Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: trying to install linux
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers trying to install linux Post 38065 by bobotoes on Sunday 6th of July 2003 12:23:30 PM
Old 07-06-2003
I have a gig of ram so i don't think that is the problem. I am going to try the text install with the driver thing shortly. I'll let you know how it works out.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux install

I just recently installed Redhat linux 7.3 on an old machine and had a question. I had some problems installing and traced them to my sound card. Not wanting to waste time, I selected the smallest download possible (without doing a custom install). I didn't install any of the four optional packages... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elpinchegringo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i install in Linux?

I'm new to Linux & Unix in general. I have a system running Windows XP & i have a Linux RedHat 7.0 guest OS running in a Virtual Machine (VMware 3.0) now, i have to install the VMware tools for the Linux OS but i don't know how to install anything in Linux. How do i go about it? (i already have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: da_gee
1 Replies

3. Linux

i want some help@install linux

but where can i download some ebooks about linux howto? i am a newcomer. thank you in advance :-) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A8harrying
3 Replies

4. Linux

How to Install Linux

Hi there!!! I'm new to unix n linux .....i want to learn Linux....I heard that loading Linux u must have high sys config ...Current i've a sys with Win 98.... My system configuration: Intel Pentium III (800 MHz) RAM 64MB HDD 9GB free space in E:\ Current OS windows 98 Could u suggest me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: visix
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i install Linux????

I use windows Xp, and I am going to format my HD and make some partitions.. I want to have windows Xp and Linux installed in diferent partions. I want it so when my computer boots, I can choose which OS I would like to load. I have never installed or used Linux. so I would like to know if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vit8484
3 Replies

6. AIX

Linux install from NIM

Has anyone ever done this and is it easy to do with SLES9/10? All I can find so far is this link http://www-941.ibm.com/collaboration/wiki/display/Wikip5/16Jan07+Using+NIM+to+Install+VIO+and+Linux Can you still use all the feature of autoyast etc? TIA. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: backslash
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux column(1) from util-linux-ng for Solaris? Which *.pkg to install?

Hi On Linux systems there is a command called "column". column - columnate lists Synopsis column -tx] -c columns] -s sep] file ...] Description The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install library in linux

Hello, I try to install a library (BLCR) on Ubuntu , i'd like to install it on two machines. This library has a respository named blcr-build , i have this rep in /home/user1 in machine1 and in /home/user2 in machine2. When can i store this repository of the library so i will have the same path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
1 Replies

9. Linux

Linux install

hi i am new with linux. i have installed fedora 16 for my application to running ROMS model. in ROMS site has written that: there are one way to provide the location for the NetCDF files (and optional HDF5 library). If you are always going to be using the same compiler on each system, you can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: komijani
1 Replies
CARTON-FAQ(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    CARTON-FAQ(1p)

NAME
carton-faq - Frequently Asked Questions QUESTIONS
It looks useful, but what is the use case of this tool? The particular problem that carton is trying to address is this: You develop a Perl web application with dozens of CPAN module dependencies. You install these modules on your development machine, and describe these dependencies in your Makefile.PL or some other text format. Now you get a produciton environment on Cloud PaaS provider or some VPS, you install the dependencies using "cpanm --installdeps ." and it will pull all the latest releases from CPAN as of today and everything just works. A few weeks later, your application becomes more popular, and you think you need another machine to serve more requests. You set up another machine with vanilla perl installation and install the dependencies the same way. That will pull the latest releases from CPAN on that date, rather than the same as what you have today. And that is the problem. It's not likely that everything just breaks one day, but there's always a chance that one of the dependencies breaks an API compatibility, or just uploaded a buggy version to CPAN on that particular day. Carton allows you to lock these dependencies into a version controlled system, so that every time you deploy from a checkout, it is guaranteed that all the same versions are installed into the local environment. How is this different from DPAN or CPAN::Mini::Inject? First of all, if you currently use DPAN, CPAN::Mini::Inject, Shipwright or any other similar tools successfully, then that's totally fine. You don't need to switch to carton. If you experience difficulties with these tools, or are interested in what could be better in carton, keep on reading. carton definitely shares the goal with these private CPAN repository management tool: o Manage the dependencies tree locally o Take snapshots/lock the versions o Inject private modules into the repository Existing tools are designed to work with existing CPAN clients such as CPAN or CPANPLUS, and have accomplished that by working around the CPAN mirror structure. carton internally does the same thing, but its user interface is centerd around the installer, by implementing a wrapper for cpanm, so you can use the same commands in the development mode and deployment mode. Carton automatically maintains the carton.lock file, which is meant to be version controlled, inside your application directory. You don't need a separate database or a directory to maintain tarballs outside your application. The carton.lock file can always be generated out of the local library path, and carton can reproduce the tree using the lock file on other machines. I'm already using perlbrew and local::lib. Can I use carton with this? If you're using local::lib already with perlbrew perl, possibly with the new "perlbrew lib" command, that's great! There are multiple benefits over using perlbrew and local::lib for development and use Carton for deployment. The best practice and workflow to get your perl environment as clean as possible with lots of modules installed for quick development would be this: o Install fresh perl using perlbrew. The version should be the same against the version you'll run on the production environment (if any). o Once the installation is done, use "perlbrew lib" command to create a new local lib environment (let's call it devel) and always use the library as a default environment. Install as many modules as you would like into the devel library path. This ensures to have a vanilla "perl" library path as clean as possible. o When you build a new project that you want to manage dependencies via Carton, turn off the devel local::lib and create a new one, like carton. Install Carton and all of its dependencies to the carton local::lib path. Then run "carton install" like you normally do. Because devel and carton are isolated, the modules you installed into devel doesn't affect the process when carton builds the dependency tree for your new project at all. This could often be critical when you have a conditional dependency in your tree, like Any::Moose. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-18 CARTON-FAQ(1p)