Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Runaway process. Opinions needed Post 38177 by Perderabo on Tuesday 8th of July 2003 02:51:00 PM
Old 07-08-2003
RTM, this sounds like a "while(1) fork();" situation. Every single process is trying to make more copies of itself.

You can su to the user in question. Then you can do: "kill -9 -1" which will kill every process owned by that user. That is the trick that I think you are looking for.

But: "kill -STOP -1" is more subtle. All of the user's processes will suddenly stop running. Then you can "kill -9" the bad guys. After the bad guys are gone, you can "kill -CONT" any good processes that you don't want to lose.

If your shell does not have kill as a built-in, there is a problem... you probably can't start another process to run the kill command. If that happens, use: "exec /usr/bin/kill -9 -1" or whatever.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runaway processes killed (Really need help)

I got about more than 300 emails from root with the subject "Runaway processes killed" saying that "13146 12737 97.7 6 bash" . So what should I do? Any help would be appreciate (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process automation ...help needed

hi all i am working in a organisation where we are using Ab Initio tool for datawarehousing purpose.Ab initio is installed on a unix environment.after developing the code we migrate it to production using certain commands which gets executed in the unix box.there are specific number of predefined... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
6 Replies

3. Programming

Runaway SIGALRM signal handler

I have written a program to demonstrate a problem I have encountered when using BSD style asynchronous input using the O_ASYNC flag in conjunction with a real time interval timer sending regular SIGALRM signals to the program. The SIGIO handler obeys all safe practices, using only an atomic update... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stewartw
8 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Backing up virtual machines - opinions/suggestions needed.

Hi, I was required to do a backup of a virtual machine that runs on vmware. The guest operating system is windows, and the host is windows too. I have to backup the whole directory of the virtual machine (say in linux it'll be in /var/lib/vmware/virtual machines/) to a linux server. Initially... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 60doses
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed to understand the process entry in ps -ef

Hi Guys, I am running a script which will refresh the views in my database. After running the script, when i ran ps -ef | grep "script_name" I found there are two entries for the same script process (actually 3 including the grep process). /bin/ksh path/scriptname sh -c... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runaway process

Hello all, My hosting provider has contacted me in order to notify about a runaway process issue. Here it is: They have given me a list of those processes but I can neither analyze nor understand what I should do. DATE Fri Nov 21 21:32:29 GMT 2008 SINFO hostname:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elwoodblues47
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opinions/Ideas/Suggestions needed

I'm currently developing a script to clean out certain directories based on age and name. Part of the assignment is to ensure that the cleaning of a directory is done under the user id of the owner (script is running as root). I have a few ideas on how to do this, but I'd like to hear your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in killing a process

I'm trying to kill a process which is in sleep mode and the parent PID is 1 but I can't kill it with "kill -9" command. Is there a way to kill this process without rebooting? Any help will be appreciated. Steve (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Runaway String Problem

Database.txt John:30:40 echo -n "New Title Please :" read NewTitle awk -F":" 'OFS = ":"{ $1 = "'$NewTitle'" ; print $0 } ' Database.txt> Database2.txt mv Database2.txt Database.txt what this does, is that when i input something into $NewTitle, it will update $1 which is "John" into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
3 Replies

10. AIX

Runaway Processes (I think)

Folks I suck a lot of things and performance issue is one of them. After upgrading from 5300-06-03 to 5300-12-04 we started seeing an issue with some runaway processes. It varies as some of these processes have a TTY accociated with them and some do not. If you could give me any idea of what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: juredd1
4 Replies
kill(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   kill(1)

Name
       kill - send a signal to a process

Syntax
       kill [-sig] processid...
       kill -l

Description
       The command sends the TERM (terminate, 15) signal to the specified processes.  If a signal name or number preceded by `-' is given as first
       argument, that signal is sent instead of terminate.  For further information, see

The terminate signal kills processes that do not catch the signal; `kill -9 ...' is a sure kill, as the KILL (9) signal cannot  be  caught.
       By convention, if process number 0 is specified, all members in the process group (that is, processes resulting from the current login) are
       signaled.  This works only if you use and not if you use To kill a process it must either belong to you or you must be superuser.

The process number of an asynchronous process started with `&' is reported by the shell.  Process numbers can also be  found  by  using	It
       allows job specifiers ``%...''  so process ID's are not as often used as arguments.  See for details.

Options
       -l   Lists  signal  names.  The signal names are listed by `kill -l', and are as given in /usr/include/signal.h, stripped of the common SIG
	    prefix.

See Also
       csh(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigvec(2)

kill(1)