Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Connecting to the Internet
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Connecting to the Internet Post 38145 by cbkihong on Tuesday 8th of July 2003 01:41:26 AM
Old 07-08-2003
MS win supports "Internet Connection Sharing" which is just a synonym of NAT (network address translation), or the Linux term "Masquerading".

Just set your RH to run DHCP client to dynamically get the IP and should be fine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

connecting to internet

I have installed Solaris 8.0 and want to find out how can I go in and change my network setup and external IP setup. At the moment system running but I can not connect to the internet. But my lan card shows that I am on the network. I also get some advice that I should check the $Socks but how do I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cdrive
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to the Internet

Im on XP now but when im on linux how do I connect to the internet? I don't think AOL works with it but are there any free programs that I can use with it? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NoPepsiForYou
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help connecting to the internet with solaris10

I am using solaris 10 with pentium 3. I have two network cards but none of them come up when i run <ifconfig -a> in command line. The two cards I have are : Linksys LNE 100TX and Netgear FA311. Does solaris 10 support these NICs or do I have to dowload the drivers for them. If so, can anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fidjouss
1 Replies

4. Linux

connecting to INTERNET

Hi, I can ping www.yahoo.com (then domain name server is OK) but I can not navigate by Motzila to www.yahoo.com or any other Web Site. What can be the problem ? Mozila is configured in preference /advance to go automaticaly on WEB. We are under RED HAT AS3. What should I check ? Many thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to the Internet

I have just installed Linux and everything looks great, but how do I get my browser (Mozilla) to connect to my internet service provider? I have a cable connection to Bigpond in Australia, if that means anything - the ISP will not provide support for Linux. Your help would be greatly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: openhead
2 Replies

6. Solaris

connecting to internet from solaris 10

hi there, hope your chakras are all doing well :-) just installed solaris 10 on my laptop, all seems fine except the internet. How can i connect on a DSL line?. spent 7 days and 3 nights trying but couldnt find the starting point.... alikun (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: alikun
22 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems connecting to the Internet

I am trying to connect a Solaris 10 PC to the internet via a Linksys router and a cable modem. I have tried following suggestions in one of the posts here for manual setup but so far no luck. Does the Solaris 10 install for x86 automatically pick up the internet connection? Dave :>) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dohling
4 Replies

8. Linux

Trouble connecting to internet

I am having trouble connecting to the internet. Details: OpenSuse 11.1, Cable Modem, connected to Linksys Wireless N Router, hard line from router to ethernet port on my computer. I checked network settings in YAST2, my ethernet is showing not connected. I have it set to start at boot, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stringzz
4 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Connecting internet through EVDO?

i have tried to install vlc in ubuntu. Couldn' find package error. is internet mandatory to install packages. i have tried to internet through evdo but im not able to connect. i have started a thread but no reply. here is the link Connect Script failed - Ubuntu Forums how can i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
0 Replies

10. SCO

Connecting to the internet

Hi, I have a router, 192.168.1.1, and an internet router, 10.0.0.138. I have connected the server to the 1st router and assigned it a IP address of 192.168.1.1. I can ping both routers successfully but I have no access to internet. Any suggestions? sco5.0.7 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: juan.navarrete
11 Replies
InternetSharing(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					InternetSharing(8)

NAME
InternetSharing -- simple NAT/router configuration daemon SYNOPSIS
InternetSharing -d DESCRIPTION
InternetSharing is the back-end for the Internet Sharing feature. It is responsible for configuring the network interfaces, the DHCP server bootpd(8), the network address translation daemon natd(8), and the Internet domain name server named(8). named(8) is run in caching-only mode and allows the DHCP server to always offer the same DNS server address to the DHCP clients, regardless of the value of the actual DNS server addresses. The single command line option -d places additional debugging information to stdout/stderr. InternetSharing is launched by launchd(8) both at start-up and when the user turns Internet Sharing on in the Sharing preferences pane. By default, InternetSharing configures the IP addresses for non-AirPort interfaces starting at 192.168.2.1, walking up by one class C network (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) for each subsequent interface i.e. 192.168.3.1, 192.168.4.1, 192.168.5.1, and so on. The AirPort interface by default is assigned 10.0.2.1. CONFIGURATION
InternetSharing reads the property list com.apple.nat.plist stored in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Details of the com.apple.nat.plist are subject to change and are not completely documented here. The plist is a contract between the Sharing preferences pane and InternetSharing. Any details provided here are for informational purposes only. The plist is a dictionary with a single sub-dictionary called NAT containing properties to control which interfaces to use and other set- tings. It may also have a sub-dictionary called AirPort that is used to configure the AirPort interface when it is put into access point mode. One property worth mentioning is SharingNetworkNumberStart. This property controls the behavior of InternetSharing when it configures IP addresses for the local interfaces. The property is encoded as a string containing the dotted decimal network IP address, assumed to be a class C network. For example: <key>SharingNetworkNumberStart</key> <string>192.168.100.0</string> If the SharingNetworkNumberStart appears directly in the NAT dictionary, it controls the starting IP address chosen for the non-AirPort interfaces. If the property appears within the AirPort sub-dictionary, it controls the IP address assigned to the AirPort interface. The purpose of the property is to allow the user to avoid address collisions with existing NAT'd networks. SEE ALSO
bootpd(8), launchd(8), natd(8), named(8) Mac OS X Feburary 26, 2007 Mac OS X