Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Runaway process. Opinions needed Post 38250 by Perderabo on Wednesday 9th of July 2003 08:51:14 PM
Old 07-09-2003
It is just:
kill -9 -1
nothing after the -1 except carriage return.

And make sure that you su to the user first! If you run that kill command as root, you will kill everything.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runaway processes killed (Really need help)

I got about more than 300 emails from root with the subject "Runaway processes killed" saying that "13146 12737 97.7 6 bash" . So what should I do? Any help would be appreciate (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process automation ...help needed

hi all i am working in a organisation where we are using Ab Initio tool for datawarehousing purpose.Ab initio is installed on a unix environment.after developing the code we migrate it to production using certain commands which gets executed in the unix box.there are specific number of predefined... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
6 Replies

3. Programming

Runaway SIGALRM signal handler

I have written a program to demonstrate a problem I have encountered when using BSD style asynchronous input using the O_ASYNC flag in conjunction with a real time interval timer sending regular SIGALRM signals to the program. The SIGIO handler obeys all safe practices, using only an atomic update... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stewartw
8 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Backing up virtual machines - opinions/suggestions needed.

Hi, I was required to do a backup of a virtual machine that runs on vmware. The guest operating system is windows, and the host is windows too. I have to backup the whole directory of the virtual machine (say in linux it'll be in /var/lib/vmware/virtual machines/) to a linux server. Initially... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 60doses
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed to understand the process entry in ps -ef

Hi Guys, I am running a script which will refresh the views in my database. After running the script, when i ran ps -ef | grep "script_name" I found there are two entries for the same script process (actually 3 including the grep process). /bin/ksh path/scriptname sh -c... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runaway process

Hello all, My hosting provider has contacted me in order to notify about a runaway process issue. Here it is: They have given me a list of those processes but I can neither analyze nor understand what I should do. DATE Fri Nov 21 21:32:29 GMT 2008 SINFO hostname:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elwoodblues47
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opinions/Ideas/Suggestions needed

I'm currently developing a script to clean out certain directories based on age and name. Part of the assignment is to ensure that the cleaning of a directory is done under the user id of the owner (script is running as root). I have a few ideas on how to do this, but I'd like to hear your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in killing a process

I'm trying to kill a process which is in sleep mode and the parent PID is 1 but I can't kill it with "kill -9" command. Is there a way to kill this process without rebooting? Any help will be appreciated. Steve (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Runaway String Problem

Database.txt John:30:40 echo -n "New Title Please :" read NewTitle awk -F":" 'OFS = ":"{ $1 = "'$NewTitle'" ; print $0 } ' Database.txt> Database2.txt mv Database2.txt Database.txt what this does, is that when i input something into $NewTitle, it will update $1 which is "John" into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
3 Replies

10. AIX

Runaway Processes (I think)

Folks I suck a lot of things and performance issue is one of them. After upgrading from 5300-06-03 to 5300-12-04 we started seeing an issue with some runaway processes. It varies as some of these processes have a TTY accociated with them and some do not. If you could give me any idea of what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: juredd1
4 Replies
IGNORE_USER_ABORT(3)							 1						      IGNORE_USER_ABORT(3)

ignore_user_abort - Set whether a client disconnect should abort script execution

SYNOPSIS
int ignore_user_abort ([string $value]) DESCRIPTION
Sets whether a client disconnect should cause a script to be aborted. When running PHP as a command line script, and the script's tty goes away without the script being terminated then the script will die the next time it tries to write anything, unless $value is set to TRUE PARAMETERS
o $value - If set, this function will set the ignore_user_abort ini setting to the given $value. If not, this function will only return the previous setting without changing it. RETURN VALUES
Returns the previous setting, as an integer. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A ignore_user_abort(3) example <?php // Ignore user aborts and allow the script // to run forever ignore_user_abort(true); set_time_limit(0); echo 'Testing connection handling in PHP'; // Run a pointless loop that sometime // hopefully will make us click away from // page or click the "Stop" button. while(1) { // Did the connection fail? if(connection_status() != CONNECTION_NORMAL) { break; } // Sleep for 10 seconds sleep(10); } // If this is reached, then the 'break' // was triggered from inside the while loop // So here we can log, or perform any other tasks // we need without actually being dependent on the // browser. ?> NOTES
PHP will not detect that the user has aborted the connection until an attempt is made to send information to the client. Simply using an echo statement does not guarantee that information is sent, see flush(3). SEE ALSO
connection_aborted(3), connection_status(3), Connection Handling for a complete description of connection handling in PHP. . PHP Documentation Group IGNORE_USER_ABORT(3)