Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Runaway process. Opinions needed Post 38174 by TRUEST on Tuesday 8th of July 2003 02:25:46 PM
Old 07-08-2003
Runaway process. Opinions needed

not too long ago, i wrote a very short script that will bring up 4 customized xterms. The script went completely abnormal simply because of an error I had made in a while loop. This script took control of the system and rendered everything useless. The system admin team which i was part of tried every command we could think of to kill this damn script but nothing worked. We tried fuser -k, pkill etc. Fuser -k could have worked but this script had spawn way too many pids for fuser to handle. As fuser was killing them, hundreds more were being born. the output from the uptime command was mind blowing (over 240)

now, from reading countless numbers of books, i knew there was a way I could have killed the person who started this script, which was me but I couldn't remember what command it was. To make a long story short, we had to reboot the server inorder for it to work properly

My question is, could there have been any other way we could have killed this process besides having to reboot it? I hate to fall in this same status quo again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runaway processes killed (Really need help)

I got about more than 300 emails from root with the subject "Runaway processes killed" saying that "13146 12737 97.7 6 bash" . So what should I do? Any help would be appreciate (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process automation ...help needed

hi all i am working in a organisation where we are using Ab Initio tool for datawarehousing purpose.Ab initio is installed on a unix environment.after developing the code we migrate it to production using certain commands which gets executed in the unix box.there are specific number of predefined... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
6 Replies

3. Programming

Runaway SIGALRM signal handler

I have written a program to demonstrate a problem I have encountered when using BSD style asynchronous input using the O_ASYNC flag in conjunction with a real time interval timer sending regular SIGALRM signals to the program. The SIGIO handler obeys all safe practices, using only an atomic update... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stewartw
8 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Backing up virtual machines - opinions/suggestions needed.

Hi, I was required to do a backup of a virtual machine that runs on vmware. The guest operating system is windows, and the host is windows too. I have to backup the whole directory of the virtual machine (say in linux it'll be in /var/lib/vmware/virtual machines/) to a linux server. Initially... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 60doses
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed to understand the process entry in ps -ef

Hi Guys, I am running a script which will refresh the views in my database. After running the script, when i ran ps -ef | grep "script_name" I found there are two entries for the same script process (actually 3 including the grep process). /bin/ksh path/scriptname sh -c... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runaway process

Hello all, My hosting provider has contacted me in order to notify about a runaway process issue. Here it is: They have given me a list of those processes but I can neither analyze nor understand what I should do. DATE Fri Nov 21 21:32:29 GMT 2008 SINFO hostname:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elwoodblues47
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opinions/Ideas/Suggestions needed

I'm currently developing a script to clean out certain directories based on age and name. Part of the assignment is to ensure that the cleaning of a directory is done under the user id of the owner (script is running as root). I have a few ideas on how to do this, but I'd like to hear your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pludi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in killing a process

I'm trying to kill a process which is in sleep mode and the parent PID is 1 but I can't kill it with "kill -9" command. Is there a way to kill this process without rebooting? Any help will be appreciated. Steve (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Runaway String Problem

Database.txt John:30:40 echo -n "New Title Please :" read NewTitle awk -F":" 'OFS = ":"{ $1 = "'$NewTitle'" ; print $0 } ' Database.txt> Database2.txt mv Database2.txt Database.txt what this does, is that when i input something into $NewTitle, it will update $1 which is "John" into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
3 Replies

10. AIX

Runaway Processes (I think)

Folks I suck a lot of things and performance issue is one of them. After upgrading from 5300-06-03 to 5300-12-04 we started seeing an issue with some runaway processes. It varies as some of these processes have a TTY accociated with them and some do not. If you could give me any idea of what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: juredd1
4 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)