet protocol family SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The internet protocol family is a collection of protocols layered on top of the (IP) network layer, which utilizes the internet address format. The internet family supports the SOCK_STREAM and SOCK_DGRAM socket types. Addressing Internet addresses are four byte entities. The include file defines this address as the structure Sockets bound to the internet protocol family utilize an addressing structure called Pointers to this structure can be used in system calls wherever they ask for a pointer to a There are three fields of interest within this structure. The first is which must be set to AF_INET. The next is which specifies the port number to be used on the desired host. The third is which is of type and specifies the address of the desired host. Protocols The internet protocol family is comprised of the IP network protocol, Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP), Transmission Control Proto- col (TCP), and User Datagram Protocol (UDP). TCP is used to support the socket type while UDP is used to support the socket type. The ICMP message protocol and IP network protocol are not directly accessible. The local port address is selected from independent domains for TCP and UDP sockets. This means that creating a TCP socket and binding it to local port number 10000, for example, does not interfere with creating a UDP socket and also binding it to local port number 10000 at the same time. Port numbers in the range 1-1023 inclusive are reserved for use by the super-user only. Attempts to bind to port numbers in this range by non-super-users fail and result in an error returned. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
tcp(7P), udp(7P). inet(7F)