Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to Copy Contents from CD to Hard disk Post 37874 by Perderabo on Tuesday 1st of July 2003 12:14:13 PM
Old 07-01-2003
On unix when you mount a disk, you specify a mount point. For example, if I mount /dev/md/dsk/d6 on /opt, then the files would all be under /opt.

Cdrom's under SunOS are usually handled by the volume manager. By default the volume manager will mount under /cdrom/<something> where <something> is a string that it got from the cd.

Try the command:
df -k
and see if you see anything with a "cdrom" in it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that can Copy a Range of files from Tape to Hard disk

Hi: I am a trying to write a script using a loop i guess. What I need to do is write a script that can allow my users to load a tape and copy a range of files from a tape to the hard disk. By range I mean, I would like the users to pick a range of numbers like files 3 - 8 and the script will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: msjazzie
0 Replies

3. Solaris

how to reformat a hard disk

hi i need help on how to reformat a hard disk. what should i do since i don't have any bootable disk. i'm using solaris 1 & 2 and also need to make a backup copy of the current hard disk. appreciate all the help i can get... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_balodoy
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Erasing hard disk contents using dd or dcfldd

Hi, I am writing a script to wipe my hard disk, in a relatively secure manner by over-writing the disk with 3 patterns. So, I run the dd/dcfldd command 3 times with a sync call in between each command call in the script. #!/bin/sh dcfldd pattern=99 conv=notrunc of=/dev/sda sync dcfldd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
7 Replies

6. SCO

Make a Copy Entire Hard Disk

Dear All, I have a standalone desktop with SCO Openserver V 5, this is used to control a machine with custom written software. The problem is that the machine manufacturer has closed shop (bankruptcy) and there is no support on software. As a precaution I would want to make a complete backup of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iqbal_siddiqui
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is in-core copy and disk-copy of i-node table?

I have found a question from the exercises of my study mat. The question is "Why are there a in-core copy and a disk-copy of i-node block and super block?" If any one know the proper answer then please send me..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dearanik
1 Replies

8. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

9. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

10. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies
FS_LSMOUNT(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_LSMOUNT(1)

NAME
fs_lsmount - Reports the volume for which a directory is the mount point. SYNOPSIS
fs lsmount -dir <directory>+ [-help] fs ls -d <directory>+ [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs lsmount command reports the volume for which each specified directory is a mount point, or indicates with an error message that a directory is not a mount point or is not in AFS. To create a mount point, use the fs mkmount command. To remove one, use the fs rmmount command. OPTIONS
-dir <directory>+ Names the directory that serves as a mount point for a volume. The last element in the pathname provided must be an actual name, not a shorthand notation such as one or two periods ("." or ".."). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
If the specified directory is a mount point, the output is of the following form: '<directory>' is a mount point for volume '<volume name>' where o A number sign ("#") precedes the <volume name> string for a regular mount point. o A percent sign ("%") precedes the <volume name> string for a read/write mount point. o A cell name and colon (":") follow the number or percent sign and precede the <volume name> string for a cellular mount point. The fs mkmount reference page explains how the Cache Manager interprets each of the three types of mount points. If the directory is a symbolic link to a mount point, the output is of the form: '<directory>' is a symbolic link, leading to a mount point for volume '<volume name>' If the directory is not a mount point or is not in AFS, the output reads: '<directory>' is not a mount point. If the output is garbled, it is possible that the mount point has become corrupted in the local AFS client cache. Use the fs flushmount command to discard it, which forces the Cache Manager to refetch the mount point. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the mount point for the home directory of user "smith": % fs lsmount /afs/abc.com/usr/smith '/afs/abc.com/usr/smith' is a mount point for volume '#user.smith' The following example shows both the regular and read/write mount points for the ABC Corporation cell's "root.cell" volume. % fs lsmount /afs/abc.com '/afs/abc.com' is a mount point for volume '#root.cell' % fs lsmount /afs/.abc.com '/afs/.abc.com' is a mount point for volume '%root.cell' The following example shows a cellular mount point: the State University cell's "root.cell" volume as mounted in the ABC Corporation cell's tree. % fs lsmount /afs/stateu.edu '/afs/stateu.edu' is a mount point for volume '#stateu.edu:root.cell' PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have the "l" (lookup) permission on the ACL of the root directory of the volume that houses the file or directory named by the -dir argument, and on the ACL of each directory that precedes it in the pathname. SEE ALSO
fs_flushmount(1), fs_mkmount(1), fs_rmmount(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_LSMOUNT(1)