Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can't change owner and group of a linux file Post 37731 by bache_gowda on Thursday 26th of June 2003 09:39:01 PM
Old 06-26-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by RTM
Try the following:

# su - bache
$ cd /bin
$ ls -lt login
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bache bache 17740 Jun 20 02:05 login
$ chown root:root login
$
Again same error has above
Not working

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

owner and group in Linux

I am bit unclear of how Linux was set in the real world, please advise me how it's supposed to be. When I log in as root and do a ls -l, I find: /boot, /, /var, /usr, /tmp, /home, /u01, /u02, /u03 and of of this partition is owned by root and the group also belong to root. Is that the way it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lapnguyen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the owner of the file?

How to change the owner of the file? Can I change the owner of file/ files? I am user and not admin.(not logged as root) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change owner of a file

im running into changing the ownership of a file. I am trying to change the ownership to "system", but it doesn't want to work. I sudo chown system /preferences.plist Password: chown: system: Invalid argument is there a way to read the ownership of a file, something like read chown... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBarraford
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file?

How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file? -rwxrwxr-x 1 root sys 1202 Dec 5 2002 abc.awk like here i need to set the name of root and sys to xxx xxx Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

automatically change owner and group

We have a program that when a new account is created using the webpage it creates a new directory on the linux filesystem for the account. The problem is the process that creates the directory is as root user, as I want ftpuser to be able to login I have to manually login and chown -R the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

6. Solaris

setfacl don't change permission on group owner

I try to use setfacl command to change the permission of the group primary it does not accept the command , it really accept but don't change the permission on the group. the point here I read that if I use chmod command on group primary the mask changed, but if I use setfacl mask should not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hard_revenge
0 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Change file owner

What i did: - logged in with acc1 and created a new user acc2 commands used: useradd and passwd. - Then i logged in acc2. but all the files are owned by acc1. Issue: I try to change the owner of the files using chown command . But it gives me a error message. All i want to do is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TotallyConfused
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file where the owner and group is not root

Hi, I'm the root user on my computer, but I'm writing a script that does a lot of file handling. Every time I create a file or directory it automatically requires root privileges. Is there a way I can just create a file that the user can access without a password? For example in my script I... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
20 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the group owner for a file

How would I find out who the group openers is of a file? For example: > ls -l myfile -rwxr-xr-x 1 myronp hawks 20125 Oct 20 20:50 myfile How do I return just hawks. I could do this with a series of cut or awk, but is there a more direct way. The ls -g is better, but still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dad4x
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Change group and Unmask it to 027 in Linux?

I want to propose a change to the run script environment. This would change the effective group of the wsadmin account to prodview with a umask of 027 before running our services. In linux this can be accomplished by the following #!/bin/ksh # # Original shell # newgrp prodview <<... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sindhu puja
1 Replies
logindevperm(4) 						   File Formats 						   logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. Fields are separated by TAB and/or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, ` # ', and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) will be set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format. For example, O774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. Note that a device name must be a /dev link. A device entry that is a directory name and ends with "/*" specifies all entries in the directory (except "." and ".."). For example, "/dev/fbs/*" specifies all frame buffer devices. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices will be reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typically other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2003 logindevperm(4)