Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vi down arrow key not working Post 37754 by RTM on Friday 27th of June 2003 11:22:20 AM
Old 06-27-2003
When in insert mode in vi, you can't use the up and down arrows or you will get exactly what you mentioned. You have to hit the Esc key, and then use the arrows.

Opps, never mind - I see what you mean. HP is does allow you to move around.

Checked on Sunsolve - it's been this way for a very long time - and from reading the following from Sunsolve, I doubt they are going to change it.

Customer complaint
Quote:
The arrow keys do not function correctly while in type-over mode (type-over
mode
is entered by typing a capital R). If an arrow key is pressed while in
type-over mode vi will exit type-over mode, returning to command mode.

They are concerned that their user's (who are not experienced
computer users) will press an arrow key while in type-over mode, continue
typing, and the keys typed will be interpeted by the vi command interpeter,
allowing for the possible descruction of data. Example:

- The user enters type-over mode by typing a R.
- The user types a string of characters then presses an arrow key.
- The user does not realize that they are no longer in type-over mode
and continues to type.
- If the user types something such as "dd" they will delete the line
that the cursor is on.
- Since the users are not experienced computer users (they are
data entry operators) they may not realize what has occured
and will continue editing the data, then save the file, thus
corrupting the data file.
Work Around
Quote:
Non-experienced users should use "vedit", a front end to vi that provides the
user with the mode in the lower portion of the screen.

Last edited by RTM; 06-27-2003 at 12:33 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

"Front" key not working

Hi, I've been having this problem for some time now and haven't found a solution yet. It is not really my responsibility, since I'm not a sys admin, but our administrator either doesn't know how to solve the problem or simply doesn't want to spend the time. So, I need to do it myself, hence... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sutapanaki
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Using arrow keys

Hello, I am unable to use the arrow keys in some applications. For example, in bash, I am able to use the arrow keys to to go back and forth characters in current line and search the history--I can do everything you'd expect to be able to do with the arrow keys. However, in bc, I cannot use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

up arrow character

Hello everybody, I am new to Unix. I am using and application that uses the rlpr print command to print from Unix and i have noticed sth strange, and i have no idea about it. When the application generates a file that start with the up arrow key character, the rlpr command prints an empty... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex1982
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS 5.10 - VI Arrow keys not working

Hi I am working on SunOS 5.10 from remote terminal using putty. Also echo $TERM xterm In vi editor when in insert mode arrow keys are not working for cursor movement instead they print A B C and D. Please help. thanks ravs (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravashingravi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does BASH handle KEY BOARD "up arrow"??

hello sir, I am studying the BASH shell. I was wondering how the BASH is able to handle the "up arrow" key to give the commands that were previously typed by us. Can you please tell me the code to do such an operation. I want to handle more such keys and put KEY BOARD short cuts to the BASH shell. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsharath
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

enable up arrow key to get last cmd..

Hello all, I wanted to know how can i enable the up arrow key to go to last cmd....on any UNIX system....looks like in some of my system(linux mostly) the up arrow key work to go to last cmd....but on hp-ux or sun...the up arrow key dose not work....is there some setting i can enable at terminal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 ssh public key authentication issue - Server refused our key

Hi, I've used the following way to set ssh public key authentication and it is working fine on Solaris 10, RedHat Linux and SuSE Linux servers without any problem. But I got error 'Server refused our key' on Solaris 8 system. Solaris 8 uses SSH2 too. Why? Please help. Thanks. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

key 'm' not working

Ubuntu 8 box was rebooted and now when I press 'm' on the keyboard it is not shown on my display. This happens in bash, when I run ksh everything is normal. I am connected through SSH using SecureCRT, my bash is: BASH_VERSION='3.2.39(1)-release' I don't remember touching any of my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

up down arrow key and edit on command line.

I am using ksh, By doing change in .profile as set -o vi my updown and history does not work. Also I can not edit command line on prompt using vi command. My TERM is vt100. What is wrong here ? Thanks. :cool: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekb
3 Replies
curs_getwch(3)						     Library Functions Manual						    curs_getwch(3)

NAME
curs_getwch, getwch, wgetwch, mvgetwch, mvwgetwch, ungetwch - Get (or push back) wchar_t characters from a Curses terminal keyboard SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int getwch( void ); int wgetwch( WINDOW *win ); int mvgetwch( int y, int x ); int mvwgetwch( WINDOW *win, int y, int x ); int ungetwch( wchar_t wch ); LIBRARY
Curses Library (libcurses) DESCRIPTION
The getwch, wgetwch, mvgetwch, and mvwgetwch routines read an EUC character from the terminal associated with the Curses window, transform the character into a wchar_t character, and return the wchar_t character. In no-delay mode, if no input is waiting, the routines return the value ERR. In delay mode, the program waits until the system passes text through to the program. In cbreak mode, the program waits until after one character. In nocbreak mode, the program waits until after the first newline. In half-delay mode, the program waits until the user types a character or until the specified timeout has been reached. Unless noecho has been set, Curses echos the character into the designated window. If the window is not a pad and has been moved or modified since the last call to wrefresh, wrefresh is called before another character is read. If keypad is TRUE and the user presses a function key, the routines return the token for that function instead of the raw characters. The <curses.h> file defines possible function keys by using integers beginning with 0401 and names beginning with KEY_. If a character that could be the beginning of a function key (such as escape) is received, curses sets a timer. If the remainder of the sequence does not come in within the designated time, the routines pass the character to the application; otherwise, they return the function key value. For this reason, many terminals experience a delay between the time a user presses the escape key and the escape is returned to the program. The ungetwch routine places wch back onto the input queue to be returned by the next call to wgetwch. Function Keys The following function keys, defined in <curses.h>, might be returned by the getwch routines if keypad has been enabled. Note a particular terminal may not support all of these function keys. In other words, the routines do not return the key values if the terminal does not transmit a unique code when the key is pressed or if the definition for the key is not present in the terminfo database. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Name Key name ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ KEY_BREAK Break key The four arrow keys KEY_DOWN KEY_UP KEY_LEFT KEY_RIGHT KEY_HOME Home key (upward+left arrow) KEY_BACKSPACE Backspace KEY_F0 Function keys; space for 64 keys is reserved. KEY_F(n) For 0 <= n <= 63 KEY_DL Delete line KEY_IL Insert line KEY_DC Delete character KEY_IC Insert char or enter insert mode KEY_EIC Exit insert char mode KEY_CLEAR Clear screen KEY_EOS Clear to end-of-screen KEY_EOL Clear to end-of-line KEY_SF Scroll one line forward KEY_SR Scroll one line backward (in reverse) KEY_NPAGE Next page KEY_PPAGE Previous page KEY_STAB Set tab KEY_CTAB Clear tab KEY_CATAB Clear all tabs KEY_ENTER Enter or send KEY_SRESET Soft (partial) reset KEY_RESET Reset or hard reset KEY_PRINT Print or copy KEY_LL Home down or bottom (lower left). The keypad is arranged like this: A1 up A3 left B2 right C1 down C3 KEY_A1 Upper left of keypad KEY_A3 Upper right of keypad KEY_B2 Center of keypad KEY_C1 Lower left of keypad KEY_C3 Lower right of keypad KEY_BTAB Back tab key KEY_BEG Beg(inning) key KEY_CANCEL Cancel key KEY_CLOSE Close key KEY_COMMAND Cmd (command) key KEY_COPY Copy key KEY_CREATE Create key KEY_END End key KEY_EXIT Exit key KEY_FIND Find key KEY_HELP Help key KEY_MARK Mark key KEY_MESSAGE Message key KEY_MOVE Move key KEY_NEXT Next object key KEY_OPEN Open key KEY_OPTIONS Options key KEY_PREVIOUS Previous object key KEY_REDO Redo key KEY_REFERENCE Ref(erence) key KEY_REFRESH Refresh key KEY_REPLACE Replace key KEY_RESTART Restart key KEY_RESUME Resume key KEY_SAVE Save key KEY_SBEG Shifted beginning key KEY_SCANCEL Shifted cancel key KEY_SCOMMAND Shifted command key KEY_SCOPY Shifted copy key KEY_SCREATE Shifted create key KEY_SDC Shifted delete character key KEY_SDL Shifted delete line key KEY_SELECT Select key KEY_SEND Shifted end key KEY_SEOL Shifted clear line key KEY_SEXIT Shifted exit key KEY_SFIND Shifted find key KEY_SHELP Shifted help key KEY_SHOME Shifted home key KEY_SIC Shifted input key KEY_SLEFT Shifted left-arrow key KEY_SMESSAGE Shifted message key KEY_SMOVE Shifted move key KEY_SNEXT Shifted next key KEY_SOPTIONS Shifted options key KEY_SPREVIOUS Shifted previous key KEY_SPRINT Shifted print key KEY_SREDO Shifted redo key KEY_SREPLACE Shifted replace key KEY_SRIGHT Shifted right-arrow key KEY_SRSUME Shifted resume key KEY_SSAVE Shifted save key KEY_SSUSPEND Shifted suspend key KEY_SUNDO Shifted undo key KEY_SUSPEND Suspend key KEY_UNDO Undo key ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ NOTES
The header file <curses.h> automatically includes the header file <stdio.h>. Programmers should not use the escape key as a single character function. When using getwch, wgetwch, mvgetwch, or mvwgetwch, applications should not use nocbreak mode and echo mode at the same time. Depending on the state of the tty driver when each character is typed, the program may produce undesirable results. Note that getwch, mvgetwch, and mvwgetwch may be macros. The routines described on this reference page are among the MNLS Curses functions that are not included in the X/Open Curses CAE specifica- tion. MNLS routines are supported only for backward compatibility reasons. Use the *get_wch functions in new applications (see curs_get_wch(3)). RETURN VALUES
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and an integer value other than ERR upon successful completion. SEE ALSO
Functions: curses(3), curs_inopts(3), curs_move(3), curs_refresh(3) curs_getwch(3)